Most Superbit DVDs On Sale at BestBuy

Wayne1

« on: 8 Aug 2005, 10:53 pm »
Most Superbit DVDs are on sale this week at BestBuy.

Either on line or in the store.

$9.99 each

KILLER DEAL!!

You have to look a bit carefully through their on-line store to make sure you get the Superbit titles. A general search of Superbit doesn't turn them up. If you search each title, you should be able to find them.

Here is a link to the Superbit catalog
http://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/superbit/catalog.html

edited to reflect reality

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2005, 10:56 pm »
Thanks Wayne!!

I have to get a SB copy of The Fifth Element one of these days.....

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2005, 01:57 am »
Ok, for a little easier list...

Titles on sale
Adaptation
Air Force One
Bad Boys
Bad Boys II
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Charlie's Angels
Cirque Du Soleil - Dralion
Cliffhanger
Desperado
The Fifth Element
Gattaca
The Guns Of Navarone
Hook
Johnny Mnemonic
A Knight's Tale
Lawrence Of Arabia
Legends Of The Fall
Léon: The Professional
The Mask Of Zorro  
Men In Black
Men In Black II
The Missing
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
Panic Room
The Patriot
Punch-Drunk Love
Resident Evil
S.W.A.T.
Seven Years In Tibet
Snatch
Spider-man
Spider-man 2
Underworld
xXx

Titles not on sale
Anaconda
The Big Hit
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Das Boot
From Here To Eternity
Hollow Man
John Carpenter's Vampires
The One
The Quick And The Dead
Riverdance-live From New York
Starship Troopers
Tommy  
Vertical Limit  

Not sure if it's on sale or not
The Dark Crystal
Heavy Metal 2000
Labyrinth

The three movies that I can't tell if they're on sale or not don't show up on the Bestbuy site.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2005, 02:04 am »
So I went & picked up Bad Boys II & Snatch just now. :thumb:

I knew Bad Boys II was on sale, but not sure if Snatch was as I didn't check before I left the house. Neither DVD had been marked down, nor had any other Superbit title.

But they rang up at the sale price. :mrgreen:

So if you know which ones are on sale, you shouldn't have any problem picking them up if they're in stock at your local BB...

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2005, 05:24 am »
Has anyone seen anything listing how long this sale is going on?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2005, 05:30 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Has anyone seen anything listing how long this sale is going on?
I don't know :? ...but around here, its usually a one week sale ending Saturday nite.

RoadTripper

really dumb question
« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2005, 03:22 pm »
What is a super-bit DVD? Any 'ol DVD player play them? Like the new OPPO?

bubba966

Re: really dumb question
« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2005, 03:33 pm »
Quote from: Seminarian
What is a super-bit DVD?

A Superbit DVD is Sony's line of high quality DVD's. They take off the extra sound/commentary tracks. They also take off all of the trailers & other extras.

Taking off all of the crap but the movie leaves a good amount of space to use on a DVD.

So they use that space by providing a higher bitrate DD soundtrack, a DTS track, and a very high bitrate video portion.

So what you end up with is the least compressed best quality DVD you can get for a particular movie when you get a Superbit copy.

Actually Superbit DVD's are quite a bit better than nearly every non-Superbit DVD ever released.

Any 'ol DVD player play them?

Yes, any DVD player can play them.

Like the new OPPO?

Yeah, like the new OPPO. In fact, I'm guessing that Wayne started this thread because he was watching the Superbit Underworld I loaned him and decided that he wanted one of his own. And then found that Bestbuy was having this sale...

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2005, 03:34 pm »
What is a Superbit DVD

Here is a link to Sony's explanation with some graphs.

Here is a quick explanation:
"The Superbit™ titles utilize a high bit rate digital transfer process which optimizes video quality while offering a choice of both DTS and 5.1 Dolby Digital audio. Superbit™ DVDs are encoded at about double their normal bit rate while maintaining full compatibility with the DVD-Video format. The result is picture quality that provides outstanding detail and is the closest to the original master available on DVD to date. Superbit™ DVDs play on current players and needs no additional DVD equipment. "

Roughly the Superbit DVDs get rid of all the extras so that the video and audio portion of the movie does not have to be so compressed to fit on one disc.

The difference between the regular commercial release and Superbit can be quite dramatic.

I use the Superbit of Fifth Element as my main reference disc for video detail.

RoadTripper

Thanks
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2005, 03:39 pm »
Thanks, Wayne. I will try to pick one up this weekend and check it out.

mca

« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2005, 04:32 pm »
If one were to purchase maybe five or so of the Superbit titles, what would be the top picks sound and picture wise?

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2005, 06:19 pm »
Quote from: mca
If one were to purchase maybe five or so of the Superbit titles, what would be the top picks sound and picture wise?

Of the $10 titles I'd say these were great

Bad Boys
Bad Boys II
Charlie's Angels
Desperado
The Fifth Element
Léon: The Professional
Resident Evil
Spider-man
Spider-man 2
Underworld

Though any of the titles that less than 8 to 10 years old should look great as they'd have been transferred well from a good condition negative.

Just not all of them are as impressive as the others.

Hollow Man & The Big Hit are impressive discs as well. But they're not on sale. And Starship Troopers & Crouching Tiger should be great as well considering how well the standard copies look & sound.

Ears

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2005, 08:16 pm »
Will probably pick up a few more SB's tommorow when I am there picking up my copy of Sin City...which imo will rival any SB title for picture/dts sound....as I had a sneak peak :wink:

bubba966

« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2005, 07:31 pm »
Looks like they're still on sale...

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2005, 09:52 pm »
Quote from: Ears
Will probably pick up a few more SB's tommorow when I am there picking up my copy of Sin City...which imo will rival any SB title for picture/dts sound....as I had a sneak peak :wink:

How is that Sin City disc?

Looks like I am headed back to Best Buy for a couple SB titles I missed.

These do have a great picture but the difference is best noted on a larger screen for sure.

nature boy

« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2005, 10:16 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  I bought a bunch this past Saturday. :D

NB

Ears

« Reply #16 on: 17 Aug 2005, 08:23 am »
Quote from: heavystarch
Quote from: Ears

How is that Sin City disc?

Looks like I am headed back to Best Buy for a couple SB titles I missed.

These do have a great picture but the difference is best noted on a larger screen for sure.

The Sin City transfer sets the new bar of all dvd transfers imo....and I own at least 26 SB titles and most every dvd considedred reference.
I perceive no EE in this transfer at all.
It actually looks better than the theatrical release which I thought was the best I had ever seen.

The BB I went to, actually sold me Vertical Limit and Hollowman for the 9.99 price as well as MIB 1&2, A Knights Tale and The Patriot.

Some BB's were/are charging sticker for Vertical Limit, Hollowman and Das Boots and possibly a few other SB titles and there website also lists some of these as sticker price.

I would try and get the 9.99 price if they try to charge list on any SB in stock.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 26 Sep 2005, 02:28 am »
I just bought 10 SuperBit titles today! :)   A couple are ones I had but sold when I was oow, many are ones I intended to get long ago but never did.  I was particularly pleased to get The Patriot for $10- being an SB Deluxe, that one used to be $28.

I almost didn't buy Underworld SB.  The movie was great, but IMO the extra footage added back to the new edition makes it a vastly better film.  Still, $10 for the SB version was too much to pass up.

bubba966

« Reply #18 on: 26 Sep 2005, 03:07 am »
It appears that this is actually a promotion put on by Sony. I caught a display at one of the local BB's (not one of the other local ones though :evil: ) that looked like Sony advertising the $9.99 Superbit sale.

And there was no mention of any titles being excluded from the sale. Might have to re-do the title list on the first page.

Quote from: Rob Babcock
I almost didn't buy Underworld SB.  The movie was great, but IMO the extra footage added back to the new edition makes it a vastly better film.  Still, $10 for the SB version was too much to pass up.

While I too liked the extended cut of the film better than the theatrical cut, the SB disc is soooooooooooo much better as far as A/V quality is concerned. So much so that I'd rather watch the SB disc than the extended disc.

How could you not pick up the SB version?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2005, 03:12 am »
No, you misunderstand- I did buy the SB Underworld.  I did so with some misgivings, considering how much better film the longer version is, but I couldn't pass on getting the SB.  Especially at $9.99.