Greg Brown/ Going Driftless

dwk

« on: 28 Sep 2005, 03:31 pm »
'Tribute' albums normally don't interest me much, but I picked up "Going Driftless - An Artist'sTribute to Greg Brown" a while ago, and have to say that anyone who is a fan of acoustic/folk music should give it a listen.  It's become one of my favorite albums over the year or two that I've had it. Since it's obviously rather obscure, I thought it would be worth calling attention to.

A couple points about it. First, I had no idea who Greg Brown was when I bought it, and still don't for the most part. He's a contemporarly folk singer/songwriter, but I've never heard him do his own songs. This may or may not have an impact on how I view the album as I have no history or preconceptions about his music.

Second, this is an album done entirely with female artists. This smacks of being a gimmick, but it succeeds quite nicely.  It's possible the material is softened slightly by this, or it might just be that each singer is interpreting a song they were influenced by and so is bringing a fresh perspective.  Notably, these are not just any female artists - it's almost a who's who of contemporary female folkies. Lucinda Williams, Ani DiFranco, Shawn Colvin, Gillian Welch, Lucy Kaplansky and more - even Eliza Gilkyson (my in-laws bought a property in Taos NM from Eliza Gilkyson which is part of what made me notice this album. Not surprisingly, this album is note-perfect for late night Taos listening in front of a fire).  

The material runs to the personal rather than political, and the wide range of artists brings a variety to the interpretations that might not have been there originally, but still runs pretty true to the acoustic guitar/vocal foundation (although not purely so - there is backing instrumentation).

Anyway, highly recommended.

Thump553

« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2005, 04:29 pm »
In the modern folkie world, Greg Brown is pretty much the top of the heap (at least in my small opinion) as far as songwriters go.  His voice takes a bit of getting used to-think of a milder Tom Waits/ Leonard Cohen type, but it's certainly enjoyable.

As an introduction to him I'd strongly recommend a greatest hits package "If Only I Had Known"-it includes a real nice half hour long DVD documentary from the early nineties.  Here's a link to a description of it:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:zzev97idkr0t

Ironically, Eliza Gilkyson is one of my current favorites after catching her at Falconridge Folk Festival this year.  Her latest album, Paradise Hotel, has a great anti-Bush anthemn "Man of God."  That's a song that belongs on the top of the charts.

Bernd

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2005, 04:33 pm »
Hi,

I too discovered Greg Brown only this year. A most amazing Singer/Songwriter.
Check out his album "The Poet Game".
I will try and get hold of a copy of the album you mentioned.

Peace

Bernd

dwk

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2005, 05:20 pm »
Quote from: Thump553
In the modern folkie world, Greg Brown is pretty much the top of the heap (at least in my small opinion) as far as songwriters go.  His voice takes a bit of getting used to-think of a milder Tom Waits/ Leonard Cohen type, but it's certainly enjoyable.

Hmm, since I'm a big-time fan of both Tom and L.C, I guess I'll have to add Greg to my list of future purchases. Certainly can't disagree with the level of his writing based on this sample.

R_burke

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2005, 06:36 pm »
A couple points about it. First, I had no idea who Greg Brown was when I bought it, and still don't for the most part. He's a contemporarly folk singer/songwriter, but I've never heard him do his own songs. This may or may not have an impact on how I view the album as I have no history or preconceptions about his music.

Second, this is an album done entirely with female artists. This smacks of being a gimmick, but it succeeds quite nicely. It's possible the material is softened slightly by this, or it might just be that each singer is interpreting a song they were influenced by and so is bringing a fresh perspective.

Had you heard Greg Brown's voice you would have understood the irony of having a tribute done by only women.  As was already pointed out his voice is Waits/Cohen like, very deep, sometimes growly.

I really like him and his voice, the idea of a female voice singing his songs intrigues me, but I will have to hear it before buying.  Thanks for mentioning this one