helping a friend buy a projector, has anyone seen both these in action,
what would you recommend?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, George

LadyDog

Help! Optoma H31 or Infocus 4805??????
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2005, 01:56 pm »
George,
Both are excellent projectors, especially for the money.  This is really a no lose situation as your friend would/will enjoy either one.  

The 4805 is more of a plug and play projector as it will come out of the box pretty much set.  The H31 needs a bit of tweaking to get its picture to look best.

Imo, the H31 has a bit more pop to its picture.  The colors stand out more.  Depending on your view, this may be a positive or negative?

Lastly, while the blacks on the 4805 are very good, I thought there were better on the H31.  

A positive for the 4805, it has better bulb life.

As previously stated, both are great so maybe costs will be the deciding factor?  

Regards,
Jeff

werner52

Help! Optoma H31 or Infocus 4805??????
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2005, 03:09 am »
I own a H31, so I can only comment on that model.  Got it at a great price and used video essential for fine tuning the picture.  I previously owned a Sharp DT200 and the H31 is quite a step up from that projector, albeit at even a lower price.  I haven't researched any current models, but at the time Optoma won out for me.  At the prices for these models I plan on using it for 3-4 years figuring then XGA's may be the entry level price point as SVGA's are now.  

Positives:  Excellent black detail, bright vivid picture, quiet operation (The H30 had a weird pitch to the fan IMO).
Negatives:  Can't quite get reds to look really blood red, has a lean towards red/orange, have heard about some issues when using HTPC, however I use a standalone player and it performs flawless.