Hi Brent,

Have you won a sale at this stage?

Cheers,

Hugh

bacworth

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2005, 11:26 am »
Hi Hugh

I have had plenty of interest but nothing concrete yet.

cheers,
Brent

keithvv

FS AKSA 100
« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2005, 07:23 pm »
Brent,
If still for sale, contact me privately (keithvv@yahoo.com) for the terms you'd like to receive.
Also, would you send a pic or two directly?
Cheers,
Keithvv

keithvv@yahoo.com

Greg Erskine

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2005, 09:09 am »
Hi Keith,

I just thought I mention that it is not a good idea to include your email address in posts on forums as it will eventually be harvested and you'll get spammed.

Use PM instead as it hides your email address from those nasty spambots or whatever they're called.  :D

bacworth

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2005, 11:37 am »
If it dosn't sell at $850 I think i will use it as a spare, or maybe in the main bedroom....

AKSA

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2005, 09:30 pm »
Hi Brent,

What's your main amp if you choose to use your AKSA as a spare??

This fascinates me........ :?:   There must be some problem, perhaps we can help?

Cheers,

Hugh

bacworth

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2005, 01:16 pm »
Hi Hugh

An Aleph 2 has taken over as the main amp. Thanks for the help on the heat dissapation issue. That being said I could do with an excellent amp in my bedroom and from experience the Aska will slot nicely in.

cheers,
Brent

Sintz

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2006, 08:39 pm »
Quote from: AKSA
Hi Brent,

What's your main amp if you choose to use your AKSA as a spare??
This fascinates me........ :?:   There must be some problem, perhaps we can help?
Cheers,
Hugh

I was thinking the same exact thing.
 :roll:

Happy New Year!

DSK

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2006, 09:46 pm »
Quote from: bacworth
Hi Hugh

An Aleph 2 has taken over as the main amp. Thanks for the help on the heat dissapation issue. That being said I could do with an excellent amp in my bedroom and from experience the Aska will slot nicely in.

cheers,
Brent

Hi Shayne,
Just wondering ..have you heard the AKSA with an N+ kit installed? I haven't heard the Aleph 2 but a while back I heard the Aleph 3 and the AKSA N+ (built by Hugh) is clearly better (as well as being clearly better than the stock AKSA). Perhaps down the track if/when you have a few bucks to spare, you could install the N+ kit and put it up against the Aleph 2.

Meanwhile, you have a rather nice bedroom amp  :wink:

Sintz

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2006, 09:33 pm »
Quote from: DSK
Hi Shayne,
Just wondering ..have you heard the AKSA with an N+ kit installed? I haven't heard the Aleph 2 but a while back I heard the Aleph 3 and the AKSA N+ (built by Hugh) is clearly better (as well as being clearly better than the stock AKSA). Perhaps down the track if/when you have a few bucks to spare, you could install the N+ kit and put it up against the Aleph 2.

Meanwhile, you have a rather nice bedroom amp  :wink:

The N+ mod has been on my list for a couple months. I first have to find a quality DAC with TosLink/AESEBU digital inputs and XLR balanced outputs to tame the output of the Behringer DEQ2496 I just got. After I've addressed that issue, I believe my system will be able to resolve the differences that the N+ upgrade will offer. I'd like to do it all at once, but that kind of kills my ability to determine how each different component changes (improves?) my system.

bluesky

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2006, 11:29 am »
I would be very interested to know of the different sonic "flavours" of the various Aksa amps.  I have been asked to build an Aksa 100 watt Nirvana for a friend and I already have a 55 watt version and I am considering the possibility of converting this to a 25 watt version.

The reason I ask is that I am about to embark on some speaker building, I already have the Aksonics but would like to get the Ellis 1801's, which with their low sensitivity, might be best suited to the 100 watt amp.

At the other end of the scale I acquired a pair of brand new frequency matched Coral Beta 8's (when I had some money for a very brief period of time LOL) and the 25 watt version may best suit these drivers which have a very high sensitivity.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Bluesky

EchiDna

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2006, 12:26 am »
way OT here...  but...  no comment on the ellis 1801's as there is plenty written on these elsewhere - I have heard many different setups of the coral's (open baffle near field was fantastic) I think you will love em' with a lower powered AKSA as long as you aren't after ground shaking bass or great sound in orchestral pieces :) fantastic with vocals and small group material (eg 3 or 4 piece jazz).

and a bit on topic as well...
I've heard many flavours of the Alephs and IMHO the AKSA 100n (or n+) beats the aleph 2 and 3 - maybe it was the component selection of the Alephs or maybe it was the (old audio chestnut alert) lack of system synergy, but the AKSA more than held it's own in this company!

geez if I was closer, I'd happily take a look at buying another AKSA 100 for A$850.... thats only about US$500  :mrgreen:

bacworth

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2006, 10:04 am »
DSK -> Yes it is a rather nice bedroom amp, pitty the speakers arn't up to the challenge.

EchiDna -> That is a shame, it is still for sale and $850 is pretty cheap. I have had a chance to listen to the Aleph for a while now and have concluded for the money and the hassel of dealing with class A, had I had known, i would have stuck with the Aska and done the upgrade.

That being said it is a very different sound. The Aleph is warmer but lacks the clarity I would have expected for a diy amp twice the cost. The Aleph has significantly more power than the Aska though.

Overall, 7/10 Aska, 8.5/10 Aleph, and my reference amp (keeping in mind I never give a 10/10) was the Krell flagship back in 2002 with a 9.5/10.  

cheers,
Brent

bluesky

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2006, 02:42 am »
Hi Echidna

I have come across the following website which uses a novel spiral horn design that the designer states extends the bass to previously unheard of levels:

http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hanbei/eng-intro.html

Hwever, even after reading through the website a couple of times I still can't work out how to calculate the dimensions required for my Beta 8's, but if I can work it out it might result in something very special with an Aksa 25 watt Nirvana Plus coupled to a set of speakers with Coral Beta 8's going down to 25Hz.

Bill Fitzmaurice also has an interesting design which can couple a full range driver to a horn loaded woofer.

Therefore there are some opportunities but working out which design to use and then seeing if they actually have the appropriate dimensions to suit the Coral's.  

Cheers

Bluesky

EchiDna

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2006, 05:50 am »
Bacworth: It's just too far to consider, especially with shipping - but thanks anyway. My thoughts with respect to Class A are similar to yours - a lot of hassle, and a lot of heat... the sound however is not to my taste (yes class A is warmer, but I prefer the AKSA's more 'balanced' sound). but as for the AKSA lacking power.... er... how efficient are your speakers? My ears bleed before my (inefficient 89db) speakers run out of headroom in my large lounge room (8x13 metres) - this suggests something may be amiss with your AKSA to me... where in Oz are you? if it is within coo-ee of Hugh, I'd get over there and get his take on it!

Bluesky: :o now that is an interesting speaker design! not sure I could justify the manhours to make that spiral.... or afford the corals!

AKSA

FS AKSA 100 ($850AUD)
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2006, 06:44 am »
Brent,

Echidna is right, there could be something wrong.  If you buy a sturdy box and send it to me, I will look it over at a nominal fee, say $60.

Cheers,

Hugh

bacworth

Re: FS AKSA 100 ($650AUD)
« Reply #17 on: 13 Aug 2006, 01:20 pm »
I thought I would give this another go, droped the price to $650.

cheers, Brent

adamt

Re: FS AKSA 100 ($650AUD)
« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2006, 02:49 am »
Hi bacworth

Could you post a picture?

Where in Australia are you? I am in Melbourne and would be interested to have a look

regards..Adam t