Cd player kits and av amp kits

winterslove

« on: 27 Aug 2005, 01:10 am »
Hi all,

As i am a newbie please be understanding if my questions is a really daft one. :stupid:  :stupid:  :stupid:  :stupid:

but why is it that i can not find any diy kits for av amps
or kits for cd players?
not that that i am planning to build one just yet,lol
i just wondered why,that's all,
and i find it very hard to find any for turntables
orgin live use to but they have stopped making them now
according to the lady i spoke to when i called them some months back
as i thought at the time i could build one
but since then have learned to walk before i can run

i was going to ask hugh if he has any plans for a av amp kit
got any hugh, :D  :D  

jason

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2005, 02:38 am »
Jason,

CD players are mighty complex beasts, almost all now assembled by robot, so quite inexpensive.  Even as a DIY project, the mechanical and surface mounted component issues would be too complicated and definitely not cost effective.

As for AV amps, yes, I have some ideas, but AV amps are not widely available as high end products yet, moreover most are inexpensively made by robot, and until that time, I don't believe it's viable to do a DIY kit for them either.  But I'm watching......

Cheers,

Hugh

stvnharr

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2005, 03:41 am »
There is a cd transport kit at the following link:  www.digitalanaloguediy.com

This kit uses the highest quality Philips transport, but there is no dac.

Also, there is hawk audio in Netherlands at www.hawkaudio.com
They now list just a dac kit, no complete player.

All depends on your budget!

Tinker

• http://web.access.net.au/~bwilliam/macam
Re: Cd player kits and av amp kits
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2005, 08:26 am »
Quote from: winterslove
Hi all,

but why is it that i can not find any diy kits for av amps
or kits for cd players?

I once made my own CD player - what a PITA. There *are* kits you can buy, but Hugh is essentially right: there is basically no important part of a CD player you can assemble yourself. It's all done by machines.

There are a number of kits out there which basically take an already working CDM-12 or CD-Pro2 transport with drive/control/decoder mechanism and let you hook up the display, remote and power supply before you put it into a box.  

The first major upgrade is an add-on DAC, and further many of the high-end boutique CD-players are similar to above with after-market modifications, namely highly modified power supplies, low-jitter clock modules and funky damping materials in the chassis.

There is a lot of satisfaction in putting a thing like that together for yourself, but a lot of folk will settle for an add-on DAC, or perhaps modifying a commercial CD players power supply, clock and chassis.

T.

rabbitz

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2005, 02:07 pm »
AV amps are a problem as you need to have a licence, bug bucks, to buy the DD or DTS chips.... not worth the effort anyway. To me, HT is non critical and doesn't stretch the equipment like music. I just use a Yamaha RXV440 which is cheap and does the job well.

Some builders are grabbing these chips from dead DVD players that have the onboard processors.