Squeezebox 2 with RWA audio mods review...

jholtz

Squeezebox 2 with RWA audio mods review...
« on: 24 Sep 2005, 05:19 am »
When I first decided to buy a Squeezebox, I planned on doing my own upgrades. I’d modified several components in the past and had very good success with improving the sound quality. My reference player was a Pioneer Elite 45A that I had modded and really enjoyed the sound with my upgrades.

I checked out all of the mods I could find for the SB2 and soon realized that to upgrade the SB2 the way I wanted to, I’d need help. I looked at the various mods and decided that Vinnie’s mods fit my goals and budget the best. My SB2 was one of the 1st to get the BB1748KE DAC upgrade that Vinnie now includes in his audio mods.

I’ve been burning in the SB2 for about 125 hours now. I’d sat down a few times and listened a bit as it burned in. I was immediately impressed with the detail, clarity and very silent background. It sounded very, very good but lacked the full fleshed out sound that I associate with the best electronics. Vinnie said to be patient and burn it in for about 150 – 200 hours for the best sound quality. He was right….

With 125 hours, it still has the detail, clarity and black background I admired, but it also now has the full rich sound I’d been missing. What a difference a few hours makes on electronics! It sounds fabulous! ;-) It now easily exceeds the sound quality of my reference Elite which I thought it was really good.

I couldn’t be happier with the SB2. It is exactly what Vinnie said it’d be. Trust this man. He speaks the truth and offers exceptional performance at very reasonable prices. I highly recommend Vinnie and his SB2 mods! They are sweet!

Jim Holtz

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Squeezebox 2 with RWA audio mods review...
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2005, 02:35 pm »
Quote from: jholtz
When I first decided to buy a Squeezebox, I planned on doing my own upgrades. I’d modified several components in the past and had very good success with improving the sound quality. My reference player was a Pioneer Elite 45A that I had modded and really enjoyed the sound with my upgrades.

I checked out all of the mods I could find for the SB2 and soon realized that to upgrade the SB2 the way I wanted to, I’d need help. I looked at the various mods and decided that Vinnie’s mods fit my goals and budget t ...

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your posting feedback on your Red Wine Modded SB2.  I'm glad to hear that not only you love it, but it exceeds the sound quality of your reference player.  Combine that with the ability to store and access your CD collection with the click of a mouse... very cool, indeed!  8)

BTW, I edited your post to change the subject from "...with RAW audio mods..." to "...with RWA audio mods..." just to make sure there is no confusion with RAW Acoustics.  :wink:   I swear I didn't edit the text and change all those negative comments!  :lol:  

Thanks again,

jholtz

Re: Squeezebox 2 with RWA audio mods review...
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2005, 02:58 pm »
Vinnie,

(sigh) That'll teach me to post late at night.  :oops:  I have enough typos and misspellings when I'm fully alert. Thank you for correcting my typo.

My mini review was a poor one so I hope others can understand what I'm trying to convey. In a nutshell, the SB2 is suprisingly good stock for such an inexpensive piece of equipment, however, with your mods, it leaps into the very high end catagory. I'm now getting sound quality out of my system that I've only heard from the ultra high end mega buck systems.

The highs are pristine and airy, mids and vocals are stunning and the bass is the best I've heard. Clean and tight without bloat. The sound quality is amazing. I know I'm gushing but damn it sounds good!  :D

Thank you again for the super service and the absolutely fantastic sounding SB2. I love it!

Best regards,

Jim Holtz

Quote from: Vinnie R.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your posting feedback on your Red Wine Modded SB2.  I'm glad to hear that not only you love it, but it exceeds the sound quality of your reference player.  Combine that with the ability to store and access your CD collection with the click of a mouse... very cool, indeed!  8)

BTW, I edited your post to change the subject from "...with RAW audio mods..." to "...with RWA audio mods..." just to make sure there is no confusion with RAW Acoustics.  :wink:   I swear I didn't edit the text and change all those negative comments!  :lol:  

Thanks again,