Loving the Tempest

drphoto

Loving the Tempest
« on: 16 Apr 2003, 06:41 pm »
I came home from MAF with a new Tempest. I don't feel qualified to give an official review but lets just say it kicks the crap out my previous tube pre's. which included a Conrad-Johnson PV3 (yes...their cheap entry level unit) and a pricey ARC LS-15 (on loan).

The Tempest has much more detail, but is liquid smooth. The big supprise is soundstage. Far deeper and 'enveloping' now. Although I still want new speakers....I could now happily live with what I have. (modded Maggie 2c)

Kudos Klaus.

Oh yeah....since it has a phono stage....I may migrate back to vinyl.

Do wish it had dual outputs for subs....may mod it.

DiNo

Congratulation
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2003, 06:51 pm »
Congratulation Dr Photo. I've own the Tempest for over 2 years now and never look back or bother to look for another replacement.  I probably have mine upgrade with the dual output and remote control in the near future.

MaxCast

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2003, 07:54 pm »
Hey Doc,
Do you have any photos of a Stratos with the platinum face plate??  If so, email me one.
Later-

drphoto

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2003, 01:22 am »
Maxcast,

Not yet. Klaus will probably bring one to the next photo session.

That puppy is going to be a bitch to shoot. 'Chrome' surfaces are the hardest thing to depict in a photo. I was dreading it the minute I saw that thing. Is pretty though.

It was really great to see you again. Glad to hear you've joined the Odyssey family too.

Marbles

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2003, 01:44 am »
Quote from: MaxCast
Hey Doc,
Do you have any photos of a Stratos with the platinum face plate??  If so, email me one.
Later-

Hey rich,

Just come on down for a cold one and see one in person.....

Maybe someone has some pics of mine from Marblefest they could send you?

Eduardo AAVM

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2003, 03:03 pm »
Hi Doc, guys...

You are right the Tempest is awesome, a pity it is much less advertised and promoted than the amps, but it relly kicks some butt.

Altough I love amps, my reference starting point for any system configuration or upgrade is the Tempest.

Doc may I copy your post to place it in a forum I have in spanish ?

drphoto

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2003, 07:38 pm »
Sure no problem.

MaxCast

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2003, 11:43 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Quote from: MaxCast
Hey Doc,
Later-

Hey rich,

Just come on down for a cold one and see one in person.....

Maybe someone has some pics of mine from Marblefest they could send you?

Okay, I'll see ya in about 3 hours.  Then we'll go down to the corner 8)
I ordered mine in that finish and wanted to send my friend a pic.  I'm sure that finish is hard to get a good shot of.

If anyone has a shot of the platinum finish from the MAF or Marblefest please send me an email.  IMHO Klause should have a few "real" shots of the Stratos as it is a sweet looking amp!  especially the platinum.

mgalusha

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2003, 02:47 am »
Rich,

I believe the Stratos Klaus had on the table at MAF was platinum, at least I think that's what he said.

It's so shiny it reflects the back panel very nicely. :)

Mike

MaxCast

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2003, 10:35 am »
Thanks a lot, Mike.  your next lemonaid is on me, dude!!

subhuman

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2003, 06:44 pm »
here's a pic i saw on audiogon last week... looks awesome at first glance, then you may notice the photographer blacked himself out of the reflection..  :lol:

btw my stratos+tempest should arrive next thursday ... already broke it to my wife, so it's all good.  i was surprised klaus had them done so soon!

-smiller

Sa-dono

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2003, 07:10 pm »
Quote from: subhuman
here's a pic i saw on audiogon last week... looks awesome at first glance, then you may notice the photographer blacked himself out of the reflection..  :lol:

I remember seeing that, but didn't he describe it as chrome? I thought people wanted pics of the platinum finish?

W.C.

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2003, 08:46 pm »
That's what the platinum finish looks like.

MaxCast

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2003, 10:04 pm »
Thanks for the pic subhuman!  That man emailed me the same pics.  Thanks to all for being so helpful.  
Can't wait for it to get here!!!!!!!!

Klause has a hit with the Platinum/Chrome finsish IMHO.  The other colors are fine as well.  I wonder if he will ever offer the Tempest with these colors????  Klaus?

djbnh

User Comments on Tempest Preamp
« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2003, 02:45 pm »
I purchased a Tempest used last week (unit also has a 2d set of outputs) on AG. I frankly was shocked, and concurrently thrilled, at how good it looks and sounds. My 13 year old went, "Wow." The soundstage is amazingly open and lifelike, both side to side and front to rear [my speakers are modified SDA 1-Cs, which may have something to do with the soundstaging, too]). I'm running the Tempest into a NAD 2200PE, until I take delivery next week on a Stratos from Klaus. When the Stratos arrives, I'll use the NAD to run speakers out to the deck (I live on 5 acres in the NH woods where you can crank music outside and you won't have neighbors complaining!). Also, I run an older Sony CD player that is now singing through the Tempest; however, some of its sonic limitations are now apparent, and I'm looking to upgrade the unit.

I have a decent amount of vinyl, but nothing esoteric in the TT/cartridge area (older Sony TT w/Otofon; however, the phono section is sooo much better than the one in my old NAD unit that I'm considering purchase of a more high end TT/cartridge set-up (suggestions appreciated - however, I want to the outlay modest).

FYI - I don't run anything fancy for cables, beefier 1 meter Monster Cable Zs for the interconnects, Monster to the speakers (4 m runs). No fancy power cords, either. I do use an HT2100 power strip, although I've read elsewhere that Klaus recommends to run the Stratos run right from the wall outlet.

The Tempest has made a wonderful difference in my very modest system. I expect the Stratos, when it arrives, will do the same.  Way to go, Odysssey and Klaus - great product, and an even better value, new or used. :thumb:

db

barvindh

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2003, 02:13 am »
I have used a rotel preamp, but what a difference the tempest makes. Unbelievable clarity, soundstage and no harshness.
Now if Klaus had been able to ship the tempest to me sooner i would not have even bothered **&(ing with the rotel ... but life is good now. no more changes for 10 years. except maybe upgrade the monos to extreme and get rid of 3A sigs and take the dive into wilson audio.

Anyone seen monos drive wilson?

nathanm

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2003, 03:34 pm »
Quote from: subhuman

Nope, that's probably the guy's black pant leg and shoe reflected in the finish.  Despite heavy JPEG artifacts I don't see any evidence of brushwork in Photoshop.

Gorgeous looking front panel I must say.  Constant dusting required...heh!

JoshK

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2003, 04:07 pm »
Does the tempest use stepped attenuators or pots?  Is the other an option?

Marbles

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2003, 04:10 pm »
ALPS pots

Don't know if it's an option to get a ladder stepped attenuator, like a DACT.

subhuman

Loving the Tempest
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2003, 04:11 pm »
I've been waiting for my Tempest for a long time, and it is supposed to arrive today!  Yeah!  But the time is going so slow.  Can any Tempest owners post a picture of their Tempest or write a little bit more?  Right now I'm using a harman/kardon avr40 as a preamp as a stand in.  What kind of changes do you predict?  :lol: