Loudness Button

John151

Loudness Button
« on: 9 Aug 2005, 12:27 am »
Do you remember the "loudness button" that was common on stereos back in the 70s and 80s (and 90s?)?  These buttons basically boosted the bass.  Well, I just added one to my Tempest.  Well, not actually, but my new Groneberg cables remind me of that feature from the past.  I probably should not make the comparison between these two as the "loudness button" was not exactly an Audiophile feature, but that was the first thing that came to mind after installing the cables.  After making the swap with the Monster ICs,  I fired everything up and hit play on the CDP.  I  had not even gotten to my seat before I was amazed by how the bass was so much more pronounced.   In fact, the bass was so much stronger that one of my Maggies started to rattle (a problem with aging Maggies).  My left speaker has shown this rattle in the past  on a few tracks when played really loud,  but only in the winter when the humidity is low.  However, the tracks I was playing (Billy Joel and Stacey Kent) never caused a rattle before, I was not playing very loud, and I have never heard the rattle in the summer before.

And to think  I used to be a non-believer in hig-end cables.  Well, I am still skeptical of the power cables.  I alsohave a hard time believing that cables can break in, so I will wait and see on this one.