Toroids

jesserparker

Toroids
« on: 18 Apr 2003, 07:15 pm »
what toroids is everyone out there using on their AKSA's, and what are your opinions on them?  prices?

Malcolm Fear

Toroids
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2003, 07:23 pm »
I live in Australia, I bought mine from Jaycar.

Darren Thomas

Toroids
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2003, 07:45 pm »
I used Toroid Corporation of Maryland, very nice transformers.

http://www.toroid.com

Darren

Carlman

Toroids
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2003, 10:20 pm »
I used Plitron's standard transformers.  They're at www.plitron.com.
I have no reference for other transformers as to what's good or bad.  I know my amp is dead silent, though.
-Carl

mamsterla

Toroids
« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2003, 10:37 pm »
To round out the survey, I have used Avel Lindberg transformers and again they are silent (no buzzing here).

AKSA

Toroids
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2003, 11:36 pm »
All the toroids listed, and including the Antrim line, from Ireland and made under licence around the world, seem to be fine.  From reports of all these toroids, it would appear there are few bad toroids around, and I have also used Chinese toroids which seem quite good as well.

One issue with toroids can be DC-induced hum.  All mains supplies, and particularly in the states where a biphase transformer is used for light/power, suffer a small amount of DC on the line, typically 300mV.  Toroids, because of their high magnetic flux densities (typically 1.5 tesla), are susceptible to DC, which sets a small DC current and skews the B/I S-shaped curve to one side of zero.  This can take one half cycle (depending on the direction of the DC current through the primary) into saturation, and this almost always makes an irritating buzz.  EIs are not so sensitive to this, but then EIs have high radiation at low currents, so it's swings and roundabouts (as always!!).

There is a circuit, originating in Russia I believe, which uses a strapped bridge rectifier to eliminate the DC current, and this scotches it.  But it adds expense and complexity, of course, and offsets the space/cost advantages of a toroid.   :(

Cheers,

Hugh

mb

Toroids
« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2003, 11:37 pm »
Several builders in Singapore have used either Nuvotem-Talema (from RS Components) or Avel-Lindberg (from Farnell, special order). No issues found, AFAIK. Around US$35-50.

cmscott6

Toroids
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2003, 10:52 pm »
For the record, I also used the Avel Lindberg.  No problems whatsoever, and I received the order in three days.