Tempest Extreme and Cartridge...

Sonny

« on: 29 Aug 2005, 11:06 pm »
Hi everyone, I am a proud owner of the Monos and Tempest, both Extreme versions and have a question for those that use the Tempest Extreme's phono.  Currently I am running my VPI Scout w/ JMW-9 arm and a Dynavector 10x4.  Was wondering what anyone else uses and if they like the set up or not, specifically the cartridge, what you would recommend with the Tempest.

Thanks!

Sonny

jkm

« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2005, 03:07 am »
I've ordered the same system from Klaus as yours. Down the road I will be upgrading my turntable to a VPI and will probably go with Klaus's recommendation for a Van den Hul cartridge.

KarlDL

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2005, 03:08 am »
I have an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B which I'm generally happy with.  The 25-year-old Denon tone arm with worn-out o-rings & bushings is another matter.  Need to update table & arm!

Sonny

cartridge
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2005, 05:12 pm »
Hm...
so, one is the Van De Hul  and the other...what are the sounds Karl from yours?  Characters of sound if you can explain.  And on Klaus, he recommends the Van De Hul, but which one and how is the sound I wonder....
Anyone know?

btw, thanks so far for the comments.

jkm

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2005, 05:33 pm »
I haven't heard the Van den Hul or the VPI for that matter. But Klaus recommends both. Give him a call.

Sonny

KPLU...
« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2005, 07:50 pm »
you know, that' s where I went to school... I am now in SF Bay Area, where are you James?

Also, does KPLU still play Jazz?

jkm

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2005, 08:01 pm »
Hi Sonny,

I'm right downtown in Gastown (named after the flatulant Gassy Jack, Vancouver's first mayor.) KPLU is still all jazz and blues. They're online too if you want a listen. No doubt you're not without plenty of music and culture in SF. Great city! Was last there in '99 on my way to Burning Man.

KarlDL

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2005, 12:24 am »
I've never auditioned a Van den Huyl, so I can't draw any comparisons to my Ortofon.  The latter has most of the characteristics that I seek, exceptionally open and transparent midrange, good overall tonal balance, great recovery of inner and transient detail.  Jury is still out on its bass performance, as I don't have the best "test" tracks for that and there are tone arm issues.  Of what I've heard that I don't like, much is likely attributable to the worn-out tone arm and/or vinyl in need of cleaning.

Previous unit was a Dynavector Karat that didn't survive the pack-move-unpack cycle several years ago.  I was very happy with that cartridge.

--Karl

Sonny

Thanks!
« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2005, 11:51 pm »
Hm...interesting regarding the bass on the Orfoton cartridge.
I have a friend who love his.  
So, the Karat was really good?  Did you have that with the Tempest?
Thanks for the insights!
Where are you located Karl?

KarlDL

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2005, 03:36 am »
Sonny, Dynavector was before Tempest acquisition, "enjoyed" via battery-powered Marcof PPA and Hafler DH-101 preamp (both since retired).

As to location, note left column - I'm in western 'burbs of the Windy City.  Would rather live in Seattle, but .... not likely in this life.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2005, 10:12 pm »
Very simple:  vandenHuls are the absolutely best carts that I have ever heard in my life !!!!!  And I have had Rowlands, Clearaudios, and $$$$  Koetsus over the years.  They are fantastic,  period.  And yes, I can get them for you guys for a great deal.

Late,\\

Klaus

Musky_Don

« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2005, 04:31 am »
Hi Sonny,

I have Ex versions of both the Tempest and Monos.  I recently bought a VDH Frog from my good friend Klaus.  It is mounted on a Rega Planar 25.  I have no complaints.  LOL - I had goose bumps in the first few minutes - enough so that I had to call Klaus and tell him and ask about break in, etc.  Still get them.  The cartridge is as good as you would expect, check that, better than I expected.  

Before buying, I read all the propaganda - one thing does stick out a bit - it is really quiet with respect to surface noise.  Very quiet.  This is over and above all the other sonic benefits of this cart.  The speakers are Dynaduio Confidence C2s.  As a whole - I f^cking love it!  If anyone is interested, I can post more notes on the Frog later.  

My life has been a bit out of control lately spending a lot of time with family in light of a health challenge to a loved one.  I have worked in HC most of my career.  Still amazed at the compassion, dedication and technology...and pizzed off by the stupid things.  I can't say enough about agressively managing/questioning plans of treatment - regardless of your background or connections.  I am thankful for my Faith in God.      

Klaus - I apologize for not sending the old cart to you sooner.  My truth and coming clean  - hasn't been my highest priority.  Thanks again for your dedication to your customers and helping this dim fisherman build a kick azz system.

