RM40 Epiphany

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com

MaxCast

RM40 Epiphany
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2005, 04:38 pm »
Brian, are your speakers on the long or short wall?

Thanks,

Brian Cheney

placement
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2005, 05:02 pm »
I use short wall placement, with the speakers about 5' out from the back wall and toed in to crossfire about 5 ft in front of the listening position.

CornellAlum

RM40 Epiphany
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2005, 07:19 pm »
Nice read.  Since we are talking reviews, I saw a mention in TAS about vmps in the editorial section last month or was it what hifi, I can't remember at the moment.  Is there a reason we do not see reviews of vmps speaks in big mags?  Just curious.

brj

Re: placement
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2005, 07:25 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
I use short wall placement, with the speakers about 5' out from the back wall and toed in to crossfire about 5 ft in front of the listening position.

Distance from speakers to listening position?

John B

RM40 Epiphany
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2005, 07:40 pm »
Is there a reason we do not see reviews of vmps speaks in big mags?

I can think of a couple of reasons, but I swore off big audio advertising bias making mainstream press review bashing for New Years  :lol:  Boy, that was a mouthful  :wink:

CornellAlum

RM40 Epiphany
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2005, 07:50 pm »
I figured as much, I just happen to like reading reviews of stuff I couldn't possibly afford at the moment. :lol:   I also have learned quite a bit from the measurements in the reviews, as I knew nothing about speaker design until I subscribed to the 'phile 4 months ago.

mcrespo71

RM40 Epiphany
« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2005, 08:29 pm »
Quote from: John B
Is there a reason we do not see reviews of vmps speaks in big mags?

I can think of a couple of reasons, but I swore off big audio advertising bias making mainstream press review bashing for New Years  :lol:  Boy, that was a mouthful  :wink:

Then why did Stereophile review empirical audio's cables?  I don't see any big advertising $$$ coming from Empirical Audio.

Michael

CornellAlum

RM40 Epiphany
« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2005, 08:34 pm »
Same goes for the Tetra speakers I believe.  Let's not open this can of worms, audioasylum is more than happy to provide you with endless enjoyment in this area 8)

Brian Cheney

stereophile
« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2005, 12:50 am »
We did make Stereophile in 1989 with the Tower II, and also made their "recommended components' list that year.  When J Scull was with the magazine he attempted to set up a 626 review, but he was dismissed before this happened.

Only way to know for sure why Stereophile neglects VMPS is to contact John Atkinson directly and ask.  Last time I saw him was at CES in 2002, just after we won the Best of CES for High End Audio award.  He came into our booth, I showed him the trophy, he listened to the RM 40 for 3 minutes, and left without saying a word to me.

CornellAlum

RM40 Epiphany
« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2005, 01:49 pm »
I'll ask.  They seem to want a younger base of readers, so maybe they will listen to one :D