''PlaceBo Effect'' ???

Soundideas

''PlaceBo Effect'' ???
« on: 27 Aug 2005, 11:09 pm »
Does the PlaceBo Effect really exist?.... http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/396410.html

Steve

Interesting
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2005, 02:24 am »
Hi Sound,

This is interesting Sound, as this topic, look at audiocentral string concerning speaker breakin, is being currently presented to the floor in at least three chat sites, AA, AR, and here.

ctviggen

''PlaceBo Effect'' ???
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2005, 11:42 am »
I definitely believe in the placebo effect, particularly for things like power cords.  Without setting up a blind test (one sided blind test), it's hard to not have the placebo effect.

Gordy

''PlaceBo Effect'' ???
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2005, 12:43 pm »
The mind is an uncontrollable, powerful machine, no denying that!  I would question how blind testing would be immune to placebo and suggestion as well though... Even the slightest tone inflection or body language by the presenter would influence the listening crowd, as would any in/from the crowd...  just another comment for an endless debate :?   :lol:

Carlman

Re: Interesting
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2005, 03:12 pm »
Quote from: Steve
Hi Sound,

This is interesting Sound, as this topic, look at audiocentral string concerning speaker breakin, is being currently presented to the floor in at least three chat sites, AA, AR, and here.

I think all of these kinds of debates should be organized in one place so, I've moved it to Audio Central to join the other very similar thread(s).

I tire of arguing what I heard vs. what someone else thinks I should or should not of heard...  Happy debating!

-C

Russell Dawkins

placebo effect
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2005, 06:29 pm »
I would say it exists - in spades!
As a recording / mixing / mastering engineer I have been caught out  more than once by this.
One time I was applying EQ to a finished mix in mastering and after about an hour of careful A/B comparisons, switching between EQ in/out, I was convinced I had a setting that substantially improved the entire mix. Going from one song to another always made a distinct improvement with the new EQ applied.
Then I discovered that the EQ was not in the circuit at all! A moment or two of sobering reflection followed.
Since then (about ten years ago) I have always been very aware of the power of suggestion in making judgements on small differences in sound. I have also come to the conclusion that the harder you "try" to hear differences, the less likely you are to. Listen as passively as you can - don't "try". It is also useful to be somewhat pre-occupied with another task, like washing the dishes, so your analytical faculties are somewhat disabled.
Russell

Steve

Placebo?
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2005, 01:59 am »
I know what you mean Carlman.  :)

DVV

Re: ''PlaceBo Effect'' ???
« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2005, 09:40 pm »
Quote from: Soundideas
Does the PlaceBo Effect really exist?.... http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/396410.html

It has been proved to exist medically. One group of patients was given a real drug, another a sugar pill but was told nothing and the third the same sugar pill, but was told that this was the same drug as in group one.

The percentage of people either cured, or with significantly reduced effects in group three was beyond expectations of the testing team.

Ah, the benefits of your wife being a university professor, school of medicine.  :D

I have often obsererved people "hearing" what they either expect to hear, or are told they will be hearing. They didn't "hear" it again in a blind test.

Don't doubt it for a second - it surely exists, and is just as surely used by sales people.

Cheers,
DVV

Steve

No question
« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2005, 10:43 pm »
I don't think there is any question whether it exists. The question is what, when, why, and how (physical or in the mind). Another question is does it occur during subjective listening testing itself, which will render its findings in error also. Is every step of the testing "covered or proven" as factual or are there possible errors.