Aluminum columns for audio racks

aggielaw

« on: 26 Sep 2005, 07:52 pm »
Hi all.  This is just a touch off-circle, but I don't see a more appropriate place for it.

I'm looking to build my own audio rack, and need to know where I can find aluminum columns to hold the shelves together.  I would prefer a brushed aluminum, but I'll take what I can get.

Also, ideas for affixing the shelves to the columns would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Howard

jimbop

« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2005, 04:17 am »
I don't where to source the aluminum columns, but my rack is built with with 1.5" diameter brushed aluminum tubes between the shelves. The top shelf has a theraded insert on the bottom side, and there is a long threaded rod that runs through all the tubes with a threaded spike at the bottom that holds it all together. The aluminum tubes have a plastic circular spacer at each end that keep them all centered on the rod.

I disassembled mine a few years ago and put foam pipe insulation inside the tubes to deaden them a bit, and then later I filled the remaining spaces with sand, which really helped.

I've been trying to find a suitable replacement for the aluminum tubes, so that I can change the shelf heights.

JD

Celeste

metal sources
« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2005, 10:56 pm »
Try Metal Express or Metals on Line.  shippping costs can get high with metal , so look for one that has it in stock near you.

Have big fun
Celeste