These big line arrays sure look interestng....

Florian

« on: 20 Sep 2005, 09:23 pm »
Hi Guys!

This new speaker cought my attention. I am a fan of line arrays (pure ribbon mostly) and this new design looks very interesting. Any info on the pricing?
User comments on other models, maybe compared to VMPS, Sheela etc?

Any "HONEST" info welcome. :-)  If you think one of the above brands is pure garbage, please dont hesitate to tell me. I am looking for really honest opinons here.

Also what drive electronics have you used, room size and whats the real bass extension?

Thanks guys

-Flo

ctviggen

« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2005, 09:35 pm »
Man, are you opening a can of worms!

Florian

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2005, 09:37 pm »
What do you mean by that?

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2005, 09:43 pm »
Check the archives for the GR v. VMPS debates.   These are two totally different speakers made by totally different designers with totally different philosophies.   And they're different enough that if you like one, you might not like the other.

Florian

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2005, 09:46 pm »
Oh, well i dont want to start a flame war. This is not my intent at all!

Thanks

-Flo

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2005, 01:11 pm »
Just scratch off the VMPS  :wink:

These are brand new.  I doubt anyone has listened to them except the designers.  I think Danny will have a pair at RMAF in 2 weeks.

ekovalsky

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2005, 02:57 pm »
Hey Flo,

First piece of advice, keep your Divas !   Trust me on that !!  BC me years ago that his lattest ribbon monitors would easily outperform the big Apogees.  Well he closed the sale, but let's just say I missed the Apogees dearly for two years and was not able to approach the quality of my former Apogee / Muse combo until I splurged for Alon's flagship system.  

Second, you already know the answer to your "HONEST" inquiry  :wink:

Third, Danny's designs are properly modeled and well engineered, yet very reasonably priced.  For the money you will not likely find anything better.  I'm definitely keeping an eye on his array systems and look forward to hearing them.  If you are looking to pick up a high quality speaker line in Europe, definitely consider GR and also RAW Acoustics and Salk.

PS -- true ribbons are great, particularly as tweeters.  but don't underestimate the potential of high quality cones (particularly if they are dipoles).  more than likely several open back models, including the as yet unnamed GR speaker, will be coming in the future.