SW-12A and PR-12A have arrived

chip

« on: 17 Sep 2005, 02:35 am »
Well after talking with Danny thru many emails I have bitten the bullet and well I now have in my possesion the sub/pr.
I hope to post pics of my DIY sub when I have time.
I may end up doing 2 subs .....

Thanks again for all the help Danny.

Chad[/img]

Geoff ¥

« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2005, 09:47 am »
Hi Chad

Glad to see you got your GR-Sub/Pr goodies. Hopefully your other sub components will be arriving shortly so you can get into full gear on building it, maybe even a pair as you mentioned..

Look forward to how things turn out, I'm sure the sub will look very nice from your other DIY finished project pic's I've seen.!

Sent you an email much much earlier tonight (Monday) with some pic's & another different type binding post link.

Regards
Geoff ¥

chip

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2005, 03:32 pm »
Alright I have received my amp now as well and today I ordered the 2nd sub/pr.

Sent cutouts to my friend as I don't have the tools to do the cuts but will do everything else.

Thanks to Geoff for all his time he has spent answering my questions as I want this done right the first time.

Still need to buy many of the parts needed to do this but it should be fun as this is my first DIY sub.

chip

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2005, 03:23 pm »
Well I have almost all the parts just waiting for the cuts on the MDF - If not done by Oct 2nd I am looking elsewhere to have the cuts done as I am ready to build these babies!

Chad

chip

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2005, 02:53 pm »
Well all the cuts are done and the MDF was dropped off at my house yesterday. I will try and post pics or links this week when I get a chance of my progress .

chip

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2005, 02:59 pm »
Update:
I have pics but haven't had time to post at home.

Sub box one is almost ready to test. Have to finish putting in a couple pieces of No Rez and then mount the sub/pr and for now I am going to make a box for the amp.

Then all I have to do is sand it down and either paint it or veneer it.

Then I can begin box 2.....

Chad

rbrb

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2005, 04:35 pm »
Quote from: chip
Update:

and for now I am going to make a box for the amp.

Chad

Are you making an external box for the amp so that it's not inside the sub enclosure??

chip

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2005, 05:13 pm »
For now yes....though it may go into sub/pr box #2.....

rbrb

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2005, 06:26 pm »
That is the way I am building my subs also.  I want to keep the ICE amps out of the box away from all of the vibration.  I plan on using the 20 Series cases from....
http://www.par-metal.com/

chip

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2005, 06:45 pm »
What are you putting in those cases?

I am running a rythmik amp for now so I will just use some MDF and make one and then decide if I want to put it in the second box.

CAD

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2005, 06:51 pm »
Are there any structural issues caused by cutting the hole in the side of the box and mounting the amp?  Should I double that MDF?

rbrb

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2005, 07:02 pm »
Quote from: chip
What are you putting in those cases?

I am running a rythmik amp for now so I will just use some MDF and make one and then decide if I want to put it in the second box.

For the 4 subs that are being used for the left/right front/rear channels I'm using the.. http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/sw2037.asp

For the LFE channel sub I'm using the.. http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/sw2049.asp

chip

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2005, 07:47 pm »
Quote from: CAD
Are there any structural issues caused by cutting the hole in the side of the box and mounting the amp?  Should I double that MDF?

Not that I am aware of> I used the diagram from the gr site but built my box 18" cubed as I didn't like the rectangular look of it.

chip

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2005, 02:35 am »

MikeSRC

• http://www.surfremotecontrol.com
« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2005, 03:59 pm »
I did an 18" cube as well.  The only difference is I used 3 braces with one of them notched out for the Rythmik amp.  Sub is next to an A/V-3 in the picture.

This sub kicks butt.  I don't know how you could do better for the price.

chip

« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2005, 01:50 am »
Mike
What are your settings on the rythmik amp?

Chad

MikeSRC

• http://www.surfremotecontrol.com
« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2005, 08:04 pm »
If you mean the toggle switches for bass extension, it's very "room dependent", so my settings may not work for you.  I have frequency at 14 Hz and damping at Mid.  This provide for a smoother low end in my room.  Take a look at the response graphs in the manual.

chip

« Reply #17 on: 27 Oct 2005, 01:05 am »
Well I still have not decided what to finish the subs with - thoughts still veneer or black paint.
I am building #2 and then once that is done I am going to test running the two subs and then start finishing one so I still have one in use and then swap them out when I am finished with one.....