A year+ review

pfradale

A year+ review
« on: 12 Aug 2005, 10:16 am »
So it's been about 14 months since I first opened the magic white cardboard boxes from Odyssey containing my Extreme Monos and Tempest; since then I've moved from Hawaii to Japan and changed my source from an entry-level multiplayer to a Sony SCD-1.  I can say that my components are well-burned in by now and I feel comfortable offering my listening opinions.

First, my room is 11 1/2' x 18 1/2', wooden floor with a central throw rug, no room treatments.  Small, but for Japan it is quite large.  I've installed vertical slatted blinds along a side sliding glass door, accordian-like to disperse the waves.  I use the system for audio primarily, but also for HT in conjunction with a Sanyo PLV-70 projector.

Source out I have the aforementioned SCD-1 fed into the Tempest and then the Mono Extremes. The Tempest has the numetal transformer found in the Extreme version.  I am using DIY ICs and standard ripcord speaker wires.

My speakers are DIY towers using paralleled Lambda Acoustics TD15X 15" mid-basses (300Hz XO) and 700g passive radiators with Lambda Acoustics Unity Horns handling the mids and highs.  The Unity uses a B&C compression tweeter with four coated Pyramid mids.  Unities are constant-directivity horns.  The horns and mid-basses have a passive first-order XO, nominal resistance of 4 ohm and a sensitivity of 94 dB.

During HT use and day-to-day listening I have the speakers tight in each corner along a short wall, toed in to the listening chair.  They have to be to sit on either side of the 8' screen.  The C/D nature of the horns controls early reflections, at least, and there is some reinforcement of the bass.  For dedicated listening the speakers are moved in and forward, though I do not do this often since the speakers weigh 400lbs each.  I am thinking of putting them on casters of some sort to facilitate movement in future.

I listen primarily to jazz, much from the 50s and 60s.  I also love Steely Dan, and am becoming interested in classical music, having heard some on SACD that blew me away.  I have a fair bit of 70s rock but I don't listen to it nearly as much as I used to do.  My wife enjoys world music so that gets played a bit.

Ok, enough background.  I could simply tell you that I love my system and would not part with it. Period.  I'm sure there are amps and other components that would best my system but I believe they would be unrealistically expensive and would not offer enough improvement to warrant the investment.

System synergy is often mentioned here; I have it in spades.  The Odyssey components are brutal in that poor recordings have nowhere to hide; the flip-side, though, is that good recordings, particularly SACD, literally give me goosebumps.

The bass is very tight, never boomy, and quick as well.  Sharp kick-drum thumps hit with visceral impact and clear attack.  Cello ranges from thoracic-cavity thrum inducing bass to achingly liquid mid-range decay. Jazz bass never sounded so good outside a live venue.  Each note is distinct, never late, never muddied, immediate and vibrant.  This system makes you tap your toes.

Massed strings never overwhelm the components nor does violin fatigue the ears as I've had happen with other amps.  The soundstage is wide and deep with spot-on imaging.  The mid-range deserves special mention.  Voices are _there_ in the room, palpable.  The attack and decay of a piano are stunning. Sax and trumpet are warm, velvety almost.  You can hear the keys working, the breath on the reed, everything.

The highs are open, airy.  On lower-quality CDs the system is silvery; not objectionable but a bit bright.  On good recordings and particularly on SACD the high- frequency timbral quality is jaw-dropping.  So open and free without ever being harsh, you can listen for hours.

When the hammer is down the amps never even break a sweat; you can really pump symphonic pieces to live levels and still avoid clipping much of the time.  Clipping, when it does occur, is nothing like other SS amps I've had, and happens so rarely at normal listening levels that it is a non-issue for me.

From before the purchase to the replacement (and comp upgrade!) of my Tempest transformer, Klaus has been nothing but the best experience I have ever had with a company/individual's customer support, bar none.  Even my wife, who views most companies with disdain has nothing but praise for Odyssey.

Future upgrades/monkeying...well, a local audio nut is making a balanced/unbalanced transformer for me to try from the Sony to the Tempest.  He swears it will open up my highs. We'll see.  I have toyed with the idea of Groneberg ICs and speaker cords.  I plan on being in Singapore in September and will see if Alex is available.  I'd like to do some A/B testing.  If I can hear a difference in the shop I'll likely grab them and install them at home.

Anyway, I love my audio system.  I look forward to coming home every day and listening, and don't see that changing any time soon.  The Odysseys perform so well that I am spoiled.  Anyone considering them should go for it.

Whitese

A year+ review
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2005, 08:19 pm »
I love what you have done with the Lambda drivers...nice to see someone else that appreciates their drivers...I had Lambda subs and am yet to find any better, especially when compared to the copper faraday optioned ones...

pfradale

A year+ review
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2005, 11:54 pm »
Thanks, they really are the best speakers I've heard--it's a shame Nick couldn't make a go of it, but that just makes the speakers that much rarer! Here's a (lame) shot I took a moment ago of the system so you could see the speakers.

