Dyna ST-70 xformers replacement - Help please

rmihai0

« on: 9 Aug 2005, 08:54 pm »
Hi,

it seems the transformers from my old Dynaco ST-70 are gone. I need to replace them - for sure.

In your opinion, which transformers do you like best to replace the output and power transformers from Dynaco ST-70.

I am considering the ones from Triode Electronics. Are they as good as the originals? Is out there anything better?

Thank you

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2005, 09:32 pm »
I am satisfied with the Triode replacement power transformer (probably better than the original) and the Triode replacement choke.

I am less happy with the Triode replacement audio output transformers which show a bit of high frequency ringing with our Ultimate 70 circuits (they may be fine for a stock Dyna St-70 circuit which is much slower).

I suggest you investigate Magnequest for replacement Dyna St-70 audio output transformers.  They provide excellent performance.

Frank Van Alstine

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2005, 01:41 am »
By the time you replace all three transformers ($260 + shipping), you may be better off buying another ST-70 from EBay :( I'm seeing nice-looking amps going for under $300.

If the three of them really are gone, I would be interested in buying your amp (w/o trannies), as I have an ST-70 here but the chassis is in desperately poor condition.

PS I think we're in the wrong circle. Should we move this thread to Vintage?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2005, 07:31 pm »
I should have mentioned that I have never seen a Dyna St-70 amplifier will all of the transformers defective at the same time.  How did you determine that all the transformers are defective?

Do you want to call me about it?  651-330-9871

Frank Van Alstine