Omega with Bryston?

rhart

Omega with Bryston?
« on: 12 Aug 2005, 05:52 pm »
I had very quick listen to some Super 3s at Audio Oasis in Toronto (connected to a modified Sonic Impact T-Amp), and was very impressed. Indeed, I'm thinking very seriously about the Grande 6 to replace my PMC DB1s. Is there any advantage to driving the Grande 6 with my Bryston 3B-ST? Or, is the greatest advantage the fun of finding a more appropriate amp? I do love the Bryston-PMC combo, but something about the pacing and timing through the Omegas has really got into my head. Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

miklorsmith

Baseless opinion
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2005, 06:38 pm »
I would guess a smaller amp, designed for hi-eff speakers would be better.  Your Bryston is geared with its "powerband" at much higher output levels than it will use on the Omegas.

The "First Watt" is the only one you'll be using most of the time with the Omegas.  Everything I've read is that big amps are generally not as transparent at this level than one optimized for it.

The good news:  There are many great, affordable small amps that will sing with Omegas.

Louis O

Omega with Bryston?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2005, 12:48 am »
Hi rhart

Great to hear you enjoyed the Super 3s at Audio Oasis.

Although I haven't heard the Bryston, miklorsmith is right about smaller amps working better. I would try a modded Teac or Clari t and there are a lot of great tube amps out there too.

Talk to you soon,
Louis