JVC U.S. Closing in April, 2006

SWG255

« on: 1 Oct 2005, 05:32 pm »
According to the latest Music Direct email, JVC U.S. will be closing its doors April, 2006. So, it looks like the first corporate fatality of the "Hi-Res wars" is the XRCD, which some say are among the best sounding digital discs one can buy.

I've never purchased any, feeling their price tag of $25 or more to be too high. Also, the sound quality of these discs has not been universally praised, some discs are reported to be too bright. However, with the likelihood that these undoubtedly high-quality CDs will be disappearing soon, I think I'll pick up a couple from Music Direct.

Does anyone here have a favorite they'd recommend? Just about any kind of music would suit me. They obviously specialize in classical and jazz releases and I recall someone mentioning some rock, like Dire Straits.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2005, 06:48 pm »
SWG255:
   I would recommend "Pictures at an exhibition" by Mussorgsky. CJVC0016. I have it on a CD but not this CJVC. Very nice orchestral work.

Cheers
                              Charlie

PhilNYC

Re: JVC U.S. Closing in April, 2006
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2005, 11:23 pm »
Quote from: SWG255
According to the latest Music Direct email, JVC U.S. will be closing its doors April, 2006. So, it looks like the first corporate fatality of the "Hi-Res wars" is the XRCD, which some say are among the best sounding digital discs one can buy. ...

I think they are just closing the US distribution center.  XRCD will continue to operate in Japan.

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2005, 11:28 pm »
Does anyone here have a favorite they'd recommend? Just about any kind of music would suit me. They obviously specialize in classical and jazz releases and I recall someone mentioning some rock, like Dire Straits. ...

Here are some that I like very much...

Doug Mcleod - Come to Find (blues)
Sonny Rollins - Way Out West (jazz - a classic)
Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard (jazz - another classic)
Wes Montgomery - Full House (jazz)
Lightnin' Hopkins - Howlin' Wolf (blues)
Jazz at the Pawnshop (jazz - superb recording, competent and energetic performance)

Btw - the Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms was an XRCD that was not imported to the US by JVC...you had to get it as an import from Asia.  The Eagles' Hell Freezes Over XRCD is also available that way...

SWG255

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2005, 02:08 pm »
Thanks for the list and the clarification on the imported XRCDs. The Sonny Rollins and Bill Evans are on my short list for sure, many of the classical discs are available on SACD for LESS money, perhaps this is why the U.S. distributor is closing its doors next April. I might spring for the Eagles XRCD, but $40 is expensive. Do you think it would sound significantly better than the standard CD release?

Quote from: PhilNYC
Here are some that I like very much...

Doug Mcleod - Come to Find (blues)
Sonny Rollins - Way Out West (jazz - a classic)
Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard (jazz - another classic)
Wes Montgomery - Full House (jazz)
Lightnin' Hopkins - Howlin' Wolf (blues)
Jazz at the Pawnshop (jazz - superb recording, competent and energetic performance)

Btw - the Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms was an XRCD that was not imported to the US by JVC...you had to get it as an import from Asia.  The Eagles' Hell Freezes Over XRCD is also available that way...

PhilNYC

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2005, 02:21 pm »
Thanks for the list and the clarification on the imported XRCDs. The Sonny Rollins and Bill Evans are on my short list for sure, many of the classical discs are available on SACD for LESS money, perhaps this is why the U.S. distributor is closing its doors next April. I might spring for the Eagles XRCD, but $40 is expensive. Do you think it would sound significantly better than the standard CD release?

I've never done a comparison between the regular and XRCD versions for the Eagles, but every other XRCD I've owned that has a regular version, there was no question that the XRCD was more to my liking.

FWIW, I traded emails with someone at XRCD's US operations. Apparently, Music Direct never contacted JVC to confirm their info about shutting down their US operations before sending out that newsletter. At this moment, no final decisions have been made about JVC's US distributor...

SWG255

It wasn't much of a sale anyway
« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2005, 10:31 pm »
That's disturbing to hear Music Direct may not have the whole story on JVC U.S. closing. Of course, the sale they're presenting isn't really much of a deal, less than a dollar off, and only on the $25.99 discs, and only in lots of four. I understand these folks are a small business, but if they're going to have a sale on something, i'd think they could do better than that.