Shipper Blues revisited. Cabinet repair anyone?

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« on: 15 Aug 2005, 08:06 pm »
Ok, so in the past year, I've had two pair of speakers shipped, and two pair of speakers f'd up.  1st time by UPS, now, FedEx.

Ended up getting a (formerly) perfect pair of Paradigm Reference 20 V.2's.  The price was right, came with stands and they sound amazing on my 6 year old Yamaha 100 watter . . .    

So now I have two nicely smashed corners with the beautiful "wood", aka vinyl, peeling off.  Of course FedEx will only cover damages on the one damaged speaker.   They can't replace it, 'cause they don't make this particular model anymore.  As it turns out, I have a pair of speakers worth dramatically less than what I paid for them 5 days ago.  Since they can't replace the speaker, they want to know how much it will cost to fix it.  I told them it probably can't be fixed.  Paradigm says they don't stock old cabinets, and the local Paradigm dealer doesn't fix cabinets.  

Even if they do give me some cash (each speaker was insured for $350), they'll never be worth much anymore, unless I can get this thing back to the condition it was in last week.

Does anyone know where I can get this cabinet fixed?  Or am I screwed again by another freakin parcel delivery company?

Anyone have any suggestions?   Anyone?  Anyone?  Ferris?

sturgus

« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2005, 11:43 pm »
If it were me I would take them to a cabinet maker and get a price on fixing the corners and  wood veneer.
Sturgus

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2005, 12:28 am »
What Sturgus said.  It has happened to me more than once.  Only once on speakers, but twice on amps.  Get a fix it quote, even if it is ridiculous and not worth it.  FedEx should pay for something.  They bank on you giving up and quiting which means they don't have to pay, that is their strategy.

mark@marktwain

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2005, 05:38 pm »
Hey Kirch,

I'm a hobby woodworker can ya post a pic of the damage or send me one via email. I can probably give ya some fix-it suggestions. Are these cabinets vinyl or veneer covered MDF?

Mark

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2005, 05:56 pm »
Are there any furniture refinishing companys nearby? If so I'd take the speakers to them and get an estimate. If it's high maybe fedex will give you the insured value of the speakers.

Cheers
                     Charlie

DeadFish

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2005, 11:29 pm »
Yeah Kirch!
What Mark said as I've had my fingers in the hobby too.
Is the damage structural or primarilly cosmetic?
If primarilly cosmetic, you might be able to do something slick on both speakers to match and make it look on purpose!  
Sometimes when things happen, it can be an *opportunity*.  :wink:
Post us a pic if you can.
I'm just across the river from you.

Regards,
DeadFish

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2005, 10:16 pm »
Hey everyone - thanks for the posts - I've been outta town.

Here are the pics.  Thanks!  By the way, Scott claims he can fix them by putting new veneer over the old stuff.  

I think the old stuff is plastic, but Paradigm claims it's wood.  Christ, the stuff's soooo thin, it might as well be painted on.  The FedEx guy just came by and picked it up.  Wonder if I'll ever see it again.

Thanks -

Kirch

mark@marktwain

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2005, 05:51 pm »
Yep, that's what I'd do. Just whack off the damage, glue a new chunk of material on the corners and stick some new veneer on there, stain and finish. I'd still try to get an estimate from somebody and make the shipper cough up some dough. Heck ya may score enough to fund another piece of gear! :D

Mark