Don

Sonny

Frog...
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2005, 06:03 pm »
Don, thanks for the detailed comments and notes.
I too have the Extremes, mono and tempest, Meadowlark Herons and VPI Scout.  I am currently using a Dynavector 10X4...
Will I need a step up or anything with the Frog?
Also, the Frog is pretty $$$ is it not?
Well, additional thoughts on the Scout/Frog would be nice if you know it.
Thanks
Sonny

Musky_Don

« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2005, 04:38 am »
Hi Sonny,

I don’t know enough about Scout Tts to know what you might need to properly mount a Frog (besides careful aim lol).  I needed a ring from Rega to get the VTA correct.  The specs are available at the VDH web-site:  http://www.vandenhul.com/phono/frog.htm.  One of the reasons I bought the Frog is that as compared to some high-end carts, the Frog looks fairly solid.  It scares me to think of a small slip-up costing me $$$ - heck I enjoy my scotch too much to quit drinking while listening or listening while drinking.  (Klaus told me I s/b able to mount the Frog myself - lol.  After listening for a bit I realized I wanted a professional to check my work.  The sound is too good to chance a f^ck-up by me - plus I loved seeing the tech at my local store sweat a bit - great guy and he loved listening to the Frog when he was done.)  

Some quick comments on the Frog - please note that I have made several changes to my system - change control for review purposes has not been a high priority.  Here are the changes so you know where I am coming from:  

I have been working on re-modding my basement for some time - had a pipe freeze - you know the result.  Gutted it, replaced all the plumbing in the house, furnace, air (has nothing to do w/audio, but manly nonetheless), re-designed the living space, and built one hell of a cave (with my Brother‘s help and guidance - thanks Doug).  Listening area is approx. 25 x 15, with a similar space adjacent housing a pool table and behind the listening space two 48” French doors opening into my office 15 X 10.

I had two nice systems, one for HT, one 2 channel.  As a result of the pipe issue, I decided to build one killer 2 channel system that would also serve HT needs.   While working on the basement, I also began the process of buying/selling equipment.  

System changes…  In May (?) I upgraded from the Dynaudio Confidence C1s to the C2s.  In June (?) I upgraded one of my Tempests to the Extreme version.  In late June, I moved all equipment from a 14 x 20 room with hardwood floors to the new cave.  During the time that I had the X Tempest, most of my listening was via cds (I had bought a modded Jolida JD-100 somewhere in early 2005 - thanks Dave again for the input/deal on the tubes), and I was beginning to notice a drop off in performance of my old cart (a Lyra Lidea re-build from VDH - nice cart BTW).  

So when the Frog arrived, I had the C2s for a couple of months,  had been in the new room a little over a month, had the X Tempest for a little over a month but am not certain I had enough hours on the phono pre to properly break in the unit.

Enough of the qualifications.   Here is what I have noticed.  Fresh out of the box, the Frog shined.  Detail beyond anything I have experienced.  Never clinical, very refined, and laid back.  After a few hours, the cart showed some mid-range brightness.  Not unpleasant, just had me wondering.  The brightness has faded and the detail first noticed has developed into a  very deep and wide (deep first, then wide emphasis) sound stage - way beyond initial listening.  This is a full range cartridge that is very natural sounding (I.e. a nice match w/Odyssey and Dynaudio).  I find myself slowly working my way through my vinyl collection and realizing many of my good and very good albums are closer to mint.  The lack of surface noise on the stylus design really is noticeable.  I work out of my house and listen to music much of the time - I have 114 hours on the cart as I write this.  Vocals are to die for, strings,  horns the same.  Honest sound - yes, but less so than the Dyns.  I listened to a few early Aerosmith albums earlier, wow, the detail and depth make me wonder what I missed during my stoner days at those early shows (Tull is next).  Anything in the jazz genre is awesome, Jean Luc Ponty, Miles, Pat Metheny (used to sound complex).    

When I bought the Jolida, my Brother and I had some fun doing a/b listening with cds and albums (with the old cart).  The results were mixed.  The Frog is a big step up - no contest.  Amazing IMHO.  I am not sure how much of the improvemnent in my system is due to the Frog vs.. break in of the Tempest analog section.  I am certain the Ex analog Tempest version  is much better than the standard Tempest.  I think the mods Klaus has made are top notch, but I will experiment a bit with a few other phono pres.  It is all fun.

“Also, the Frog is pretty $$$ is it not?”

Based on what you have shared, it seems you have a fair amount invested in your system.  Over time, I have made many changes to my system.  Some with a  noticeable impact, most with a lesser bang for the buck.  In my system the big bang for the buck items are as follows:  1.  Upgrade from the Odyssey standard monos to the Extreme monos; 2.  Upgrade from Dynaudio’s Contour line to their Confidence line; 3.  The Frog.  I had to think a bit about making the cart change the third bang for the buck change - but it really is amazing.  I thought about upgrading my TT - rejected for the time being.  IMHO, my dollars were much better spent on the Frog.  

Klaus gave me what I consider a great deal on this cartridge.  Still, I never thought I would spend this much on a cart.  I am re-visiting everything.  Goose bumps.   :thumb: Enough said.    Hope this helps.

Quick note - as I preview this note, I put on Jethro Tull's This Was.  I believe this was their first album - very blues oriented, one of my favorites.  I am happy.  Ian Anderson's vocals, the production quality, and the harmonica in the second song - hanging about 5 feet in front of the left speaker - all pleasant surprises - later.

Don