Finish this Sentence

Allezvite

Finish this Sentence
« on: 27 Sep 2005, 06:50 pm »
I love everything about my Bryston  ------  except for.........

With me, I love everything about my Bryston 3BSST except the @&*#$% membrane power switch.  You have to find just the right sweetspot and use just the right amount of pressure for just the right amount of time in order for it to work.  I've had it cycle on and off because I held it for too long.  I've had it refuse to turn on while I switched positions of my finger to find the right place on the switch to depress.  Just a little bit too much trouble for a simple on-off thingie.

ScottMayo

Re: Finish this Sentence
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2005, 07:09 pm »
Quote from: Allezvite

With me, I love everything about my Bryston 3BSST except the @&*#$% membrane power switch.  You have to find just the right sweetspot and use just the right amount of pressure for just the right amount of time in order for it to work.  I've had it cycle on and off because I held it for too long.  I've had it refuse to turn on while I switched positions of my finger to find the right place on the switch to depress.  Just a little bit too much trouble for a simple on-off thingie.

I've been very happy with the trigger port on the back of the amp. By supplying 5-12v (either polarity) to it, you can turn the amp on or off. This means you can take virtually any common wall wart, cut off the jack, wire a switch in, and use it as a remote on/off switch for the amp.

I do something like that as part of my room automation. I haven't touched the actual amps in days. :-)

brystonbrad

Finish this Sentence
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2005, 09:10 pm »
Leave it on ALL the time :!:

Phil A

Finish this Sentence
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2005, 01:12 am »
Either of the above suggestions will work.  The only time I have to touch mine is for the rare power failure.  If you have a preamp with a mini-jack (12vtrigger) vs. bare wire terminals you can easily make something that will work.  My SP1.7 turns on my 14BSST which turns on my 6BSST and then I have an adapter from the bare wire on the 6BSST to my DVD player.  One touch of the button and everything is on.

nirmal

Finish this Sentence
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2005, 03:32 pm »
Hi,
If your CD player has a D-sub type port at the back for an external remote, you can take a trigger voltage from this to turn the bryston on everytime you turn on the CD player. No internal modifications needed, just £2 worth of connectors and wires from your local electronics store. Works brilliantly.

Cheers,
Nirmal.

nicolasb

Finish this Sentence
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2005, 04:24 pm »
I'd like to see a mod to the SP1.7 that lets it use an external power supply such as the MPS-2, thereby (one might fondly speculate) bringing its analogue pre-amp performance in line with that of the BP26.

Balanced inputs on the SP1.7 would be nice too, although you'd need a new and much larger back-plane.

But, now that we've been told we are going to get parametric EQ on the SP1.7, the single biggest missing feature by some way is a jitter removal phase on the digital inputs. An obvious and useful (although not ideal) possiblity would be to add asynchronous upsampling of the same sort that is already done on BP25DA, BP26DA, B60DA, etc.

Adz523

Finish this Sentence
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2005, 11:44 pm »
Quote from: nicolasb
......But, now that we've been told we are going to get parametric EQ on the SP1.7, the single biggest missing feature by some way is a jitter removal phase on the digital inputs. An obvious and useful (a ...

Would a bybee filter into the digital in of the 1.7 help out in reducing jitter??

Phil A

Finish this Sentence
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2005, 01:49 am »
I've already asked James about the outboard power supply in another thread and he replied no - love to see that too.  If they wouldn't do that I'd love to see a trade-in program from an SP 1.7 for a BP-26 with a home theater bypass feature and an outboard processor.  Wishful thinking I suspect.

nicolasb

Finish this Sentence
« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2005, 09:33 am »
Quote from: Adz523
Would a bybee filter into the digital in of the 1.7 help out in reducing jitter??

I've no idea, but I would be inclined to be suspicious of any product that is described as a "quantum purifier", let alone one that also includes the word "slipstream" in the description of how it works. For starters I'd be worried about a lack of capacity in the anti-proton tanks leading to an unstable exotic matter explosion.  :?

ScottMayo

Finish this Sentence
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2005, 01:59 pm »
Quote from: nicolasb
Quote from: Adz523

I've no idea, but I would be inclined to be suspicious of any product that is described as a "quantum purifier", let alone one that also includes the word "slipstream" in the description of how it works. For starters I'd be worried about a lack of capacity in the anti-proton tanks leading to an unstable exotic matter explosion.  :?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I could be wrong, but I don't see Bryston as a believer in the bybee thing. I'd be fascinated if, as a public service, they hooked one up and proceeded to do some measurements to show exactly what change the bybee makes. Maybe some civic minded type should buy a bybee for the Bryston engineers and ask if they'll do an evaluation... :-)

ctviggen

Finish this Sentence
« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2005, 02:54 pm »
Although I too am leery of anything that works on a quantum scale, I have purchased a digital IC with bybees and a speaker cable connection (between the bass and highs/mids for my RM40s) with bybees.  Unfortunately, I don't have copies of these without bybees in the system.  I purchased these largely on the advice of a dealer, who said that bybees helped.  I also haven't had time to do a digital IC comparison between my previous digital IC and the IC with bybees.

nicolasb

Finish this Sentence
« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2005, 03:14 pm »
Well, almost any semiconductor device (any transistor or integrated circuit) is a "quantum device" in certain respects - their behaviour is described more usefully by quantum mechanics rather than by classical physics, and the processes that happen inside them are sub-atomic processes. But, having had a quick read of the blurb on the bybee site, I really have no idea what it's claiming to do.

Check this out:

Within any playback system, musical and visual information is transmitted by electrons flowing through conductors. As electrons interact with the conductive materials of cables and circuits, very low-level (quantum) noises are generated. As quantum noise energy accumulates in the propagating signal, low-level details pertaining to ambience, soundstage, timbre, dynamics, color fidelity and picture resolution are obscured, robbing the presentation of vividness and life.

Bybee Quantum Purifiers operate on the quantum mechanical level to regulate the flow of electrons that make up the signal (picture a metering light regulating freeway traffic flow). Current flow within the Quantum Purifier is unimpeded and ideal (think of the unencumbered flow of traffic on a lightly traveled expressway). During transit through the Quantum Purifier, quantum noise energy is stripped off the electrons, streamlining their flow through ensuing conductors. Unwanted quantum noise energy dissipates as heat within the Quantum Purifier rather than emerging as a layer of contamination residue over the audio/video information.

The benefits of this process extend beyond the physical length of the Quantum Purifier. As electrons speed through the purifier, a "slipstream" effect is formed which facilitates current flow in the surrounding conductors of the playback system. Introducing Bybee Quantum Purification into the electron path reduces quantum noise and increases signal velocity, resulting in performance improvement beyond what is attainable by any cable alone, no matter how well designed.

This sounds like the worst kind of snake-oil to me.

madders

Finish this Sentence
« Reply #12 on: 4 Oct 2005, 09:21 pm »
except....having green LED's instead of blue ones so they match the rest of my kit!!  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Allezvite

I love everything about my Bryston except.....
« Reply #13 on: 2 Dec 2005, 05:10 pm »
Quote from: madders
except....having green LED's instead of blue ones so they match the rest of my kit!!  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Aha, back on topic again.

Mike-48

Re: Finish this Sentence
« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2005, 12:39 am »
Quote from: Allezvite

... the weight of the 14B SST, though I understand it is unavoidable.