Tempest details?

BobC

Tempest details?
« on: 16 Aug 2005, 04:10 pm »
Hi Folks, please excuse my ignorance but I have some questions regarding the Tempest pre and your experiences...(the web site isn't of much use).
1.  What does the "power" knob do?  Is this gain?  Not just the on/off correct?
2.  How does the HT by pass work?  DVD>HT receiver>Tempest>Amp?
3.  How's the sound?  I currently have mono extremes and Martin Logan Ascent i's.  I've been told to introduce a tube pre.  How would the Tempest compare?
4.  Can I get balanced outs as an option?
5.  Is the remote full function or just volume?  Motorized knobs?  Ergonomic considerations?
6.  I've read that the advantage to the extreme upgrade is only realized with phono use...which I don't do.  Is this correct?

I'm weighing the option of pre w/ HT loop against a new pre/pro.  I like the simple pre/pro solution but don't want to bet burned by technology changes (HD DVD and Blu-Ray).  Current pre/pro is Rotel RSP-1066.

I know I could just "call Klaus", but I'd like to know your thoughts.  I do find the lack of useful information on the website discouraging.

Thanks!

John151

Tempest details?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2005, 07:00 pm »
I will answer some of the easy ones:

1)  The power knob is simply ON/OFF.
2)  When the source selector is set to Aux, the signal is simply routed directly from the inputs to the outputs.  The Tempest can be turned off while using the HT bypass.
5)  The remote is just volume, and is basically a motorized knob.  

Hope this helps.

bunky

Tempest details?
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2005, 08:36 pm »
the Extreme tempest version is hot rodded to enhance the phono stage of the tempest if you dont use a turntable you dont need the extreme version. the sound of the tempest is very enjoyable and many odyssey amplifier owners also own the tempest. i use the tempest with a pair of mono extremes and i am very pleased with the results. these preamplfiers are based on a $4.000 symphonic line design and are made to match the odyssey amplfiers. if you buy one you wont regret it!          william c waldecker 3rd

pfradale

Tempest details?
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2005, 10:03 pm »
I can answer Qs 4 & 5:

4) No.

5) Just volume.  The remote is functional but not pretty, if that counts to you.  It's a remote for another brand of machine with a sticker over the holes where the other buttons would go.  When you use the remote a "vvvvvv" sound comes through the speakers.  The volume is motorized.

I wouldn't let the above information be a deal-breaker, though.  The Tempest works very well with my mono extremes (it should!) and is a solid piece of audio gear.

I'd asked Klaus about a custom unit: balanced in/outs, power switch at the back like the mono amps, change the front power knob to a second volume channel, use stepped attenuators for both; he said it would require an entire re-design of the circuit, which he would not do, and I got the impression that he felt the audible gain would not be worth it.

BobC

Thanks! Any other suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2005, 02:06 am »
Thank all!  Very informative.  I'm sure there's great synergy with the mono extremes.  Sounds like a possibility...but not an exact fit as is.  I'll need to keep looking.

Anyone have another equipment suggestion?

Thanks!

robbiesurp

Tempest details?
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2005, 01:32 pm »
Quote from: pfradale

5) Just volume.  The remote is functional but not pretty, if that counts to you.  It's a remote for another brand of machine with a sticker over the holes where the other buttons would go.  When you use the remote a "vvvvvv" sound comes through the speakers.  The volume is motorized.

How loud is this "vvvvvv" sound? Is every one hearing this from their tempest?

John151

Tempest details?
« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2005, 01:41 pm »
I hear it, it is not very loud, and it has never bothered me.

jcoat007

Tempest details?
« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2005, 01:42 pm »
Quote from: robbiesurp

Mine doesn't go "vvvvvv".

bunky

Tempest details?
« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2005, 09:36 pm »
Quote from: jcoat007
Quote from: robbiesurp

Mine doesn't go "vvvvvv".
mine makes no sound whatsoever except for the beautiful music!

pfradale

Tempest details?
« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2005, 09:37 pm »
Klaus told me they (all?) make that noise, that it was nothing unusual.

KarlDL

Tempest details?
« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2005, 03:09 am »
Several comments:

Balanced I/O isn't readily feasible.  The circuit board isn't designed for it.  I'm not aware of any factory mods to provide it.  And the Stratos, despite the XLR connectors, doesn't have a truly balanced input.

Many comment that the Tempest's sonic signature is "tube-like".  I don't know, as I haven't used a tube pre yet.  Maybe this winter I'll build one to the designs I worked out nearly 2 years ago.  No gripes about my Tempest, though, aside from source switching not being remoted.

I don't hear the "vvvvv", but my low-level hearing is deficient.

My remote is a Symphonic Line branded unit.  It's about to be retired, as I've "taught" my Pioneer PDP-4250 TV remote to perform its function.

As others note, Tempest Extreme version is relevant only if you're into vinyl.  The technical differences are increased phono stage gain (via a Darlington conversion of the phono stage's output transistor) and (if you choose) a shielded power transformer.  Given my hearing deficiencies, I did the former but not the latter.

Can't comment on HT bypass - don't have it.

--Karl

KarlDL

Tempest details?
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2005, 03:17 am »
Additionally,

I've looked into modding my Tempest for balanced output.  I haven't found an approach that I'm content with yet.  Each approach that's easy to implement degrades other design or performance aspects.  The "readily benign" solution is an external Jensen transformer, but that doesn't necessarily suit my specific interest, and is certainly not for nontechnical users.

--Karl