antique sound labs

jrdcesq

antique sound labs
« on: 11 Aug 2005, 12:50 pm »
I am need advice on whether I should change integrated amps. I have the almarro A318 which uses the 6c33c and is 18 watts per channel. I am considering getting the antique sound labs 1005dt which is 8 watts 300b amp per channel. Has anyone heard the sound labs, what do you think?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
antique sound labs
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2005, 01:19 pm »
I have the Hurricanes.  They were very good sounding amps with my system but had some issues like staying on. :evil:  I sent them off to Bill at Response and had it checked out and modded.  They have been very reliable  since with only a minor glitch on tube socket pin needing a little tightening.  I would recommend Bill's modded unit.  Even if you don't get his mod with V-caps, having him go over all solder points and what not will assure you with years of trouble free use, which stock ASL is not known for.  

FYI, I am waiting to here from Bill about his own 300b amp he is developing.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
antique sound labs
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2005, 05:07 pm »
jrd, I've not heard any of the ASL integrated amps, but I do have a pair of Explorer 805s, 50Watt SETs powered with an 805.  I believe ASL amps are excellent values--one gets good to very good parts and they're generally well assembled and often are ingeniously designed.  I've substantially modified my 805s, and even with all the stuff I've added and changed, they're 100% reliable.  I understand that the early Hurricanes were somewhat unreliable but they're much better now.

The amp you're considering may well be excellent, but understand that the 300B tube is one of the most-expensive available new or NOS.  I think I'd look for one of the KT88- or EL34-powered triode-switchable integrateds rather than get into 300Bs.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
antique sound labs
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2005, 05:22 pm »
I have the almarro A318 which uses the 6c33c and is 18 watts per channel. I am considering getting the antique sound labs 1005dt which is 8 watts 300b amp per channel. Has anyone heard the sound labs, what do you think?

While the 1005 300B is an exceptional valued product, why are you considering getting rid of the Almarro? Just curious. There is something to be said for the 6C33 tube. Their EL84 amp is also a nice triode sound.

I can understand the desire for the 300B sound as this is my personal favorite among any and all SET setups.

FYI, I am waiting to here from Bill about his own 300b amp he is developing.

The circuitry is done and only waiting on chassis decissions!!

The amp you're considering may well be excellent, but understand that the 300B tube is one of the most-expensive available new or NOS. I think I'd look for one of the KT88- or EL34-powered triode-switchable integrateds rather than get into 300Bs

True..the 300B is a more expensive triode but some can be had for a reasonable investment and do last pretty long in the 1005. While I do like the KT88 single ended presentation, it just doesn't hold a candle to the true SET sound of a 300B.
 If budget is a concern, the ASL MG SI 15DT is a nice unit and very versatile. I actually preferred it with the KT90 tubes.

Bill Baker

jrdcesq

antique sound labs
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2005, 08:39 pm »
thanks for all the advice, it has been very helpful. Bill, I really like the almarro and think it is a good match with omega speakers. The reason I am considering the change is that the 300b may be a better match and I can actually make the change and have money left over so I think better sound and more money in my pocket is a good thing. I know 300bs are way more expensive than the 6c33c tubes but I shouldn't need to change them too often.

John

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
antique sound labs
« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2005, 04:55 am »
jrd: "I know 300bs are way more expensive than the 6c33c tubes but I shouldn't need to change them too often."

Ahem...until you start tube rolling.  Remember that money you said you saved?  It and lots more will be gone, soon.

:-)

Obviously, it's your money and your choice.  Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it.