Cornet Capacitor Orientation

Yoda

« on: 15 Aug 2005, 04:23 pm »
In my latest AES catalog, I noticed that the Auricaps have a preferred signal path orientation...of course it seems to be the opposite of what I did!  The black lead is supposed to be the signal input and the red lead is supposed to be the signal output.  How critical is this?

Here is a pic of how I put my board together.

It is clear that C203 and C208 should be flipped, but I cant tell about 200 and 206--red lead on voltage rail or ground?

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt

hagtech

« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2005, 07:23 pm »
Oops.  I always used the red lead on the more positive dc voltage.

jh :|

Yoda

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2005, 07:39 pm »
a little further research from the audience website answers the questions:

Leads

In signal path applications the black lead is "in" and the red lead is "out."

In power supplies the black lead should be connected to ground and the red lead to the + or – voltage.

In loudspeaker crossovers the red lead should be connected toward the + terminal on the drive unit.

So if it sounds good backwards, maybe its a good thing that can only get better?

Matt

Yoda

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2005, 07:02 pm »
Took the Cornet2 apart last night.  While the board -can- be built in a 2" high metal case, it got built in pretty tight with the switch and the RCA's.  

Had to unplug/desolder those.  I'd only recommend the 2" case it if you don't plan on tweaking!

It would have been better if I had mounted the board on a plate rather than the box...

Feel like the old lady who swallowed a fly.  And on top of that, I haven't ridden my bike enough recently...cyclocross will be a b''ch this year.

Matt

Yoda

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2005, 01:10 pm »
Fixed the capacitor direction, and everything sounds very, very good.  Is it better than before?  No way to tell...

M