Problem With Receiver?

John151

Problem With Receiver?
« on: 26 Sep 2005, 05:03 pm »
I have an NAD T762 that I have been very happy with.  However, recently, I get a popping sound in the rear speakers under some situations.  I have observed the following:

1)  I get a "pop" when I change channels on the cable box (via Optical connection)
2)  I get a "pop" when I change chapters on a DVD (via Coax connection).
3)  When the Cable material changes, such as for a commerical  or when the cable just gets hosed for a few seconds, I get  several consecutive pops.
4)  On occasion, the receiver will shut down after a "pop".  When this occurs, the on/off light will glow red, which indicates that the protection circuitry was engaged.  
5)  The "pops" do not happen when the source is from RCA jacks.
6)  The "pops" don't come thru the front speakers, which are powered by an external amp(Odyssey Stratos).

Has anyone experienced this before?  Is there enough information to diagnose, or at least pin point the receiver?  Any ideas or suggestions?

Digi-G

Problem With Receiver?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2005, 09:04 pm »
Wow, I haven't heard of that problem before.  I'm not really an electrical guy, so I can't comment on grounding problems and such.

I wonder about the cable box though.  Have you tried disconnecting the cable box from the receiver to see if that changes anything?  Are you doing any video switching thru the receiver (i.e. using the receiver to switch between dvd and cable)?

Lastly, I would wonder if there's a problem with the amp in the receiver (although I wouldn't totally understand whats causing it).  I wonder if the front channels would do the same thing if you were using the amps from the receiver instead of the Odyssey.

Good luck.  Please let us know if you find the culprit.

pugs

Problem With Receiver?
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2005, 11:58 pm »
I had a problem like that before with my Denon AVR4800.  Whenever I switched sources, switched from analog to digital, or pressed mute, I got a pop out of my subwoofer.  It turned out to be something with the mute circuit.  the Good Guys couldn't find the problem originally, but somebody on AVSforum helped me out.  I had to tell Good Guys what the problem was and they finally fixed it.  I think it was a bad transister on the mute circuit if that makes sense.

John151

Problem With Receiver?
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2005, 02:50 am »
Quote from: pugs
I had a problem like that before with my Denon AVR4800.  Whenever I switched sources, switched from analog to digital, or pressed mute, I got a pop out of my subwoofer.  It turned out to be something with the mute circuit.  the Good Guys couldn't find the problem originally, but somebody on AVSforum helped me out.  I had to tell Good Guys what the problem was and they finally fixed it.  I think it was a bad transister on the mute circuit if that makes sense.

I get teh sub-woofer pop when changing channels on the Cable box some times.  

What is interesting is the pop in the rears has gone away (for now).  Very odd.