Sub & LS DIY questions

Hoots

Sub & LS DIY questions
« on: 22 Aug 2005, 11:20 pm »
I have strong interest in the new sub but I would like to learn more about the cabinet options:

1) complete DIY vs. purchase assembled enclosures

a. would you recommend the sub and even the LS project for a novice if their neighbor will give them access to their garage of woodworking tools and some advice?

b. how many hours would you estimate for the sub cutting? and sub assemble?

Is DIY a good idea for those more interested in saving money than in the joy of the project?    When it comes to the big LS speakers, I might be a better candidate for the ready-to-play version, but the sub seems like a good project to start with as a test.   When I was in engineering school I built some car speakers and designed my crossovers and recently I did some tube amp restoration so I have gotten my hands dirty before.

Danny Richie

Subs and stuff
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2005, 01:42 am »
a. would you recommend the sub and even the LS project for a novice if their neighbor will give them access to their garage of woodworking tools and some advice?

The sub is an easy project to build. If you have or have access to a table saw and a router with a circle cutting jig on it then the whole thing is pretty easy.

b. how many hours would you estimate for the sub cutting? and sub assemble?

Maybe an hour to two hours to cut all including the circular holes. An hour to an hour and a half for assembly using wood glue and a finishing nail gun. A little longer if tapping in finishing nails with a hammer.

Is DIY a good idea for those more interested in saving money than in the joy of the project?

I'd say it was a little of both. Sometimes it is not so much of a saving of money as it is for the same money getting performance levels that are more typical of high dollar budgets.

Some enjoy the build process so much that they build something new every few months. These are my favorite customers, because once they try our designs they often build lots of them.

When it comes to the big LS speakers, I might be a better candidate for the ready-to-play version

Projects like the line sources are big projects and do take a lot more time, but they are not any harder to build. It is just a lot more circles to cut and drivers to wire up.

A lot of our customers are novices or first time builders so we have put forth great effort to make it easy for them. We also give lots of customer support after the sale.

Brian71

Sub & LS DIY questions
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2005, 01:54 am »
Hoots,

It's definitly not very difficult to build the subs. I had 2 of the GR subs and they are awesome performers (since gone to an IB).  Hardest part for me is finishing things so they look nice. I've never worked with veneer, just did paint and bed liner on the subs I've done.

I live in McKinney. If you need another source for help and tools, I'm happy to help.  I have the circle jig also for cutting holes in mdf.

Hoots

Sub & LS DIY questions
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2005, 04:08 am »
Thanks...the sub sounds like a great first time project and well within my time constraints.  If I can get my 13 year old interested it might have an even bigger payoff.

The MDF, amp and drivers sound straight forward.  Black color would be fine but it might be fun to give a nice vaneer a shot...