Speakers for NuForce

Russell Dawkins

Speakers for NuForce
« Reply #20 on: 19 Sep 2005, 07:34 am »
I'll respond, mmakshak.

I was just finishing a long, detailed and closely reasoned response to you  which took me a full 1/2 hour to compose when I made the mistake of going to the previous page to check the wording in your post, forgetting that you can just scroll down, and in the process lost the whole damned thing. This has happened once or twice before and it drives me nuts!

Anyway the gist of it was this notion dates from an era (turntables, pre CD) when the source was highly variable in quality, particularly in that arcane aspect of subliminal-but-not-inconsequential time errors of the "wow and flutter" variety. At that time the argument could be said to make some sense. CDs changed all that. Now the differences at the source end are much more subtle.

Now, I believe that by far the most important variable in most systems is the speaker/room aspect. With a high degree of accuracy at that end of the system, more meaningful choices can be made upsteam in that they can now be heard!

So I say research carefully and start with the best speakers you can('t) afford, position them properly, treat the room appropriately and work upstream. Amps next, so you can judge preamps, and source last. Then you will go further upstream for choices of recordings.

I also think that the same rules apply further upstream, possibly including microphones. For example, the quality of the talent of the mixing engineer is more important than the actual equipment used - the board, the mic preamps - even the microphones. I have heard great results, for example, on stand up bass where a Shure SM 57 (the one you can hammer nails with) was used. The "trickle up" theory ends with the mics, though. In the end there is no substitute for good music and good musical talent.

That's my thinking and I'm currently putting my money where my mouth is!

Russell

bhobba

Speakers for NuForce
« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2005, 12:01 am »
Quote from: Russell Dawkins
Now, I believe that by far the most important variable in most systems is the speaker/room aspect. With a high degree of accuracy at that end of the system, more meaningful choices can be made upsteam in that they can now be heard!

I could not agree more.  At the present time one of the most under addressed issues is room correction.  I think a choice you need to make early on is if you wish to do something about it.  If you decide to then the DEQX is worthy of your consideration.  And if you decide to go that route then it will have a drastic effect on your speakers - best results will be obtained by using its active crossovers and having an amplifier for each driver.  A number of manufactures are offering speakers specifically for this eg Salk and VMPS.   But you will need an amplifier for each driver.  For this I believe NuForce is to be commended because they offer discounts for using 5 or more units.  Yes this is the expensive option but IMHO is the way of the future.  I have read of a number of people who have gone this route and despite using only mediocre speakers in the sense of cost they perform better than speakers costing more than the total cost of the system.  Needless to say this is the direction I am going for my new system.

Thanks
Bill

seadogs1

Speakers for NuForce
« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2005, 02:58 pm »
Have Nuforce itself, or any owners or reps tried the 9 monoblocks with the Sound Lab M-1's? Are they a good match? :?:

mmakshak

I kind-of understand where you are coming from
« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2005, 05:55 pm »
I remember how hard it was(impossible, really) to set-up a turntable with tube electronics.  The sound was so beautiful, that is subtracted from evaluating timing-mostly.  So, I can see with digital, since it gets all the hi-fi parameters correct, that speakers could be important(or the most important).  It's just that I remember trying to convince people that the speakers change(for the better) when the source improves.  By the way, the British press had it correct.  It's just in the US that we never gave enough credence to this.

KJ

Speakers for NuForce
« Reply #24 on: 22 Oct 2005, 11:45 pm »
I've now demoed the Nuforce Reference 9 amps with the following speakers:

VMPS RM30
VMPS RM40
VMPS LRC
Usher Audio 6381
Usher Audio X-718
Dynaudio Contour S 5.4
B&W Nautilus HTM1

All of them were driven from quiet to ear deafening levels without any load issues.  I believe all of the monitors (centers included) could have settled with the Reference 8.  If you have any specific questions pertaining to the sound characteristics or matching the Reference amps with the above mentioned speakers, feel free to ask.

