what is a "phantom" center speaker?

pennylane

« on: 28 Sep 2005, 08:04 am »
Say I have a 4 speaker system and I want to enable surround sound (Dolby or some other one).  Is there a way I can somehow get the center channel into both left and right speakers so I have dialogue in movies?

I saw something about a "phantom center" but I don't know how it works.  I have a Harman Kardon AVR-330 receiver.  Can I use that to get a phantom center?

rosconey

« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2005, 08:12 am »
turn the center speaker off -not just a unplug ,use the reciever menu options and set to no speakers for the center channel

pennylane

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2005, 08:14 am »
So it's something every receiver can do?  It's not a special option?  I can enable the fancier Dolby surround sound modes and do that?

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2005, 10:50 am »
Many receivers will do this, and some people like the phantom center so well they've never purchased a center.  For my receiver, I remember that I had to say I had no center channel, but I also had to run each speaker full range for some reason.  Without doing that, the receiver woudn't accept no center channel.  I did tests with and without my center channel.  I find a center channel to be highly useful -- on the opening to Lord of the Rings, for instance, without the center channel, my R/L front speakers sounded strained.  Nonetheless, without a center channel sounded pretty darn good and is almost as good as a center for voices, which is what the center does 90 percent of the time anyway.