KIT2641's in progress...

Brian Bunge

KIT2641's in progress...
« on: 20 Sep 2005, 05:52 pm »
I'm currently building 2 pairs of KIT2641 cabinets.  The raw cabinets are assembled, save the baffles since I haven't cut driver holes yet.  I'm waiting on drivers from Kevin to test fit before cutting the holes and gluing the baffles in place.  One pair will be finished in figured cherry with 2 sets of binding posts, the other pair in regular A grade cherry with a single set of binding posts.

In the meantime, I thought I'd post pictures of the progress.  I was originally cussing Kevin for all the 1.5" holes in the braces, but a spade bit (or butterfly bit as some people call them) in the drill press made quick work of them.  I think I cut all the holes in all the braces for both pairs of cabinets in under an hour.

Anyway, here they are in raw MDF for your viewing...er..um..pleasure? :)

Al Garay

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2005, 07:50 pm »
Is it my imagination or the 2641 cabinets look easier than the LCR cabs. No angled braces, lots of room, straight cuts. Are you glueing and using brads to attach the corners?

Brian Bunge

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2005, 08:20 pm »
Angled braces?  I didn't see any angled braces in the LCR's.  There were multiple braces in the LCR's that made them a bit more of a PITA to assemble though.

As far as assembly, I use wood glue and brad nails for everything.  Not sure what you mean by "corners".  I didn't use any of the little triangular pieces to set the braces in place.  I simply drew reference lines inside and outside of the enclosures, put glue on the braces, slid them in place, used a small speed square to square them up, used a quick grip clamp to hold it steady, and used the nail gun.  I'll probably use dadoes with glue and brad nails in the future if I start building a lot of these.  It definitely makes assembly faster.

P.S.  What the hell is wrong with AudioCircle today?  I can't seem to post or send PM's without a ton of trouble.  :evil:

Kyle R.

• http://www.acoustic-visions.com
KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2005, 08:51 pm »
I actually like building towers a bit better because they usually just use standard shelf braces and there is lots of room to place crossovers and such.

Kevin Haskins

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2005, 12:03 am »
Brian,

Hey... those look great!   The main reason we went to the small holes was because I was too lazy to use the router.  :-)   By the time you set the circle size, drill a pilot hole your done using the paddle bits.

I'd say the smaller the speaker the easier it is to build but the 2641s are pretty simple.

Brian Bunge

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2005, 12:32 am »
Kevin,

You ain't seen nothin' yet!  The figured cherry veneer I've got for the first pair is just gorgeous! ;)

Michael Mitten

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2005, 10:25 pm »
Brian, I can't wait to see them finished. I may have to venture down your way and hear them....just to torture myself.

Brian Bunge

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2005, 12:06 am »
Michael,

Unfortunately you won't be able to hear them (nor will I), as I'm only building the cabinets.  Kevin is just sending me drivers for test fitting.  Both customers chose to do the final assembly themselves.

I will have some new 3-way towers of my own assembled in a few weeks.  They too, are veneered in figured cherry, but have 4 coats of boiled linseed oil as well as, currently, 4 coats of gloss polyurethane.  The finish is just awesome!  I'm assembling crossovers now and will be having the baffles and backs painted gloss black.  Oh and they'll be a smidge larger than the 2641's, as I estimate final weight to be 200+ lbs, EACH!!!

Michael Mitten

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2005, 02:09 am »
Brian,
Bummer about not being able to hear them. How tall are those 2641s? They sure look big.

I'll keep an eye out for those other tanks you are building. Hopefully I can hear those. Don't hurt yourself moving them around!

Brian Bunge

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2005, 02:14 am »
Michael,

I think they're smaller than your 281's.  They are 41"H x 9"W x 13.25"D.