-KJ

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
Speakers for NuForce
« Reply #25 on: 14 Nov 2005, 03:58 am »
how about tyler linbrook signature system, they are 25-25kh 4 ohm 92db 50-300 watt speakers , the price point, and reviews of these amps are a real eye opener. do ya think the 8 or 9? would go well with them

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Speakers for NuForce
« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2005, 07:11 am »
Ref 8 should be sufficient with 92db efficiency speaker. If you're not sure, contact us to audition the Ref 8.

r4m

Speakers for NuForce
« Reply #27 on: 25 Mar 2006, 01:50 am »
Hi,

Im french and i use Preamp Nuforce P8 and 2 amplifiers Reference 8.5B with a french monitor speakers, Divatech MC26. A cd player is Arcam CD192.

this is a divatech internet site

http://www.divatech.fr/

igroucho

Speakers for NuForce
« Reply #28 on: 25 Mar 2006, 07:05 am »
Quote from: r4m
Hi,

Im french and i use Preamp Nuforce P8 and 2 amplifiers Reference 8.5B with a french monitor speakers, Divatech MC26. A cd player is Arcam CD192.

this is a divatech internet site

http://www.divatech.fr/

1) I think this belongs under thread of either setup or advertising.
and come on: "English version of official website will be available on 2003.
Thank you very much for your patience..." !!!
That don't enhance my confidence in Divatech - shame!!!

r4m

Speakers for NuForce
« Reply #29 on: 26 Mar 2006, 12:19 pm »
lol

in fact, divatech is an excellent engineer in speakers, but bad in communication

paulgoldstone

Re: Speakers for NuForce (MBL's)
« Reply #30 on: 15 Jul 2006, 06:32 pm »
I am considering purchasing MBL 101 E's. I am also impressed with many of the Nuforce amplification characteristics. The MBL are roughly 80db inefficient. Would any one care to comment on the likelihood that the Nuforce might pair well with the MBL’s? MBL also advises users to either bi-wired or bi-amp the 101 E's. I would appreciate learning as much as I can about this possible combination. Thanks in advance!
Paul

paul canady

Re: Speakers for NuForce
« Reply #31 on: 23 Jul 2006, 12:10 am »
MBL 101 E's, Wow! I would contact MBL and Nuforce for recommendations. If I had the chance to own MBL 101 E this is what I would do. Nuforce 9se for the high pass and 9.02's for the low. Or start out with a pair of 9se's first and then go from there. The control that Nuforce has over the bass would make me buy them just for the low pass anyway's. Get Nuforce to send you something so you can tell us the details. The power of the Nuforce amps are under-rated and could just about power any load and at 80db this would be a good test. If anyone cares the JM Lab electra 936's work great with these and the sweet spot is as wide as my couch.

mmakshak

« Reply #32 on: 27 Jul 2006, 06:13 am »
  I upgraded my Nuforce 8.02b's to the 8.5's.  I did this for several reasons.  One, I was using the Cardas adaptors with my single-ended preamp(RGR-3).  This added another connection to the system.  Secondly, I was told by two manufacturers(APL Hi-Fi and Oritek Audio) that the Nuforce(8.02's) were really single-ended amps.  Third, I would not be allowed to further upgrade my amps to the 9.02's(or SE's) from the 8.02's.  My conclusion, after upgrading, is that people that own the 8.02's(since they supposedly are identical to 8.5's) should investigate the power cord that comes with the 8.5's.  While my cheap Volex power cords provided more treble detail than the standard 8.5's power cords, they are certainly inferior overall to the standard power cords on the 8.5's.  Food for thought?  I recommend this following record to people who don't have the singles.

stingfan

« Reply #33 on: 27 Jul 2006, 06:49 am »
Has anyone used the Nuforce with the Zu Cable Druid mk4 speakers? The Druids are characterized by their very high efficiency (101dB) and high impedance of 12ohm nominal, 7.5ohm minimum and 22ohm maximum.