Gallery shot

siowyn

A year+ review
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2006, 07:38 am »
Hi, pfradale
Liketo know how effective are the vertical blinds in deflecting the reflections from the glass door that you have. I have the same problem of having one wall near one speaker being a wall of glass... so your input is much appreciated.
thanks
Nam
Singapore
tempest
mono extreme
benchmark DAC1

pfradale

A year+ review
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2006, 11:37 am »
Hi Nam,

They help a fair bit, but I think they could be better.  Right now they are wooden slats about 1cm-wide laced together with heavy thread.  The accordion-like profile definitely helps break up reflections but I believe a heavy double-cloth curtain/drape with the same profile would work better due to absorption. We went with the wooden slats because we have a cat whose hair would foul cloth and because we liked the look of wood better in this room.  Hope this helps,

P

jkm

A year+ review
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2006, 06:07 pm »
Just curious about what you experienced during the burn-in period. I've had my monos for a few months and am still hearing congestion particularly in voices. In many ways there is more detail than what I heard with my Stratos but also less clarity, if that makes sense. Some SACDs sound better, such as the Stones' Satanic Majesty, yet Beck's Sea Change or Pink Floyd's DSOTM sound painfully brittle and thin. The sound seems better at higher volumes than lower, though I can't listen at more than half volume in my loft apartment. Any thoughts?

rosconey

A year+ review
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2006, 10:21 pm »
Quote from: James K-M
Just curious about what you experienced during the burn-in period. I've had my monos for a few months and am still hearing congestion particularly in voices. In many ways there is more detail than what I heard with my Stratos but also less clarity, if that makes sense. Some SACDs sound better, such as the Stones' Satanic Majesty, yet Beck's Sea Change or Pink Floyd's DSOTM sound painfully brittle and thin. The sound seems better at higher volumes than lower, though I can't listen at more than half volume in my loft apartment. Any thoughts?

hmmm,what  is your pre,source,speakers ect-

do you leave them on 24/7-

mine had a major change after a few hundred hours or so-nothing like you describe

pfradale

A year+ review
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2006, 10:34 pm »
I can relate to the volume issue--my lambda speakers are efficient enough that I can barely get the volume 1/4-1/3 through its travel without bothering neighbors.

I have not heard any congestion in the voices--in fact that is one ofthe best features of my system, I think. That is likely down to my speakers, though, which excel in that frequency range.

I have not heard DSOTM, or Beck on my gear so I cannot comment directly, but I can tell you that Page&Plant's No Quarter (RBCD) sounded brittle and thin at higher volumes than it did when I was running the same speakers off my old Carver amp & pre.  Now that I think of it, I find that a lot of my old rock collection just isn't as enjoyable to listen to as it used to be, but I believe that is due to the recording. For example, Gaucho on SACD sounds amazing.

Like I said in the review, the system is very, very revealing.  Tube amps and/or a tube pre-amp might soften things, particularly  with my speakers, but the Odyssey gear leaves poor material nowhere to hide.  Since I listen to jazz 99% of the time I don't run into this problem often.  Even well-done RBCD (Mapleshade, for example) does not sound thin.

rosconey

A year+ review
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2006, 10:39 pm »
tube cdp-dsotm sound wonderful

i still crank my stones-zep-ac/dc-doors ect-everthing sounds good  :mrgreen:
my speakers arent real efficient-86db i think.my system sounds great at low volumes

jkm

A year+ review
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2006, 10:47 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
hmmm,what  is your pre,source,speakers ect-

do you leave them on 24/7-

mine had a major change after a few hundred hours or so-nothing like you describe

I have a Tempest Extreme, SCD777es, jmLab Cobalt speakers. Quatro speaker cables and Premium ICs. I leave them on 24/7. Maybe I don't have enough hours on them yet.

pfradale

A year+ review
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2006, 11:06 pm »
Of course, some would argue that our ears just get used to what we hear, and that the gear doesn't change, rather, we do. The only way to know for sure would be to keep an original Stratos on hand and A/B it with a pair of mono extremes.

Atol

A year+ review
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2006, 07:03 am »
Quote from: pfradale
Thanks, they really are the best speakers I've heard--it's a shame Nick couldn't make a go of it, but that just makes the speakers that much rarer! Here's a (lame) shot I took a moment ago of the system so you could see the speakers.

Gallery shot

Good lord those things are massive.  :o

pfradale

A year+ review
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2006, 10:16 am »
True, no getting around that.  That said, however, I (and the wife) got used to having them in the living room pretty quickly.  The other thing (flame suit on) is that I have heard and owned other speakers, some satellite, some floor-standing, all smaller than my current rig, and simply put, they do not hold a candle to these.  Do a search on google for Lambda Acoustics TD15 woofers and Unity Horn and you can get a sense of how folks feel about them.  You have to build them yourself, of course, but that just made me even more attached to them.

Absolutley effortless, smooth, clear, tight, you name it, these deliver.  I truly hope they last a lifetime as I do not want anything else.

Steve Houlihan of the Bass List came over for a listen some years back, when I was running them with a Carver amp and low-end Sony multi-player.  You can see the review here:

http://www.snippets.org/pipermail/diyspeakers.not/2002-October/004609.html

I would love for him to hear them now with the Odyssey/SCD-1.

djbnh

A year+ review
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2006, 11:58 am »
Quote from: Atol
Good lord those things are massive.  :o

Amazing what they are doing with casket design these days!  :wink:

pfradale

A year+ review
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2006, 11:09 pm »
I have to dig up the picture of me inside one as I was building it.  :lol: