Anybody using tubes with Sapphire XLs?

Val

« on: 3 Sep 2005, 06:46 pm »
I am building my new stereo system from the ground up; after analyzing the market for months I have decided to purchase a pair of Sapphire XLs right now to take advantage of the Sep 15 deadline. I have a small room, don't like metal drivers but do require SOTA drivers, so the XLs fit perfectly. The problem is that since I also want to use tubes, specifically the Cary SLI-80 integrated amplifier, I fear the combination would be too much of a good (smooth, gooey) thing. Any XL owners out there using tubes?

Thanks

PS. These are great audio times and especially for poor audiophiles like me, what with little things like the Squeezebox2! Now my only problem is which modder to choose between Bolder and Red Wine. Really an embarrassment of riches!

Groch

« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2005, 01:43 pm »
Hi Val,
    I am using a Primaluna Prologue Two tube integrated that has, I think, similar ratings to the Cary and it is a great match.  The Sapphire XLs are by no means a dark/dull speaker - I think that the response measurements in the XL review linked at the top of the page bears that out.  

They are highly revealing, but not artificially bright.   When comparing the sound of the XLs powered by the PrimaLuna to a solid state amp, I hear what I would expect, the tube amp is a bit warmer and more musical and the solid state is a bit more analytical.     I think that Mike also has direct experience with this as he has used the Prologue Two with the XLs at trade shows and gotten very good results.

Val

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2005, 02:16 pm »
Thanks Groch, sounds good.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2005, 12:48 am »
Val:

As Groch said, we used the Primaluna amps in Vegas and everyone commented on what a wonderful match.  Recently I spent an afternoon at Jam'n Audio and we were playing the Grommes HiFi - 360, 60 watt tube monoblocks and Grommes HiFi - PHI-26, 1.6 / 6 watt EL84 tube based Integrated/Headphone amp with the XLs . . .  great stuff. The gentleman from Grommes was pretty amazed that the XLs sounded so goo with the litttle six watter. One of his comments, "they are certainly tube friendly!"

I think the Cary will sound great with the XLs  :)