How small is the noise floor of the Nuforce amplifiers? High efficiency speakers tend to amplify the noise levels that may be inaudible for the less efficient speakers.

Another concern I have is with the gain of the amplifier. A high gain may amplify the noise floor of source components. I understand the Nuforce has a gain of 26dB. Would that be too high for such high efficiency speakers? Is it possible to lower the gain of the Nuforce amps?

I have the Ref 9.02's with Zu Cable Druid Mk4's, Libtec cables, and the P-8 pre-amp.  I can tell you that the combination is incredibly dynamic.  A great match.  With the stock 26dB gain, the system is incredibly detailed, yet still very musical.  The pairing of the Nuforce bass magic, with the Zu's almost crossoverless near perfect coherent design, and willingness to be pushed down to 35Hz, the Nuforce truly get them there.  The super tweeters are a great balance, as they remind us that the Nuforce's are not just about great bass.  The combination is really quite interesting.  It has even caught my non-audiophile friends by surprise, and suddenly they appreciate what good audio is all about, and not via a 2 hour listening session...just 90 seconds into their favorite song, where they hear things they've never noticed before.  And all of this with just 120 hrs of total break-in thus far.  This is the best combo I've owned in 20 years.  Previous system:  Linn Aktiv, all the top-end components in their lineup.

wilfredt

« Reply #34 on: 5 Jan 2007, 08:23 pm »
I would like to boost this thread by asking if anyone has tested or has any experience with Ref 9s/9SEs with the much raved about Acoustic Zen Adagios with 6 ohms impedance and 89db sensitivity.

Any experience with Ref 9 and Adagios will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Christof

« Reply #35 on: 6 Jan 2007, 04:44 am »
Not Adagios but on more than one occasion I've heard these little giants push a pair of SP Tech Revelation MR-1's to near concert levels without fault.

Revelations:
PEAK POWER HANDLING   Greater than 1,000 WATTS (10mS)
SHORT TERM MAXIMUM POWER HANDLING   600 WATTS (I.E.C. 268-5)
LONG TERM MAXIMUM POWER HANDLING   250 WATTS (I.E.C. 268-5)
SENSITIVITY   88 dB SPL @ 1-Watt @ 1-Meter
IMPEDANCE   4-OHMS (nominal)

raven

« Reply #36 on: 30 Jan 2007, 06:06 am »
I use my Nuforce IA-7 together with a pair of "Oskar Heil Kithara" from Precide, sensitivity 94db, 4 ohm minimum.
But I´m planning to upgrade my IA-7 to 2x100w. for improved dynamics.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #37 on: 12 Feb 2007, 10:46 am »
Upgrading 50Wx2 IA-7 to 100Wx2 IA-7 (upgrade price: US$150) cost less than the new IA-7 and that's how we take care of customers :).

raven

« Reply #38 on: 12 Feb 2007, 08:35 pm »
 :banana piano: I´ve got 2x100w now
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2007, 08:05 pm by raven »

mmakshak

« Reply #39 on: 30 Mar 2007, 05:09 pm »
  This is not necessarily related, but I seem to recall reading from Nuforce that the only difference between their 8.5's(which I own) and their 9's have to do(in a way) with speaker efficiency.  My DCM Time Windows are very inefficient.  I have heard one song(Pretender's, "Private Lies(Lives?)"-a live version) that sounded so much different on my system than on,admittedly, an expensive system, that I'm questioning many things in my system.  The $135,000 speaker system was more efficient, and since I can't afford them, I was looking at speaker efficiency as one area I could address.  I have this song on cd, from a cdr made from what I heard.  I also have a good idea as to how it sounded there.  Anyone(especially Casey or Jason) have any ideas here?  The song was so different, that I now question how accurate speakers are.  This is not about tonal accuracy, which I think is overrated.  This is about two different songs(same cd), when played on different systems.  BTW, I can bring this Cdr to your place, Nuforce.