My towers are 51"H x 14"W x 23"D!!!:)

Michael Mitten

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2005, 03:58 pm »
Quote from: Brian Bunge

My towers are 51"H x 14"W x 23"D!!!:)
Are you putting wheels on them, or building them in place?  :lol:

Brian Bunge

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2005, 04:06 pm »
That's what hand trucks are for!  I'll use the handtruck to get them in the house, then a furniture dolly to get them in the right room.  I'm seriously thinking about doing final assembly in room.  Once I put the spikes on them I don't think they'll be going anywhere! :)

I'll send you some pics soon.

guest1632

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2005, 03:06 am »
That's what hand trucks are for!  I'll use the handtruck to get them in the house, then a furniture dolly to get them in the right room.  I'm seriously thinking about doing final assembly in room.  Once I put the spikes on them I don't think they'll be going anywhere! :)

I'll send you some pics soon.

Hi Brian,

Why did you make your towers bigger? Just curious.

Ray

Brian Bunge

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2005, 03:25 am »
Ray,

My towers are something that's been in the works for months now.  Completely different design, completely different drivers.  It's a big 3-way, MTMWW.

guest1632

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2005, 03:59 am »
Ray,

My towers are something that's been in the works for months now.  Completely different design, completely different drivers.  It's a big 3-way, MTMWW.

Hi Brian,

Will be interested to find out the differences between what you are building bersus the 2641. Sounds maybe like yours might go deeper?

Ray

Brian Bunge

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2005, 04:17 am »
Ray,

Well, it uses a 1" tweeter, dual 7's for mids, and dual 10's for woofers.  All aluminum cone drivers.  I'm building these sealed so in room F3's will probably be in the 40Hz area with extension down into the 30's.  I could have gone ported, but that would require approx. 80% more internal volume for the 10's.  A 200L enclosure was just too big even for me.  At least right now.  But ported would have given me an F3 around 28Hz and good output down into the lower 20's.  I could have gone with dual 8's ported in the same size enclosure.  I know I'll always use a sub, not matter what, so I opted for dynamics over extension.

If you want to talk about them any more I'd prefer to take this offline since this is Kevin's forum.

guest1632

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2005, 05:21 am »
Ray,

Well, it uses a 1" tweeter, dual 7's for mids, and dual 10's for woofers.  All aluminum cone drivers.  I'm building these sealed so in room F3's will probably be in the 40Hz area with extension down into the 30's.  I could have gone ported, but that would require approx. 80% more internal volume for the 10's.  A 200L enclosure was just too big even for me.  At least right now.  But ported would have given me an F3 around 28Hz and good output down into the lower 20's.  I could have gone with dual 8's ...

Hi Brian, Yep, sounds interesting. Will be interested when you get your own version of Kevin's speeks built. PM me when you have them and yours built. would like to know the sound differences. Thanks.

Ray

kingjamez

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2005, 04:31 am »
I've got some 2641's in progress as well. One box is done save for the Teak Oil application, and of course those wonderful drivers.

The box is basically built to plan. It was widened to 8.5'' just becuase I liked that look better. I maintained the original internal volume by reducing the depth of the cab accordingly. It's still 41'' tall. The wood is 3/4'' Baltic Birch Ply on the front/back/top/bottom. The sides are 3/4'' MDF, and the bracing is 1/2'' BB with 2.125'' holes. The interior has open cell green foam and R13 OC insulation held in with cheesecloth to mitigate suckout through the port.

This is my first Veneer job ever. It's raw Santos Rosewood veneer. I used the yellow glue/iron method. Seems to have worked pretty well so far.

Let's see some more pics of others 2641's in progress!

Kyle R.

• http://www.acoustic-visions.com
KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #18 on: 7 Oct 2005, 01:36 pm »
Very nice!

Brian Bunge

KIT2641's in progress...
« Reply #19 on: 7 Oct 2005, 01:39 pm »
Those are looking great!  That rosewood looks very nice!

I'll post some more pics of the cabinets I'm working on possibly later today.  I've got one pair ready to veneer and that'll be taking place tomorrow.