using amps and car audio with 18Ah sla battery

gilbodavid

« on: 18 Sep 2005, 06:55 pm »
Wanting to run t-amp and Alpine 7618 head unit, 5959 cd changer, 3900 dac, and amp off a 18Ah sla battery I've bought. Is it safe to do so, or do i need a battery with less Ah, and are there any precautions. i want to see what these units sound like in my hi fi system, as the battery power thing makes total sense to me. Sorry if this is off topic. I'm not a buyer yet, but have been for months psyching myself up and reading about clari-t and sqeezebox and battery power and am seriously wanting to hear these things. Thanks

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: using amps and car audio with 18Ah sla battery
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2005, 01:15 am »
Quote from: gilbodavid
Wanting to run t-amp and Alpine 7618 head unit, 5959 cd changer, 3900 dac, and amp off a 18Ah sla battery I've bought. Is it safe to do so, or do i need a battery with less Ah, and are there any precautions. i want to see what these units sound like in my hi fi system, as the battery power thing makes total sense to me. Sorry if this is off topic. I'm not a buyer yet, but have been for months psyching myself up and reading about clari-t and sqeezebox and battery power and am seriously wanting to hear these things. Thanks

Hi gilbodavid,

The Ah rating has nothing to do with being safe or not for your equipment.... it is a rating of the amount of amperage that is available when discharged evenly over a period of time (usually a 20-hour period).

Regarding being safe to wire your battery to your car audio equipment...yes, it should be fine.  Be careful to make sure you wire everything correctly, and you should have an accurate voltmeter to measure the battery voltage.  I recommend you charge it when the voltage reaches 12V.

Regards,

gilbodavid

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2005, 09:27 pm »
thanks vinnie, and sorry for being so ignorant on these very basic matters.

EDS_

Re: using amps and car audio with 18Ah sla battery
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2005, 10:10 pm »
Quote from: gilbodavid

As Vinnie said you could very safely power your 12VDC equipment with a 1,200+ amp hour 12VDC fork lift battery.

If the battery is new carefully charge it once. If the battery has not undergone its forming charge is it critical that the battery be charged fully and allowed to fully cool before any use.

If new or not after a good charge.......
Measure the battery under load...connect your Alpine, spin a disk then read the voltage. LA batteries-esp. SLA batteries are notorious for showing fine open circuit voltages and seconds later measuing like crap under tiny loads. If the loaded voltage is much below 12v-recharge the battery-let it cool and try again. If the loaded voltage is still low scrap the battery.

Low voltage kills everything especailly DC motors.

After deciding that the battery is OK. Run under load tests at 1, 2, 3 etc. hours. Quit and recharge when the voltage drops much below 12v.

You'll then know roughly how long you can run at resonable voltages. I'm guessing 3-4 hours if the battery is sound and newish.

BTW-your Alpine may have a low voltage shut down circuit.

Forgive all the typos I forgot my glasses today.....