dual clari-t?

dlowman

dual clari-t?
« on: 26 Sep 2005, 08:23 pm »
Does anyone know how much a dual clari-t costs with the upgrades.  My speakers are only 89db so not the most effecient.    Stupid quesiton, but does 2 clari-t's give me more volume?
also how would you go hooking up a powered sub to one of these?

My plans are to use a squeezebox2, plugged directly into my ART di/0 modded DAC.  then directly into the clari-t's

Thanks,
Dan

gary

dual clari-t?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2005, 08:36 pm »
What speakers have you got? The efficiency rating doesn't tell the whole story, my 88dB/W Onix Ref 1's sounded phenomenal driven by the Clari-T while my 89dB/W Rocket ELT's sound absolutely horrible.

Gary

MttBsh

Yes, more volume
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2005, 08:51 pm »
Having owned a stock Clari-T and now a dual mono version, I can tell you the dual mono does indeed provide more volume - I'd guess about 30% more - too loud at full volume for my 90db Soliloquys, and the quality of that sound is much improved as well. It's the way to go.

Matt

dlowman

dual clari-t?
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2005, 10:09 pm »
Quote from: gary
What speakers have you got? The efficiency rating doesn't tell the whole story, my 88dB/W Onix Ref 1's sounded phenomenal driven by the Clari-T while my 89dB/W Rocket ELT's sound absolutely horrible.

Gary

I have a pair of EFE T-20 speakers.  Here are the specs

2way 3driver seal cabinet
Drivers:
Woofer –Dual 6 ½” woven wool (8 ohm)
Tweeter - 25mm soft dome (8 ohm)
Frequency Range:
50Hz – 20kHz +0/- 4db
Crossover:
Second order – 3000Hz/12db per octave slope
Impedance:
8 ohms
Sensitivity:
89db /1watt/1 meter
Power rating:
5 watts minimum
150 watts max (clean power)
Enclosure:
5/8” MDF throughout – glossy piano black lacquer finish
Gracefully curved cabinet sides
Dimensions:
T-20 - 20”H X 8”W (5” rear) X 13”D

maxwalrath

dual clari-t?
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2005, 12:08 am »
you may want to consider the Teac for less efficient speakers

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: dual clari-t?
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2005, 10:55 am »
Quote from: dlowman
Does anyone know how much a dual clari-t costs with the upgrades.  My speakers are only 89db so not the most effecient.    Stupid quesiton, but does 2 clari-t's give me more volume?
also how would you go hooking up a powered sub to one of these?

My plans are to use a squeezebox2, plugged directly into my ART di/0 modded DAC.  then directly into the clari-t's

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Red Wine Circle!

Regarding pricing info on a dual-mono, it depends on the upgrades, features, etc.  A ballpark figure of a dual-mono amp with all the major upgrades (no volume control, input select switch, etc) is around $999.00.

I am in the process of updating the Red Wine Audio website, and plan to better organize the Clari-T-Amp customization options and pricing info.  I'm been meaning to do this for a while now, but have been too busy keeping up with so many other things...  :wink:  This will be finished after RMAF.

You can't connect a dac with a constant volume control directly to a power amp.  You'll need a premap (passive or active), which can be as simple as a passive volume control.  Or, you might be able to use the SB2's volume control for the digital output to your dac.  Another option is to have your SB2 modded with battery power and plenty of tweaks that will make its volume controlled output stage sing with the Clari-T:
http://www.redwineaudio.com/SB2_Mods.html

As for a subwoofer, you cannot use the speaker outputs of a Tripath amp if the subwoofer ties its L- and R- terminals together.  See:
http://www.redwineaudio.com/SB2_Mods.html

If your sub has line-level (RCA) inputs, you can try using a splitter to split the signal coming out of your preamp (or volume controlled dac) between the Clari-T and the subwoofer.  Most powered subs have high input impendace, so you should be fine...

Hope this helps,

TommyC

dual clari-t?
« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2005, 08:21 am »
Quote from: dlowman
I have a pair of EFE T-20 speakers.  Here are the specs

Dan,

I can't help you with the Clari-t question, but my experience with the EFE T-20's (a close friend of mine uses them in his HT) is that they are not a terribly hard speaker to drive.  I would think that the Red Wine modded Teac Tri-Path would be a better option, though.  I think the extra horsepower would be noticeable with these speakers.  When fed from a good quality system, they are Great sounding speakers!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
dual clari-t?
« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2005, 10:24 am »
5 seconds is all I needed to know that the extra horsepower from the Teac is the ticket over the stock Clari-T with my 89 dB/w/m (very amp friendly) speakers in a 2000 cu. ft. room.  I'm no headbanger, but the commanding grip (even more solid bass and greatly improved dynamics) was obvious.

maxwalrath

dual clari-t?
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2005, 12:18 pm »
Dual mono does give you more power than single, but I think JLM has it right with the TEAC (from all the threads I've followed, no 1st hand comparison)

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
dual clari-t?
« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2005, 04:24 pm »
Quote from: JLM
5 seconds is all I needed to know that the extra horsepower from the Teac is the ticket over the stock Clari-T with my 89 dB/w/m (very amp friendly) speakers in a 2000 cu. ft. room.  I'm no headbanger, but the commanding grip (even more solid bass and greatly improved dynamics) was obvious.

I second Jeff, even though I haven't heard the 30wpc Teac, and I upgraded from stock ClariT with volume control to monoblocks w/o VC.  One observation though:  last week I installed the overdue BSC circuits (filters) into the humongous FTA2000s and used the ClariT monos (similar to dual mono) to drive them.  For the first few hours I heard several intermitten clipping incidents and thought, "Yeah, these speakers really need something like a 50wpc Patek amp."  Days later (and for the last few days) when the new filters started to settle in (I guess), no more clipping could be heard from the combo.  Instead, a huge change to the overall sound (basically what Jeff and other FTA owners described) took place:  substantial increase in low extension, fuller mids, subtly smoother highs, and somewhat lower efficiency.  I'm still amazed at how two little T-amps, battery powered, 6 watters, can manage to drive the speakers (now essentially 87db-88db) to be sounding this good.  I could continue to sample more amps, but these little amps I would never let go.  Vinnie did a very good, perhaps even the best, modification job on this TA2024 evaluation board.  And I know that when I would ever need more or less gain from these amps, I can always send them back to Red Wine and ask Vinnie to adjust the gain (Vinnie, correct me if I am wrong).

miklorsmith

dual clari-t?
« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2005, 04:36 pm »
Vinnie has changed the gain in my amps a couple times, free o' charge.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
dual clari-t?
« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2005, 11:00 pm »
Quote from: Paul_Bui
And I know that when I would ever need more or less gain from these amps, I can always send them back to Red Wine and ask Vinnie to adjust the gain (Vinnie, correct me if I am wrong)....

Paul,

You are CORRECT!  :thumb: