Very New, Very Curious

Chowder_head

Very New, Very Curious
« on: 11 Aug 2005, 01:08 pm »
I never heard of Omega before.  I know knothing about high-efficiency speakers.  I know even less about hifi equipment.  And i am located in Denmark.  But that did not stop me from purchasing a Blue Circle CS integrated amp. (SS - 20x50 W @ 8ohm, 75W @ 4 ohms) without ever hearing it!  Stupid, lucky, or hidden instinct?

Now the question of speakers has come up.  I have a pair of conventional Audiovector 2.5-way floorstanding Mi-3 speakers, which probably none of you have heard before, because they have no distribution in the US, i think.  But they are big and i really have to crank up the volume before the music flows beautifully in my room, about 5x5 M^2, maybe a bit bigger.  I listen to blues, vocals, acoustic music and non-hard indie rock mainly.  Do the names, M. Ward, Damien Jurado, the Shins and Rilo Kiley ring any bells?

Would any of the Omega speakers fit me and my existing system?  How do i find out more, without actually hearing them?  Is the President of this company accessible?  What are his objectives in life? Are the loudspeaker owners a passionate tight-knit group?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Very New, Very Curious
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2005, 01:25 pm »
Welcome Chowder_head,

You ask very interesting questions.  I would be interested hear some replies.

Is the President of this company accessible? What are his objectives in life? Are the loudspeaker owners a passionate tight-knit group?

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Very New, Very Curious
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2005, 02:08 pm »
Welcome to Audiocircles. Like you, I have never heard Omega speakers before. I have ordered the new B200 Aperiodic based on a number of factors. 1. After reviewing the threads in the Audiocircles Omega sub forum I did not find even 1 negative or derogatory comment or post. 2. The company owner is a frequent visitor to the forum and is very responsive to his customers. 3. After talking with him on the phone I determined that, not only was he a nice guy, but that his passion is speaker building and has been so since a very early age. His knowledge of the factors that go into the design and implementation of a cabinet have been honed by trial and error and measurement over many years and many drivers which explains why 1. is true.
      If you read through some of the threads in the Omega forum archive you will see that indeed, his customers are passionate about his products.   After googling your Audiovectors, I found out that they are relitively efficient at 91db. Most of the Omega line are more efficient than that so whatever you might end up buying will play louder than your present speakers. As to the sound, only you can determine that. In GENERAL, single driver designs will not have the kind of bass impact that you may be used to with multi-driver designs. I will be supplimenting the B200s with a subwoofer. To get an idea of the sound of the midrange presentation you might want to try and find some Tannoy speakers that use the dual concentric configuration or KEF that use the same concept. Additionally there are probably some companies in Europe that utilise the Fostex drivers found in many Omega speakers. That should give you a general idea as to the presentation you are likely to expect from an Omega design.
        You would be taking a larger gamble than myself as the shipping cost to Denmark may be substantial. There is a 30 day return window. I hope I  have answered some of your questions in a satisfactory manner. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chowder_head

Very New, Very Curious
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2005, 06:18 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  What is a B200 Aperiodic ?  I dont see it on the omega homepage.  Yah, shipping is expensive + 25% danish Vat + 15% import taxes.  But there are ways around this, partially.

How do you hook up a subwoofer, if you have only a 2-jack amplifier?  I have a line level ouput (no volume control) in the tape loop, but how would that drive a subwoofer?

I have heard the Tannoy speakers.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Very New, Very Curious
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2005, 07:26 pm »
One thing Louis (the owner of Omega) lacks is a way to get his website up to snuff. A close collaborator of his is Vinnie R of Redwine Audio who has been gracious enough to help out. See                                     http://www.redwineaudio.com/Omega_B200_Aperiodic.html for info on the B200 Aperiodic.  I have looked at the web page for the Blue Circle CS and it would seem to me that you might be able to get a line level signal to a powered sub. I suggest you contact Blue Circle as I'm sure they would be willing to guide you as they would know your exact situation.

bsuhy

Very New, Very Curious
« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2005, 01:35 am »
Quote from: Chowder_head
Thanks for the reply.  What is a B200 Aperiodic ?  I dont see it on the omega homepage.  Yah, shipping is expensive + 25% danish Vat + 15% import taxes.  But there are ways around this, partially.

How do you hook up a subwoofer, if you have only a 2-jack amplifier?  I have a line level ouput (no volume control) in the tape loop, but how would that drive a subwoofer?

I have heard the Tannoy speakers.

For hooking up a subwoofer to my two jack pre i use these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-1045

i suppose if you sub only as one input you could use some sort of Y cable. with that....

Chowder_head

Very New, Very Curious
« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2005, 12:01 pm »
For now, i think i am wasting everyone's time.  From what i can gather, using a 50 SS amp with a set of single driver speakers is a very bad match up.  I just bought the integrated and transported it 5000 or so km to a place where it is completely unkown and has no trade-in value, so i am not ready to change my system that radically.

Thank you for the help.  This is another world that looks very interesting, but it's just not the right time.

Thank you for the help.

Louis O

Very New, Very Curious
« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2005, 12:57 am »
Hi Chowder_head,

Many thanks for your posts and welcome.

In addition to all the great posts I think the B200 or the hemps will work out fine with the BC. I know Gilbert and heard the integrated you have. Also heard the purse and pumps combo here at the shop.

Thanks again,
Louis