Recording quality rating???

roymail

• Roy in TX
« on: 7 Sep 2005, 03:46 am »
Does anyone know of a website that rates the recording quality of CDs or  recording labels?  I think we would agree that all CDs are not created equal.  "Redbook standards" don't always assure good recordings.  To be sure, not everyone cares about the quality of the recording, but those of who have a substantial investment in highly resolving playback systems do care.  I just hate buying a CD only to discover it's full of grainy, digital garbage that just ruins the listening experience.  I'm finding that there are some recording labels that produce excellent recordings, and I'm trying to expand that list.  I'd appreciate hearing from others who may have a handle on this problem.  Thanks!

orthobiz

« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2005, 09:39 pm »
Actually about 3 or 4 months ago there was a website listed in TAS. It specialized in recordings that were not overly compressed, processed, etc. Unfortunately, the wife threw out the mag before I realized I should write it down!

Anybody else remember? Could it have been around the vinyl article in which they interviewed Josh from Music Direct?

biz

hershey 22

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2005, 06:04 am »
Hey Roy,

This is mostly in reference to SACD but it also give comparison of some redbook recording also. http://www.sa-cd.net/reviews/all

Hope this helps!!!

Wally King

Recording quality rating?
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2005, 12:29 pm »
The Classics Today site (http://www.classicstoday.com/) gives separate performance and recording quality ratings on a scale from 1-10 for each recording reviewed.

The site's reviews are only of classical music recordings.

SWG255

AA's music forums
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2005, 02:17 pm »
The websites mentioned already are good sources for SACD and classical CD reviews. Of course the audio publications also review recordings and make recommendations. In addition, I've found the music forums on Audio Asylum very helpful both to find new good music and good recordings. They have three forums, "Music Genral", where mostly classical and jazz are discussed, "Music Hip-Pop" where pop, dance  and other musical genres are discussed, and "Music Rocky Road", where rock music is discussed. These forums get more traffic than the music circle here on AC, so I visit them two or three times a week.

I have to say that I've been very happy with the music I've purchased based on recommendations I've read there.

roymail

• Roy in TX
Thanks, guys!
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2005, 10:04 pm »
I really appreciate all your input and enjoyed visiting the websites.  I learned some things in the process.  Thanks to all.

-- Roy