Aska 100w Resale Price

bacworth

Aska 100w Resale Price
« on: 9 Sep 2005, 01:36 am »
Hello All

I have just completed an upgrade (I know some might think this isn't possible) and would like to sell my Aska 100w. Before I advertise it, what is a reasonable asking price?

PS The amp isn't upgraded, just the standard version.

cheers,
Brent
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2006, 01:16 pm by bacworth »

DSK

Re: Aska 100w Resale Price
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2005, 03:58 am »
Quote from: bacworth
Hello All

I have just completed an upgrade (I know some might think this isn't possibly) and would like to sell my Aska 100w. Before I advertise it, what is a reasonable asking price?

PS The amp isn't upgraded, just the standard version.

cheers,
Brent

Hi Brent, sounds like it is too late but have you had a good listen to this amp with the Nirvana Plus option? The improvement is far more than you would believe unless you heard it. Unless your requirements changed and you needed a little SET or a monster digital amp, or a more tubey sounding amp, you may have thrown the baby out with the bathwater  :(

Regardless, good luck with the new amp.  :D

EchiDna

Aska 100w Resale Price
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2005, 11:05 am »
and another thing... where are you?

there may just be someone around your area after such a beastie ;-)

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2005, 02:43 pm »
Quote from: bacworth

I have just completed an upgrade .......  

Are you saying you upgraded your entire system?  Because your PS says the amp isn't upgraded.  To what did you upgrade?

Anyway, I sold mine for around 1200 IIRC but it was the 100N+ w/ all Cardas connectors, Hugh's chassis and heatsinks, and the amp and PS boards were soldered by Hugh.   I kind of regret selling it now... Live and learn.

You'll need to post photos, explain the condition, and express your building competency in order to get a good value.

If it's a little sloppy you probably won't get too much... If you really worked hard and made it nice, you'll likely get a good price.

Good luck,
Carl

jonwb

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2005, 05:23 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
Anyway, I sold mine for around 1200 IIRC but it was the 100N+ w/ all Cardas connectors, Hugh's chassis and heatsinks, and the amp and PS boards were soldered by Hugh.   I kind of regret selling it now... Live and learn.

Yeah, my wife was really mad at me for not buying your amp... she loved the sound of that 100N+ that we had for a week during the tour.  I told her (like a ding bat) that we should be able to achieve that sound for less $.  I've since found getting my system to sound that good again has been difficult (well it hasn't happened yet)...

bacworth

Aska 100w Resale Price
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2005, 11:20 am »
I havn't upgraded the amp is the stock stand 100w version. My upgrade is to a Pass Labs Aleph 4. What curency is IIRC?

cheers,
Brent

Carlman

Aska 100w Resale Price
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2005, 11:54 am »
IIRC = If I recall correctly.. The price was in USD. :)

Jon, building a new AKSA wouldn't be terrible... Even at around 3,k I couldn't find a better amp... just different sounding.  

-C

bacworth

Aska 100w Resale Price
« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2005, 12:27 pm »
So cost price appears to be reasonable, where did you sell yours?

Carlman

Aska 100w Resale Price
« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2005, 01:46 pm »
Bacworth, I was a little off on the price... looks like it sold for 1450 USD.
Here's the thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=15674&highlight=aksa+100

I sold it in the Trading Post section of this forum (to an AC forum member).  I also advertised it for sale on Audiogon.com.

I think what made mine valuable was; that Hugh did most of the (technically challenging) work on that amp; it had the nirvana upgrade; and the Plus upgrade.  I upgraded some parts and did final assembly and finishing also...  Without those things, I'd say it's worth a lot less.

I would suggest you do a search on the trading post for 'AKSA' and see what people have sold them for in the past... I've seen them sold for around $400.. just depends on the amp..

-C

jonwb

Aska 100w Resale Price
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2005, 02:49 pm »
Bacworth, did you mention where you are from?  Are you from the US (120V)?  That might affect your "market" a bit.  

As for where to list it... I'd mention it here (Aspen Amplifiers Circle) and maybe the trading post first.  I think it'd go pretty quick (heck, I might throw my hat in the ring).  If it doesn't move in a couple weeks then I'd try Audiogon.

Quote from: Carlman
Jon, building a new AKSA wouldn't be terrible... Even at around 3,k I couldn't find a better amp... just different sounding.  

Carl, I would be the first person to agree that the $1,600 or so it would cost to build a respectable working/looking 100N+ still represents a good value.  Let's just say that proposing that to my wife (who loved the demo 100N+ BTW) would make riding my bike more comfortable (no testicles to get in the way).  $1,600 is still $1,600...

AKSA

Aska 100w Resale Price
« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2005, 11:08 pm »
The resale of the AKSAs is difficult to gauge, and certainly well outside my control.  The informed market fixes a price, largely based on original kit cost, add-on costs (transformers, case) and perceived worth.  However, if you audition the amp alongside the greats in audio, you find it ranks very well, and if the buyer were ignorant of the origins of the AKSA he could easily be persuaded to pay much more.  This is, of course, up to you as the seller.......... :roll:

As a guide, the 100W stock kit is $USD530, the Nirvana upgrade another $USD130, and the Nirvana Plus upgrade another $USD220.  The transformers cost about $USD100, the case maybe $USD80, and binding posts and IEC connector maybe another $20.  This is a good guide of cost;  your labor is not something easily recovered, but if it is really built well you could probably add up to $USD500, making a total of near $USD1600.  This is quite high as a 'used' item given original costs, but it's probably about a third of the commercial price based on sonic ranking.

Cheers,

Hugh

Carlman

Aska 100w Resale Price
« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2005, 01:01 am »
Quote from: AKSA
As a guide, the 100W stock kit is $USD530, the Nirvana upgrade another $USD130, and the Nirvana Plus upgrade another $USD220. The transformers cost about $USD100, the case maybe $USD80, and binding posts and IEC connector maybe another $20. This is a good guide of cost; your labor is not something easily recovered, but if it is really built well you could probably add up to $USD500, making a total of near $USD1600. This is quite high as a 'used' item given original costs, but it's probably about a third of the commercial price based on sonic ranking.

Plitron transformers are $160 plus shipping from Canada... The case is $100 plus shipping... don't forget shipping from Australia to the US... a real cost to consider.. and then binding posts and RCA connectors are as much as you want to pay.. if you want Cardas, add a '0' to the end of that $20.. ;)  

You can spend a lot on this amp if you want to 'go nuts' like me... which illustrates Hugh's point well... the value will vary.. both perceived and real..  I doubt Hugh could fully appreciate spending hundreds on 'audio jewelry'...  :lol:

AKSA

Aska 100w Resale Price
« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2005, 02:08 am »
Thanks Carl,

I hadn't realised the cost of the trafos or the case, appreciated.

Of course, you can spend as much or as little on the binding posts, case and wire as you like, but beyond a certain point I have my doubts it would improve the sound.....

And yes Carl, you are quite right, I am a pragmatist, and I will not spend hundreds on audio jewelry.  It is my style, certainly, but I try not to impose this austere, Warren Buffet style on others....... :mrgreen:   I might also add ruefully that I would never buy a BMW either, at least not in Australia where they are exorbitantly expensive........ :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

bacworth

Aska 100w Resale Price
« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2005, 11:23 pm »