Musical Design Amplifiers

WEEZ

« on: 17 Aug 2005, 11:53 pm »
I am posting this here 'cause maybe some of you guys in and around St. Louis might be more informed re: Musical Design than others....

Would any of you who have heard the D-75B amplifier care to comment on it's sonics?- i.e., the general 'character' of it's sound? Would you consider it 'mid-hall'?- 'upfront'?, etc..

I was once recommended these amps off-line by sturgis, I think, but I've had a system crash since then and don't have the e-mail...

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome. I'm thinking of pairing an AVA pre-amp with a D-75B and Merlin TSM-MM speakers in a room approx. 12x19x9. Sources would include a Grado cart. & CEC cd player.

Thanks for any and all comments..

WEEZ

sturgus

« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2005, 12:54 pm »
Hey Weez,
You can't go wrong using the MD D-75 it is a great little amp. The sound of the amp is very balanced with a slight tube like quality. It has very good extension with a hint of darkness. I see that you plan on using it with Merlins. The first time I heard the Merlins (VSM) was with the D-75. I bought the Merlins. I may be a bit biased since I have known John for a few years and he has done several mods to my equipment that I think made real changes for the better. I still own a D-140 that drive the subs in my system. The SP-1 that he upgraded for me about 6 months ago has taken the place of my Audio Research LS22. For what the D-75 cost it's a no brainer.
Sturgus

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2005, 10:03 pm »
Thanks for the response..

A while back, a guy told me that the D-75B was a remarkable amplifier and had some of the qualities of tubes, in that it is extreemly 'unoffensive' in the upper mids and highs, and had that airy, spacious quality up there. As well and being able to replicate a proper soundstage very well.

Yes, it's a bargain, it seems- even at the msrp. I might just give it a go.

Thanks again,

WEEZ

ps: sorry I mis-spelled your user name.. :(