Grammy winnner 2005 for best alternative music album

ctviggen

Ok, I have to say the Grammy committee got it wrong.  Wilco's A Ghost is Born won.  I've been comparing AGIB (A Ghost is Born) to Green Day's "american idiot" and I have to that american idiot is not even in the same league as AGIB.  For instance, I tried to listen to AGIB today, and I flew to the remote to fast forward through one song. There is basically one song that I almost get through before flying to the remote to fast forward, and another I honestly have never made it through completely.  

On the other hand, american idiot has it all -- pertinent lyrics (whether you like them or not), kick butt bass, just all around relevant music.  Why the heck did the Grammy committee choose AGIB?  Because they shafted Wilco previously (I like Wilco -- I just don't think they're the best this year)?  

What say ye?

PeteG

« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2005, 10:21 pm »
I'll pick up "American Idiot" this weekend, but I think Wilco's AGIB is
very good and a nice change of pace from everybody else.

SWG255

Another vote for AGIB
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2005, 07:11 pm »
I agree this Wilco album isn't that "accessible", but "American Idiot" just doesn't seem to find it's way back into my player as often as the Wilco disc.

I guess that's why they make different albums, different strokes for different folks always applies.

Enjoy.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2005, 07:28 pm »
I love Wilco and don't really care for Green Day so I am fine with the choice.

Although I don't usually listen to Green Day, I must admit they were entertaining when I saw them at Woodstock years ago...

George

zybar

• Volunteer
Re: Grammy winnner 2005 for best alternative music album
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2005, 07:40 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Ok, I have to say the Grammy committee got it wrong.  Wilco's A Ghost is Born won.  I've been comparing AGIB (A Ghost is Born) to Green Day's "american idiot" and I have to that american idiot is not even in the same league as AGIB.  For instance, I tried to listen to AGIB today, and I flew to the remote to fast forward through one song. There is basically one song that I almost get through before flying to the remote to fast forward, and another I honestly have never made it through completely.  

On the ...

BTW, wasn't this for 2004 and the event actually took place in Feb. 2005?

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2005, 09:09 pm »
Quote from: tvad4
George, I didn't have more than a passing radio interest in Green Day either until a friend kept insisting that I had to hear "American Idiot".

I eventually did, and I discovered an outstanding piece of work. I still don't own any other Green Day albums.

Have you heard "American Idiot"?

I haven't heard it.

Maybe I will take a chance and try it.  Allmusic.com gave it a very high rating as well:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:ogjveae74x07~T1

George

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2005, 12:01 am »
I think American Idiot is terrible, no offense.  But then I liked some of Green Day's older stuff.  Yes, I have unfortunately endured it from beginning to end several times, and it hasn't grown on me in the slightest.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2005, 12:18 am »
Quote from: tvad4
Rob, you're in the minority here, but that's not to diminish your opinion. I frankly can't get through the Wilco CD because of the track about half way through that's like a buzzsaw in my living room for more than eleven minutes.

It is actually track 11 (out of 12 tracks).   :lol:  :lol:

And even though I am a HUGE Wlco/Uncle Tupelo fan, I skip that electronic noise as well.   :roll:

I listened to a few of the tracks on American Idiot on allmusic.com and I don't think it is going to be my cup of tea...

George

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2005, 12:28 am »
I haven't really heard Wilco much.  But it's on my "to do" list. :lol: