Cable question for Tripath amps

acresm22

« on: 21 Sep 2005, 07:39 pm »
Is anyone using Goertz speaker cables with their Tripath amp? I am considering using the MI-1 flat OFC cables with my Tripath 2020-based amp, but am a little concerned that the cable's low impedance might create problems for the amp (the kind of things Goertz talks about at their site, like instability and/or oscillation). My speakers are Klipsch LaScalas.

A.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2005, 09:03 pm »
acresm22,

I use the Alpha-Core Goertz MI-2 with the JVC RX-F10...and it's the best pair of cables I've heard to date. It's been a great match running into my very hungry Maggies.  

I bought mine from Alpha-Core recently, and it has some sort of termination network that helps tame possible oscillation problems with some amps.  I lack to technical expertise to explain properly, but the termaination network is explained on their site.

I just received the 30w TEAC unit (I think the 2050 Tripath set?) and will try the Alpha-Core on that, too.  I don't expect any problems tho.

Regards.

-Richard-

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2005, 04:56 am »
Hi ChairGuy,

Please keep us informed about your impressions...
you have quite extensive experience with tri-path digitals...
so it would be of great interest to all of us how the
unmoded Teac fares compared to your previous tri-path amps...

Of course burn-in will take a millenium...

The mysteries of circuitry...

Warm regards -Richard-

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2005, 05:19 am »
Hey Richard,

Always great to hear from ya'!

I have only heard the little Sonic Impact, stock and modded (SLA, new caps, wiring and rca's).  I never had high efficiency speakers to do it justice...it's sitting by waiting for the day.

As you (and most of the rest of the audio universe by now  :lol: ) know, I've had the JVC ES1sl and RX-F10 extensively.  Tho surely not duplicates of one another, they bear resemblance to the Tripath stuff.

Just got the TEAC today...and hooked it up late.  Too late to play at normal criteria levels.  There is PLENTY of juice to power the MMG Maggies with an active gain stage in front of it (Dynaco PAS-4 tube preamp).

My fave cables are out getting cryo'ed at www.cryo-parts.com now, so I'm using Radio Shack Gold's and garbage/throwaway IC's from pre to amp...but there is plenty of juice.  And, the sound right out of the box ain't shabby at all!  Use of the BPT is probably helping the scrawny, god-awful switching power supply in a major way.

I took the center channel out before first use...don't know how much that may have helped.

Let's see tomorrow- I like what I hear right now.  Them's 30 watts is very BIG   :)

beatdownvictim

• http://DOULIK.COM
« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2005, 07:27 am »
I told ya john.  I just bought a modded PS unit from Guy Landau (sorry i took so bloody late to pay you guy!).  But i haven't hooked it up yet.  I got rid of the MMG's and i've got MG12's now, so........ it's going to be interesting to see how the teac reacts to the MG12's.

Hm......... I'm also pondering whether to get a panasonic sa-xr15 for $160.  is it worth it yes or no, (sorry for the threadjack)

I use to laugh at teac, especially when my dad bought a shitty cassette deck from them! grrrrrrr.  But the AL700p's not so funny.

30 watts my ass, it's underrated like the LS1's in chevy's.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2005, 03:57 pm »
Quote from: beatdownvictim
I told ya john.  I just bought a modded PS unit from Guy Landau (sorry i took so bloody late to pay you guy!).  But i haven't hooked it up yet.  I got rid of the MMG's and i've got MG12's now, so........ it's going to be interesting to see how the teac reacts to the MG12's.

Hm......... I'm also pondering whether to get a panasonic sa-xr15 for $160.  is it worth it yes or no, (sorry for the threadjack)

I use to laugh at teac, especially when my dad bought a shitty cassette deck from them! grrrrrrr.  Bu ...

Man, BDVCarson!

You weren't kidding...neither was WolfyChris and others on this thing.

I can't believe it drives the Maggies....about 1/3 on the (active tube) pre is all you need for more-than-adequate volumes in my 12 x 15 x 8-12' room. No sweat drving the MG12's I think.

I know it's going to take iserably long to break it in - but outta' the box it's damn decent. First time I got a tube pre to add, rather than detract overall, from listeing enjoyment.  Tubes and Tripath work - my audio world just went crock-assed  :)

I have no idea about the Pannies of any sort...but this TEAC (admittedly, more costly as you need a some kinda' preamp and extra IC with it) sounds better than the JVC F10.  Not better than the JVC ES1sl yet, tho....but that one couldn't drive Maggies.

Looking forward to next 198 hours...

beatdownvictim

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2005, 06:27 pm »
Mang, i feel like such a jerkoff, right when there was all those threads about the teac/tube praise going on, I go out and sell my tubed preamp.  mang.......... I was planning just to use the teac with the squeezebox, but now with vinnie's genius, i'm gonna get an ipod/imod.  Thanks to vinnie's unrelenting penchant for modding things, i really don't think i'm ever going to find an end to my meddling with audio gear.  damn you vinnie :( hahahah

Gonna pick up the modded power supply one of these days and i'm gonna see how it sounds.  After i'm done with the PS, i'm probably gonna get it off the power grid.

As per the original question.  I'm running HD-14 extention cord as speaker cable.  Wrapped up in yellow electrical tape, man, now that's PIMP.  I've also got a set of magnet cables (2-30 gauge, 1-26 gauge, 1-20 gauge, and 1-16 gauge) all twisted together, it actually sounds good.  And i've got some "real" anticables coming too.  Let ya all know how it sounds .  Thanks all

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2005, 03:09 am »
That Teac is one mean beast, I sold a great amp after hearing them at my place.

Great to see some other folks having some fun with that little gem!

beatdownvictim

« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2005, 04:07 am »
Mark, it was because of your raving about the teac that i went out and sold my NAD so i could buy the teac.  Best move EVAR.

Regards,

A Canadian at the other end of the country