Integrated Amp Suggestions

LadyDog

« on: 21 Sep 2005, 09:44 pm »
Over the past few years I have moved away from seperates to integrated amps.  While maybe a step back from the "holy grail" I am more than comfortable with getting 90% at 50% of the costs, and with much less hassle.

That said, I am looking for a new integrated amp.  Leaning toward solid state this time.  Would prefer one with a remote, though can live without, as I have been with my Manley Stingray.  Used.  Price range up to $2k, though would like to stay somewhere in the $1200-1700 range.  Without stereotyping, generally prefer the visceral, cleaner, or more precise approach to sound.  Without loosing too much of the "musical" approach that tubes seem to bring to the picture.  

Anyway, there are quite a few contenders:

Ayre AX7
Bel Canto Evo2
Sim I5
Electrocompaniet 3/4
YBA Passion
Redgum
Plinius 8200/9100
Naim 5i
Arcam 32
Audio Aero Prima
Krell 400xi
Audiomat Arpege

Comments about any of these?  Others I should be considering?  

Will be paired with either Devore Gibbon 8's of Chesky C1's.  Though there is an outside chance on Salk's HT3(whenever I get off my a** and choose a finish and Jim does his masterwork).

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

Regards,
Jeff

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2005, 10:43 pm »
Check out the Blue Circle NSCS, that is a damn good little integrated!  Musical but accurate as you describe your wants.

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2005, 10:58 pm »
I own the Nait 5i and I think it is fabulous.  It just gets out of the way of the music and lets it all come through.

Michael

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2005, 11:05 pm »
Of the ones you listed, I would consider the Sim I-5.

I agree w/ Josh- re: the Blue Circle NSCS. For less $'s, the Blue Circle CS if you can live with 50wpc.

However, the AVA Omegastar seperates would run you $1500 plus shipping; plus $139 for phono if you need it; and another $139 for tape buffers if you need that. $299 for remote if you need that. Right in the ballpark of the integrated's you listed. Just a thought FWIW....

(oh yeah, add an interconnect for $75-$150..)  Still reasonable.

Happy hunting.

WEEZ

rosconey

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2005, 11:16 pm »
what abooot a cyclops from odyssey :mrgreen:

Parnelli777

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2005, 11:42 pm »
You may want to take a look at this Unison 80 watt integrated hybrid. They also produce the Unico SE, at 130 watts:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/unisonresearch/unico.html

http://www.unisonresearch.com/unico/unicose.asp

tvad4

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2005, 11:52 pm »
Used DK VS-1 MkII. Around $1400. Maybe less. SS with /6922 tubes.

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2005, 12:03 am »
Quote from: JoshK
Check out the Blue Circle NSCS, that is a damn good little integrated!  Musical but accurate as you describe your wants.

The folks from the North Texas Audio Jam tested out the BC NSCS with the Salk HT1's, so you can ask them what they thought of the match with the Salk "sound"...

Hogg

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2005, 01:52 am »
Of the integrateds you've listed the Naim 5i, Ayre AX7 and Krell 400xi meet your requirements the best for a clean, clear sound.  Obviously the Krell has the most power.  That may or may not be important to you.

Jim

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2005, 02:14 am »
Klaus not only has his Cyclops, but he also has a nice Symphonic Line integrated that would fit nicely between the SS and Tube sound you are looking for.

fabaudio

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2005, 02:22 am »
Naim 5i

dynaudios

Kavent A-210
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2005, 02:02 pm »
The Kavent A-210 outperforms most others with a modest price tag. I got mine from kellsieavdesign.com for less than $700. The build quality is excellent with the best aluminum remote control.

Rickie K

You might to try the Sugden a21a
« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2005, 02:46 pm »
Its a class A 21 watts per channel that has a tube like non- fatiguing sound warm yet clear. Its recommended in the Absolute sound issue 144 from 2003. Its cost was listed then as $ 1495.00.

Carlman

« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2005, 05:39 pm »
I've been very impressed with the detail and articulation from the Tact 2150x I'm demo'ing.  Since the 'x' version allows you to store room correction, it may be an avenue worth investigating.

-C

Tbadder1

« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2005, 06:04 pm »
For crisp clear sound with super fast transients take the Bel Canto--I loved mine, although I had the separates.  On the other hand, I might go with the Ayre.  Most analogue of the bunch that I know on your list, and software upgrades keep it new and interesting.

eril

Cairn 4808A
« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2005, 07:48 pm »
Try the Cairn 4808A - 30 watts, first 10 in class A.
They have just been discontinued and are going very cheap on Audiogon.
I have had mine for 3 years - faultless and easily bests Naim - good PRAT but much more refined and sweet.
It is more than capable of driving the Gibbons.

mcrespo71

« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2005, 01:35 am »
So what did you decide on?

LadyDog

« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2005, 06:45 pm »
Folks, thanks for all the suggestions.  I have not come to a definite conclusion yet but Klaus is making me something special that I believe will suffice.

Regards,
Jeff

michaelv

« Reply #18 on: 8 Dec 2005, 07:17 pm »
Hi,
 Sorry to hijack this post,but i have question related to integrated amp too.

Which one of the following Integrated Amp is best fit to Totem Forrest (speaker)?

Krell KAV 400xi (or 300xi? , older version)
   Plinius 9200 (or 9100?)
   Musical Fidelity A5

Due to limited budget, i can go Integrated Amp route right now even though i would prefer separate Preamp/Amp. Therefore, i would like to get great integrated amp with reasonable cost as i can. I know that MF A5 is around $2,600? what about the others?

thanks very much.

michaelv

« Reply #19 on: 8 Dec 2005, 07:17 pm »
Hi,
 Sorry to hijack this post,but i have question related to integrated amp too.

Which one of the following Integrated Amp is best fit to Totem Forrest (speaker)?

Krell KAV 400xi (or 300xi? , older version)
   Plinius 9200 (or 9100?)
   Musical Fidelity A5

Due to limited budget, i can go Integrated Amp route right now even though i would prefer separate Preamp/Amp. Therefore, i would like to get great integrated amp with reasonable cost as i can. I know that MF A5 is around $2,600? what about the others?

thanks very much.