Grounding issues

styx

Grounding issues
« on: 11 Aug 2005, 08:38 am »
Hi folks!

I live in Norway and I'm seriously considering trying the NuForce amps as soon as I get my new speakers. However, I'm a little concerned as I don't yet know if I'll have proper ground connections in my new apartment, and I've read here and there that the NuForce amps are likely to have problems if they're not properly grounded. Could you please elaborate on the possible issues I may encounter by using the NuForces ungrounded?

I should add that I've never had any issues with using my hifi gear ungrounded - on the contrary, I've never experienced the usual problems of ground loops, line noise etc.. The ONLY real point of a ground connection is for the excess electricity to escape the amp in case of malfunction; as a safety measure. I'd dare say that if the NuForces don't work properly without ground, they're not very well designed... :oops:

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Grounding issues
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2005, 03:59 pm »
In earlier version of NuForce, proper grounding was required as the noise has to be directed to ground. With recent upgrades, this is no longer an issue.

Having electrical ground for safty reason has nothing to do with NuForce design. That's fundamental to electronics devices where the case is grounded.  Just imagine. What if the live wire connecting from the IEC socket to the power supply become loose and touches the case? If there is no ground, then you could be electrocuted. This could happen to your hairdryer, PC or any electrical devices. What's the chance of that happening? Extremely small since every unit is tested and the IEC wires connecting the PCB is very tight.

You can talk to our distributor/dealers in Sweden, Denmark or The Netherland where many houses have no ground either. We do have customers who use NuForce amplifier without a ground.

styx

Grounding issues
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2005, 11:09 pm »
Thanks a lot! It's a great relief to hear that. I was worried about the possible noise issues. Now that that's out of the way, you'll probably get an order from Norway the next few months. 8)

Yes, as I tried to express in my original post, I agree whole-heartedly on the safety issues. :nono: