Another Sub Pair Completed

Bill A

« on: 9 Sep 2005, 07:16 pm »
I just finished up a pair two days ago, putting them in temporary cabinets until I have more time to build proper ones.  Can you tell from the pictures what the enclosure material is?

I got them finished Wednesday and listened some that evening.  I would adjusted the plate amp then listen for awhile then adjust some more; all the time thinking there is something missing but just couldn't put my finger on it, and it was late.

Last night I went back over the wiring and low and behold, they were wired out-of-phase.  Ah, success!

This is the first experience I've had with my own subs (a single 8" Vifa excepted) so I still have some exploring to do.  I don't have a home theater so all my experience is with music and I must say that so far I am impressed with their perfomance.  They are very smooth and deep in their delivery.

The enclosure volume is not optimal, being somewhere around 1.7 cuft with the tuning between 23 and 28 Hz, so I have a little work to do with the tuning when compared to the recommended enclosure.  That will come a little latter when I can get my measurement equipment on it.

BTW, the enclosure is an 11" x 11" x 24" (ID) terra-cotta flue tile with end caps, and it weighs a ton.

Bill A

Al Garay

« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2005, 07:47 pm »
Very creative. And you must have a lot of freedom to choose your decor or a very supportive significant other.

ohenry

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2005, 08:08 pm »
Pretty cool enclosures, I bet they're smokin' (sorry, I couldn't resist :oops: ).  Just curious, how did you attach the end caps to the flue liners?

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2005, 08:38 pm »
I think they look pretty cool.  I'd say you're onto something... Excellent first go at it!  Congrats!  You should be proud.

-C

Bill A

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2005, 10:14 pm »
Thank you all for the kind words.

you must have a lot of freedom to choose your decor or a very supportive significant other

Yes, both actually.  My wife enjoys music and she was actually a little disappointed when I told the cabinets were only temporary.  However, that leaves me a little breathing room for building permanent enclosures.

Just curious, how did you attach the end caps to the flue liners?

In the first pic you will see not only the stiles that run the length of the tile, but also the 1/4 round stays in the corners.  They are 3/4" mdf with about a 3" radius.  The stays keep the end caps from twising around and help support the weight, and since the tiles are not square and true, I had to hand fit each one.

Once that was done, I place an end cap on the floor and set the tile over it and positioned it centered on the 11" hole, and as square to the end cap as possible.  I then screwed a stop on the outside of the end cap against what would be the bottom of the tile (not shown).  That kept the cap and tile in postion, and also supports some of the weight when setting as shown.  At that point I just reached in and placed the stays tight into the corners, using two screws in each to secure them.

After that I flipped it over and repeated the process.  The real problem was how to keep the second end cap square to the first when I was installing the stays.

I then cut the stiles to length and screwed them to the end caps.  I used closed cell foam weather stripping to seal between the caps and the tile.

I must admit that I abandonded the project twice for lack of a good way to assemble it, and I am quite suprised by how sturdy and air-leak free it turned out to be.

Bill A

jeff lam

Overall diameter of driver/pr?
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2005, 05:04 am »
Bill, looks great... what did you measure for the overall diameter cutout to flush mount the driver and pr?  

Danny, do you know off the top of your head what the overall measurement is including the gasket with the jasper jig and 1/4" bit?  Would save me the time and wood of trial and error...

Thanks!

Danny Richie

Size
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2005, 03:06 pm »
Danny, do you know off the top of your head what the overall measurement is including the gasket with the jasper jig and 1/4" bit?

You need to cut an 11" hole to mount the woofer in.

Bill A

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2005, 10:28 pm »
The cutout for the woofer is 11", as Danny said, but I did flush mount it.

Since the end caps are two, 3/4" mdf panels glued together, I cut an 11" diameter hole in the inner piece and a 12 3/4" hole in the outer piece, then glued them.  The 12 3/4" hole is a little large, but I didn't measure how much larger.  Also, the 3/4" inset is a deep by 1/16".

You can easily pull the rubber mounting ring from the driver and use it to measure by.  One caveat, however, is that the sides of the mounting ring are not perpendicular to the top and bottom.  A crossection of the ring would show the outside slopes in slightly towards the top.

I would cut a sample to test the dimensions.

Bill

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2005, 10:55 pm »
I have been cutting an outer layer to be mounted over the woofer and squeeze down on the rubber gasket that like Bill said, is wider at the bottom than at the top.

I cut the hole 12 and 5/8" in diameter and cut a slight radius to the edge on both sides.

Then fit it over the woofer and screw it to the baffle below using some decorative screws.

jeff lam

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2005, 09:59 pm »
I have been cutting an outer layer to be mounted over the woofer and squeeze down on the rubber gasket that like Bill said, is wider at the bottom than at the top.

I cut the hole 12 and 5/8" in diameter and cut a slight radius to the edge on both sides.

Then fit it over the woofer and screw it to the baffle below using some decorative screws.

Thats what i was getting at...  I already cut the mounting holes at 11" and thats perfect.  What I was wondering and maybe I wasnt clear was the overall diameter including gasket to flush mount the driver.  I realize the gasket edge isnt exactly flush is larger on the botom so I figured I would do a roundover to give it a more sexy look but still give a recessed finish to it.  Hopefully it turns out good.  So 12 and 5/8" is about right huh?  I'll try that and see what happens.  Thanks guys for the input!

I'll be sure to post my project when complete.  Should be a few more weeks till its finished as I cant work on it everyday for hours.