Chime DAC audition?

GBB

Chime DAC audition?
« on: 9 Sep 2005, 09:53 pm »
Jim,
Have you ever considered having an audition DAC that is available for interested buyers?  I'm intrigued by what you've written about the Chime but I'm also reluctant to shell out the money for another DAC since I already have more than I really need.  
Getting the Chime out to a few interested people would give you the chance to have more "references" as you try to market the DAC.  Just a thought.
Thanks,
---Gary

hagtech

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2005, 02:01 am »
Do other companies do this?  That is, send a unit out across the country to people for free?  How could there be any guarantee that it wouldn't disappear in transit  :wink: and never be seen again?  

That's why I offer the 30-day test.  Return it and you get your money back.  Test it at home in your system.  Spend a week with it.  This is shared risk, if you send it back, you're only out the shipping cost.  Me too.  

What would be nice is if I were on the mainland where I could spend a few weeks driving from one place to another...

jh :?:

BradJudy

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2005, 02:26 am »
Other companies do this.  They get the credit card info of each person in the line and charge them the cost if they don't send it on or they break it.  I have seen it done with both speakers and electronics.  It requires good reusable packaging (like a case instead of a cardboard box) and has some risk of people breaking it, but it gets it around and you only have to pay for shipping once (and each person pays to ship it to the next person).  

It's something to consider.

Yoda

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2005, 04:02 am »
Decware sent out a new amp design on tour to several trusted folk on their forum to get realtime user impressions and drum up interest.  It looked like it went to folks in different parts of the country, and who had good setups to do comparisons.  It seemed to get folks really excited...

Al Garay

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2005, 05:26 am »
This has been done by Hugh Dean, AKSA from Australia; Wayne from Bolder Cables; John Chapman for BentAudio to name a few. There is trust. You do need to use double box and use folks who are regulars in the forum (can trust). Set some policies (have x number of days and have to submit a review and send tracking information to next person as well as cc you)... It can be done if you want to generate feedback.

Perhaps, it's more meaningful to do one for your line stage preamp.
I'm curious how your pre and amps compare to Bruce's Trascendent Sound Grounded Grid and OTL/SET amps.

Al

hagtech

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2005, 08:41 am »
Wow, am I out of it.  Didn't know this was a regular thing.  Ok, I'm in.  I'll make both a CHIME and CLARINET available.  They are not too heavy and ship well.

Let's start a list here of who wants to try what and for how long.  I don't think they need to travel together.  In a week or two I will then contact each of you personally to arrange the chain.  When I get the units back, they'll be auctioned off on Audiogon starting at some very low number.

jh :)

DeadFish

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2005, 02:16 pm »
Darn sporting of you Jim!
I for one would like to sign on for checking out the Chime-DAC.
Already owning the Clarinet (and being quite pleased), I'd be glad to hear what your DAC design 'brings to the party.'
I've been using my old Theta for years and years just because I haven't had a reason to change.
Give me one!  :wink:
Thanks!
Regards,
DeadFish

Yoda

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2005, 05:29 pm »
Consider me for the list.  I'd love to try some of your other gear, and would be happy to host curious folks for an evening in Philadelphia.

LFE

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2005, 05:33 pm »
I would also like to audition the Hag DAC! Add me to the list!

GBB

me too
« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2005, 06:55 pm »
Not sure if I even need to do this since I was the one who first asked the question, but I'm interested in auditioning the chime dac.

I will pass on the preamp.
Thanks,
---Gary

pkonin

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2005, 05:49 pm »
Yoda,

I'm also in Philly, and would love to audition some of Jim's stuff.  So far, I have a bugle and it's really transformed my system for the better.  I'd love to check out what else is available...

-PK

Yoda

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2005, 03:53 pm »
pkonin,

I would love to have a listening session with you sometime in the near future, whether or not there is other gear available.

I built a cornet2 and the UFO for my modified Thorens, and I run it through a Decware SE84CS and fostex 206e based TL speakers.  This is a very few parts count single ended tube setup that is fast and very revealing.

So bring your bugle, and some records for starters.  

Anyone else want to Chime in? (couldn't resist...)

pkonin

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2005, 07:54 pm »
That sounds great to me.  I've wanted to hear the fostex drivers for a while.  Actually, I've wanted to hear an SET setup as well.  Let me know if you find any other participants...

-PK

Jon L

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2005, 08:01 pm »
Quote from: hagtech
Wow, am I out of it.  Didn't know this was a regular thing.  Ok, I'm in.  I'll make both a CHIME and CLARINET available.  They are not too heavy and ship well.

Let's start a list here of who wants to try what and for how long.  I don't think they need to travel together.  In a week or two I will then contact each of you personally to arrange the chain.  When I get the units back, they'll be auctioned off on Audiogon starting at some very low number.

I'd love to audition the Chime DAC, especially the USB input portion since I use an Audio PC.  Please put me on the audition list!

orpheus

I'd like to be in for at least the Chime audition.
« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2005, 02:27 am »
I would be interested in trying both, but most interested in the Chime.  I live in NYC, and if there are a lot of people interested here, it could make the rounds pretty quickly.

I had thought about asking you the same thing, since so many other companies do this, and it can really create buzz around a good product.  It's cheaper than advertising, since you're only risking a couple of production pieces, and it can have greater results since posting on forums can really have an impact.  Plus, getting to hear something in your home before you buy is fantastic, especially if it's an audition and not a purchase with a return policy.

At a minimum, you would get people ordering after their audition.  And if you send to audiophiles with friends who are audiophiles (we tend to associate with each other 'cause no one else wants to talk about stereos ad nauseum) then a lot of people will get to hear your work.

Thanks for being open to participating.

-Aaron.[/img]

hagtech

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #15 on: 20 Sep 2005, 02:40 am »
Ok, we've got enough for a cross-country chain.  I'll contact you all offline to get things started.  Probably ship machines out this week.

Thanks again for your participation!

BobM

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #16 on: 20 Sep 2005, 12:13 pm »
I'm also in NY - Long Island close to the city. Unfortunately they are beginning construction on my house next week, so my audio room will be out of commission until the 1st of the year, probably. But I would love to hear the DAC at that point (round 2, or 3, or 4?)

Thanks for the offer Jim,
Bob

Gooch

Chime DAC audition?
« Reply #17 on: 20 Sep 2005, 05:19 pm »
I am in Florida an would love to the Chime Dac :D

Dave