Sonic Craft Sonicap Gen. 1 vs. VH Audio V-Cap OIMP

Danny Richie

« on: 18 Aug 2005, 01:40 am »
Somebody just set this to me. I didn't even know it was going on and am not sure of the circumstances that brought about the comparison.

See link: http://www.10audio.com/sonicap_oimp_multicap.htm

Interesting but not a surprising outcome. What is interesting is the price difference.

Somebody needs to tell that guy to by-pass the 12uF Sonicap with a .1uF Gen. 2 Sonicap (they are only $2.50 each). Then it really gets good.

I actually hear about comparison like this all the time being made by our customers, but this is the first time I have seen a more formal review being posted somewhere. Maybe it's because most of the time the more serious capacitor comparisons I hear about are from OEM's and manufacturers and they usually try to keep such info to themselves as an edge.

Enjoy the read.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2005, 06:27 am »
I thought the Sonicaps were good, but I guess they're excellent!

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2006, 02:58 pm »
There has been a new update to this review as of March of this year.

I don't know the gentleman that reviewed these but it sounds like he has a good ear.

I have to say though that I disagree with him on the by-pass caps unless he did not have them completely burned in. If they weren't burned in then I can understand his conclusion. Once completely burned in what he noticed as a problem with them shouldn't be there.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2006, 04:41 pm »
I have to say though that I disagree with him on the by-pass caps unless he did not have them completely burned in. If they weren't burned in then I can understand his conclusion. Once completely burned in what he noticed as a problem with them shouldn't be there

I agree with you on this one Danny. I have done some extensive listening with and without bypass and my findings were the same as the author's prior to full break-in on the bypass caps.

I have used all 3 versions of the SoniCaps as well as the V-Cap Teflons in high pass bypass and will continue to follow this arrangement. I am a big fan of Teflon and fuond both the V-Cap and Platinum to be excellent contenders. Just different.

RAW

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2006, 05:37 pm »
Well Danny a little something every one is slow to find out.
Yes the Sonicap and gen 1 bypass work great ,the do a lot for our products as well do the Platinums in our our other products.
When you use 6-8 platinum per speaker they need to have a little break in :mrgreen:

They final results money well spent .
Good review

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2006, 05:45 pm »
Yea, I know what you mean about those Teflon based caps. I am glad that the Sonicap Platinum went back into full production.

I am stocking all values and have been moving quite a few of them despite not even having them up on my web site. I have been selling them mostly in quantities to OEM's.

I am a big fan of Teflon and fuond both the V-Cap and Platinum to be excellent contenders. Just different.

I have sent out Platinum's to a handful of V-cap Teflon users (mostly OEM's) and all have switched to the Platinums. Most stated that they liked them both very well but the biggest difference was the price. The Sonicap Platinum's are less than half the price of the V-cap Teflon. Then with quantity price breaks at 25, 50, and 100 they get vary reasonable.

I have been giving some special pricing to some OEM's on standard Sonicaps too, with mixed piece pricing for repeat customers.

I have really liked using the Gen.2 Sonicaps as by-pass caps in speakers. I have been stocking a .1uF in 200 VDC just for that application. They retail for only $2.70 each and there are price breaks on those too. They're unbeatable in that price range.

Al's these are the ones you've been getting. They're Gen.2's.

RAW

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2006, 06:21 pm »
Yes sorry Danny :oops:
They are Gen 2  plus the platinum .1 bypass we use as well.
You have to really like the .1 platinum caps
 :mrgreen:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2006, 06:22 pm »
Most stated that they liked them both very well but the biggest difference was the price

I use both. I have found them to be quite different when used in coupling applications. They are different in construction and which one desired depends on theapplication and sonic flavor desired. I am also very glad to here the Platinums are now back in production.

I have really liked using the Gen.2 Sonicaps as by-pass caps in speakers. I have been stocking a .1uF in 200 VDC just for that application.
Al's these are the ones you've been getting. They're Gen.2's.

Again, this depends on the applications. For power supply bypass, The Gen 1s are the only thing I will use if a consumer does not want to go with Teflon. In crossover applications. I do prefer the 'warmer" sound of the Gen II but again, completely dependant on desired voicing like anything audio. I still prefer Teflon even for bypassing.

While I will not get into the V-Cap vs. SoniCap debate (I don't like debates as there is never any closure), I will say I use a lot of both. I like them both. With the Platinum now back in production, I am sure more of these will be coming through my place.

My personal preferences are not an issue as most of my work is custom and I leave much of this decission making up to the consumer. When they are happy, that's all that matters.