Capacitor polarity question

analog97

« on: 17 Sep 2005, 11:45 pm »
Hi.  I'm a cautious amateur assembling a Cornet2 phono.  I now ready for the capacitors and noticed the Auricaps have a red and black lead and the othe caps have leads of two lengths.  Can comeone tell me how to orient these in the circuit board?  Thanks in advance. :D

beto1

« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2005, 01:57 am »

analog97

Capacitor polarity in Cornet2
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2005, 03:27 pm »
Hi again.   I still have some remaining questions about capacitor polarity in the assembly of the Cornet2.

1.  Putting in the Nichicon caps was clear.  The longer of the 2 leads is the + and the + is clearly marked on the circuit board.  However, other caps do not have a + designation on the circuit board, nor do they have a longer lead.  Does this mean that these caps can be installed either way?

2. Most important, the Auricaps suggested in the manual have a black and red lead.  I was told here that  for signal path circuits, the black lead is "in", i.e. positive.  However, their spaces on the circuit board do not have a +.   It seems correct that when I trace the copper path in the circuit board, that the + or positive would be considered as the point where you can see the little copper lead connecting in the circuit board.  Is this correct?

3.  Last, on some of the capacitor locations on the circuit board, I can see 2 copper leads making contact.  This really confuses me.  What do I do here?    Thanks again for any advice.  I really do NOT want to screw up because so far the assembly has been very clear and the build quality of this device appears to be very high!!

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2005, 08:12 pm »
Analog97,

Only the electrolytic capacitors are polarized.  All of the others can be inserted either way.

Except for the auricaps, whose recommendation baffles me.  I've always installed them backwards, with the red lead on the more positive voltage (input).  As a polypropylene dielectric, they should be installable either way.  You can experiment here.  

I am confused at item #3.  Not sure what you mean.

jh :|

analog97

Capacitor polarity
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2005, 08:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  Re # 3, what I was trying to get at is that there appear to be 2 copper paths inside the circuit board (2 thin copper lines, if you will) is some capaitor locations, but the majority appear to have 1  copper thin lead to the + side and the other goes to ground.  Compare, e.g. C203 and C208 and you will see what I mean.    Thanks again for the reply.  I am making excellent progress and, as you said, everything is fitting together exceptionally well.  You are a gent.   Larry