New Pre-amp Info - Finally..........

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« on: 19 Sep 2005, 11:24 pm »
Hello!

Finally I am far enough along to post details of the new pre-amp I have been working on.  Before I do I'd like to say sorry to all those folks hanging on waiting for the new pre-amp for the endless delays. This has taken much longer than I'd hoped.......You'll see from the description below and from the details in the 'Bent Modules' post that it has been much more than just a re-work of the original NOH pre-amp. I tried to take all the features of both the TAP and the NOH pre-amp, along with all the features I had requests for into account and come up with an entirely new design.

Even though the basic design has been nailed down for a time I've been putting off posting about it - it's been quiet here lately and I've been getting a ton of stuff done! Please don't e-mail for more info right now - just post questions here. That will save a lot time answering the same questions via e-mail and allow everyone to benefit from the answers.

No pricing is posted yet. I'll be working that out over the next few weeks and will post that as soon as I can. My aim is to deliver the first systems this NOV.  If there are any features that I have left out please post about them and I will try and incorporate them before I button everything up!

This new Pre-amp will replace both the TAP Classic and NOH pre-amps and will be sold as the TAP pre-amp. Like the NOH and TAP Classic it is designed every step of the way with the finest parts for the best sonic performance. It is a 2 box design using a 'Base Unit' and a 'Bent Unit':

1- The Base Unit

The Base Unit contains the system control circuits including the following:

- Level Control knob and Level Display.
  - Mute Button.
  - Input Select Buttons and Input select Display.
  - Input Phase button.
  - Tape Output Button and LED display.
  - Remote Control Reciever for full remote control of the above functions.

There are 2 Base Unit Options -

TRIK Unit - Designer package along the lines of the original TAP control unit. New design but still very 'What the heck is that?' in the way it looks.....I won't even attempt to describe it here. Pics when the prototype is complete.

BASIC Unit - a lower cost but still full function option in a small clean package.

Both Base units have all the features above and they have outputs to connect to a single Bent Unit for a stereo pre-amp or to multiple Bent Units for a multichannel system.

2- The Bent Unit

The Bent Unit contains the audio signal path circuits. This includes:

- Input Connectors and switching
  - Output Connectors
  - TX102 Transformers and switching

There are 3 Bent Unit Options:

- 'ONE' - One RCA Input / Dual RCA Outputs
  - 'FOUR' -  4 RCA Inputs and Dual RCA Outputs + Tape Output
  - ' SIX'  - 4 RCA Inputs + 2 XLR Inputs / Dual RCA + Dual XLR Outputs / Tape Output.

If it sounds complex it is only because I am making it sound that way - it is not! As in the previous TAP system the Base Unit connects to the Bent Unit via a simple fibre optic cable. This completely isolates the Base Unit from the Bent Unit allowing the Bent Unit to be placed anywhere in your audio rack so you can keep the interconect cables as clean and short as you possible. This frees up the Base Unit so it may be located in an easy to view and reach location  in your rack or anywhere you'd like in your listenning room.

Other New Features are:

- The 'FOUR'  and 'SIX'  Bent Unit systems enable Phase Switching via front panel push button and also via remote control.
- Phase switching uses miltiple switch contacts so no additional junk is introduced to the signal path.
- There are now 34 Level Steps from mute to +6.  
- Gain mode (+6db gain) is automatically engaged - once you pass unity gain the pre-amp then switches to +2, +4 then +6db.
- Channel Ballance control via remote control.
- Trim Controls for each channel at the base unit allow perminent channel to channel level adjustments that are saved in memory. This is used for level adjustment  between channels for room imballance or in multichannel systems.
- Very short and clean signal path.
- Any input(s) can be easily programmed as an HT bypass input.

More details about the individual circuit boards are in the follow up post to this one called 'Bent Modules'.

The new pre-amp has been deisgned to be very 'buildable' and so a kit offering does not make sense. The kit cost would be very close to the cost of the finished units. What will be offered is all  of the internal modules that make up the TAP pre-amp system - and some more modules as well.

One easy and fun DIY project would be to start with a finished Bent Unit (all the audio path wiring) and built a nice housing for the Control unit circuit board. That way the enclosure the user sees can look anyway you'd want and it makes for a fun creative project without the hassle of  point to point wiring (like the traditional TVC required).  That setup can actually be built with no soldering at all! We'll continue to stock and offer the full line of standard parts such as transformers, switches, connectors, etc. for more traditional projects.

Many Thanks!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2005, 02:31 am »
John,

Will any of your products be available at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest for audition?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2005, 11:44 am »
Hello!

It was my hope to have this done for that show and get down there myself. I am afraid I just could not complete it all in time.... Kevin and I have talked about having all this stuff down at CES and I'll post more as that firms up.

Thanks!

John

clear_as_a_bell

TAP PRE-AMP
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2005, 08:42 pm »
Hello - Will there be a way to switch from stereo to mono?  Thanks

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2005, 11:11 pm »
Hello!

The mono option is a tough one..... Being a passive design (without any active buffer stages) there is not a way to combine the right and left signals into one mono signal and then feed that to both output channels without degrading sonics.

It can be done passively (with just a resistive summing circuit) but since it would introduce several resistors  to the signal path (altering the impedance situation) and due to the circuit it would be harder to drive for the source and not drive the tx102 well it is far from optimal sonically.

I think there may also be a way to do it for ballanced inputs only by routing pin2/pin3 from channel to channel and using the tx102 to sum - kinda cool but it would function for the ballanced input only and therefore that restricts it's use and makes it kinda quirky to say the least.  It would introduce extra contacts to that bal input all the time as well - something I'd rather avoid.

Bottom line is it is not ideal to do it sonically so I'd rather not. I try and only put in a feature if it can be done without a sonic penalty.  If something comes up that allows it to be added without any penalty then I'll do my best to put it in.

Geeze first 2 posts on the new pre-amp and I struck out on both......

Thansk!

John

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2005, 11:15 pm »
Don't dispair John.   I think you have more functionality than any passive preamp on the market!  :-)    Your never going to cover all the bases.