Tempest / Subwoofer Connection?

Tuner

« on: 27 Sep 2005, 03:50 am »
Hi all,

First time poster here.  By way of introduction, I'm a long-time stereo nut, but raising (i.e., financing) kids has kept my hobby on the mid-fi burner for the past 15 years.  Recent developments (i.e., mid-life crisis) have spurred a rekindling of my love for audio, and I have discovered and become an avid fan of the Odyssey products.  

I purchased a Stratos amp (w/ cap. upgrade) about three years ago and learned that there was, indeed, life beyond Adcom (not knocking them... I've loved my old Adcom gear for the past 15 years).  More recently, I picked up a pair of Loreleis and a Tempest Extreme.  Music has never sounded better in my house!

I'm still experimenting with the Loreleis, and sometimes think I'd like just a bit more bass than I've been able to get out of them so far (heresey, I know...).  An audio friend has loaned me a pair of powered subs to evaluate, but I'm not sure about the best way to connect them to the Tempest; it only has one set of outputs.  I'm considering buying a pair of Audioquest hard y-adapters that would allow me to connect both the subs and the Loreleis to the Tempest, but am concerned about signal degradation to the Loreleis.  I don't want to mess up a good thing!

Anyone have any relavent experience or wisdom they could share?

Tuner

Re: Tempest / Subwoofer Connection?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2005, 04:16 am »
Ooops, I meant to say that I want to find a way to connect both the subs and the Stratos to the Tempest.

It's late...

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2005, 04:25 pm »
Hey,...
Do you have two sets of Pre-OUTs?
If so, that's how I would do it, one set to the stratos the other to the sub...
Sonny

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2005, 04:32 pm »
For a longer term fix, you could get a NHT X2 active crossover.

You send the signal from the Tempest to the X2, then from the X2 you send the high pass to the Stratos and the low pass to the subs.

The NHT can be had for under it's $350 MSRP and is a pretty good adjustable active XO.

Sending the Tempest back to Klaus for a second set of outputs if it doesn't have them would be a logical choice as well, especially if the subs have their own low pass filter.

Tuner

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2005, 06:06 pm »
Hey,...
Do you have two sets of Pre-OUTs?
If so, that's how I would do it, one set to the stratos the other to the sub...
Sonny

Unfortunately, my Tempest only has one set of Pre-outs -- that's the problem.

For a longer term fix, you could get a NHT X2 active crossover.

You send the signal from the Tempest to the X2, then from the X2 you send the high pass to the Stratos and the low pass to the subs.

The NHT can be had for under it's $350 MSRP and is a pretty good adjustable active XO.

Sending the Tempest back to Klaus for a second set of outputs if it doesn't have them would be a logical choice as well, especially if the subs have their own low pass filter.

Thanks for the suggestions, Marbles.  If I decide to keep and use the subs, I'll probably eventually send the Tempest back to Klaus and have him install a second set of outputs.  Whatever I do during the interim would only be a temporary solution.  Don't think I want to invest in an external crossover....  Do you think the hard y-adapter would degrade the signals to the Stratos, and thus to the Loreleis?

The subs (Yamaha YST-SW315's) have a user adjustable, continuously variable "high cut" filter that is supposed to limit the highest frequency the subs will deliver.  The filter is adjustable within a range of 40 to 140 hz.  I haven't checked yet to see how well it works, though.

Do you know how much Klaus would charge to install a second set of outputs?

rosconey

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2005, 06:42 pm »
your yamaha has the speaker connectins you can use for the subs-
tempest to sub and sub out to speaker :mrgreen:

F-100

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2005, 07:56 pm »
Quote from: Tuner
Do you think the hard y-adapter would degrade the signals to the Stratos, and thus to the Loreleis?

Yes, don't bother to go this route. I'd tried this method and definitely degrade d the sound

Do you know how much Klaus would charge to install a second set of outputs?

Your best bet is to call Klaus. If he is in the good mood or the Colts is winning then he will do it for free. :)

djbnh

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2005, 09:57 pm »
Ever think of upgrading to the Extreme Monos? It might be worth it to get Klaus' opinion re: would a sub be necessary if you were running the Extremes instead of a cap-upgraded Stratos...

bunky

Re: Tempest / Subwoofer Connection?
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2005, 12:29 am »
Quote from: Tuner
Hi all,

First time poster here.  By way of introduction, I'm a long-time stereo nut, but raising (i.e., financing) kids has kept my hobby on the mid-fi burner for the past 15 years.  Recent developments (i.e., mid-life crisis) have spurred a rekindling of my love for audio, and I have discovered and become an avid fan of the Odyssey products.  

I purchased a Stratos amp (w/ cap. upgrade) about three years ago and learned that there was, indeed, life beyond Adcom (not knocking them... I've loved my old ...
have you tried moving the Loreleis closer to the back wall? if you have not give it a try you may find with the added bass reinforcement it might sound closer to what you are looking for.

Tuner

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2005, 05:33 am »
Quote from: rosconey
your yamaha has the speaker connectins you can use for the subs-
tempest to sub and sub out to speaker

And bypass my Stratos???

Quote from: djbnh
Ever think of upgrading to the Extreme Monos? It might be worth it to get Klaus' opinion re: would a sub be necessary if you were running the Extremes instead of a cap-upgraded Stratos...

Unfortunately, my upgrade budget is already in deficit status after recently buying the Tempest, the Loreleis, and some new interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords.  Plus, I also have a Squeezebox 2 on order....

Quote from: bunky
have you tried moving the Loreleis closer to the back wall? if you have not give it a try you may find with the added bass reinforcement it might sound closer to what you are looking for.

Well, I'm not finished experimenting yet, but I *have* tried a number of different positions and have not been completely satisfied with bass response yet.  I currently have the backs of the speakers 24 in. out from the back wall, and am using little to no toe-in.  If I move them much closer than 16 in. to the back wall, the sound starts to flatten out and the mids and highs start to sound congested.

Don't get me wrong, the Loreleis definitely put out the bass.  It's just that when listening to some recordings, I yearn for just a bit more (or maybe a bit too much)...   :wink:

Since the y-adapters were so inexpensive, I went ahead and ordered a pair of them the other day.  I'll report on my findings after I've experimented with them.  Am starting to believe, though, that a call to Klaus about installing a second set of outputs is probably the best way to go.

Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions!

rosconey

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2005, 07:39 am »
man i screwd up- :oops: \
you use the speaker outs from your amp to your sub speaker in,then hook up the speaker outs from the sub to your main speakers-

i would do it this way over the y adapters- if you talked to klaus he would say dont use them-at least he did when i asked about them before