Tanzanite + sub vs. RC4

smithsonga

Tanzanite + sub vs. RC4
« on: 7 Sep 2005, 12:33 am »
What are thoughts and comparisons between a pair of Tanzanite's with subs (I am considering putting a sub in both front corners of my HT) vs. just going with a pair of RC4s and forgetting the sub?

Sonically?

With the RC4, do you supply a full range amplified signal or do you provide a line level sub input from the preamp?  I am guessing full range.

Would RC4 be sufficient bass for movies vs. a dedicated sub?

I take it the Sardonyx would be the center for either.

Thanks!
Jim

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Tanzanite + sub vs. RC4
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2005, 04:00 am »
Quote from: smithsonga
What are thoughts and comparisons between a pair of Tanzanite's with subs (I am considering putting a sub in both front corners of my HT) vs. just going with a pair of RC4s and forgetting the sub?

Sonically?

With the RC4, do you supply a full range amplified signal or do you provide a line level sub input from the preamp?  I am guessing full range.

Would RC4 be sufficient bass for movies vs. a dedicated sub?

I take it the Sardonyx would be the center for either.

Thanks!

Jim

I recently switched to a new amp for the RC4 which doesn't have high level inputs. If you don't have preamp outputs then the separate subwoofers (Whomp, Citrine) using the Keiga amps will support speaker level inputs.

The RC4's have plenty of bass output and extension for HT since they share the same driver that's used in the Whomp subwoofer. The dual 8" drivers give you greater dynamics and they will fill a larger room than the Tanzanites w/subs.

I'm designing a center to match the RC4 that will cost a little more than the Sardonyx (about $75-100 extra). This will compete with anything on the market and is significantly better than the typical dual woofer / small tweeter that you see everywhere.

smithsonga

Tanzanite + sub vs. RC4
« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2005, 02:05 pm »
Thanks rick!

What is the new amp for the RC4?  The website mentioned 300w and 500w.  I have a low level output in each front corner of my HT..so I could run a line level to the speaker without issue.

Therefore the preamp/amp setup does the low pass filtering for this setup?  I dont have an issue with that as my setup has a variable crossover point.  I just expected you to want to control that with your crossover.

What are details and timing of the center?

Jim

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Tanzanite + sub vs. RC4
« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2005, 03:27 pm »
Quote from: smithsonga
Thanks rick!

What is the new amp for the RC4?  The website mentioned 300w and 500w.  I have a low level output in each front corner of my HT..so I could run a line level to the speaker without issue.

Therefore the preamp/amp setup does the low pass filtering for this setup?  I dont have an issue with that as my setup has a variable crossover point.  I just expected you to want to control that with your crossover.

What are details and timing of the center?

Jim

Thanks for the heads up - I changed the written description to 500-watts for the amp. The amp is a BASH design with parametric equalization. The amp has a built-in crossover so you can bypass your crossover or if that's not possible simply set it to 80hz. The front drivers can also be driven full-range or crossed at 80hz.

The center should be available later this month and all details will be given at that time.

Thanks,

Rick