Was anyone into Industrial music back in the days?

Bemopti123

I have been going through my small vinyl collection and I found some interesting music that I bought but that I have not heard in almost 10+ years.  One of them is a record by the Belgian Group, Front 242....I played it and began to think about all those crazy "Industrial band" of the later 1980s and 1990s and even going to those dance halls while in college.

Has anyone ever been into Industrial music?

When I listen to this one record, "Tragedy for you" I began to notice how much "whimpier" most rock or other acts are today.  Some of the rifts and compositions are simply too cool to ignore.  It gives a great run to all my audiophile gear.....something that I could only dream about when I was a poor and starving college student.

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2005, 02:40 pm »
I wouldn't say I was 'into it' but I enjoyed a little Skinny Puppy every now and again during that scene in Atlanta in the early 90's... There used to be a good club in midtown right up the road from where I lived that had 3 levels... Heaven, Hell and Purgatory... good times... ;)

-C

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2005, 02:42 pm »
I was pretty big into industrial in my early college days but this was in hindsight as this was circa '93-94, which was technically post-industrial.  My interest in industrial was motivated by NIN, Ministry, Skinny Puppy.  I have many Front 242 albums, although none on vinyl.  

I think one of the great colllections I have come across of industrial music was "Industrial Revolution: Vol II" (Vol I is basically the same volume but harder to come by) by Cleopatra Records.  That spawned many further purchases.  I was a fan of many Skinny Puppy/Ministry side projects.

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2005, 02:43 pm »
Skinny Puppy was beyond industrial....I thought that their stuff was a beyond little crazy.  hehehe.  BTW, the amplifier I am using I got it from you, the Scott Nixon monoblocks which I sent to be modified to Canada.  Am I right?

Paul

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2005, 02:48 pm »
Some other bands that were interesting were

Meat Beat Manifesto

There was even this one "vegetarian" hip-hop industrial band from SF....I forgot their name...very interesting lyrics...one of the few that were considered industrial wth rap on it....CONSOLIDATED!

Industrial records and singles are very cool to listen to indeed.  Better in vinyl than on CD.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2005, 02:51 pm »
I also have this 3 CD box set called the "Black Box" by Wax Trax records.  Lots of Ministry side projects and other tasty treats.

R_burke

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2005, 03:27 pm »
Don't forget Front Line Assembly, My life with the Thrill Kill Cult, KMFDM, Lords of Acid and Praga Khan.

I used to go see a lot of this live at Maritime Hall in San Francisco.  Halloween shows were especially good

gongos

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2005, 08:59 pm »
Still am.

Check out: Chrome, Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle, and Cabaret Voltaire for some early industrial that sounds 20 times more innovative than the industrial music of the last 15 years.

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2005, 09:19 pm »
I heard BIGOD20, "On the Run" on vinyl.  Dang, I felt like headbanging.  Anyone was into "mosh pits" on the fave banging grounds?  My bro, who is a doc now, used to hang out with a group of industrial heads and someone knocked themselves against him....making a little cut in his head with their their tooth by a mistake.  No wonder my bro rather crazy.

gitarretyp

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2005, 09:43 pm »
A few industrial bands i really like that haven't been listed so far are: Apoptygma Berzerk, VNV Nation, Sheep on Drugs, and Velvet Acid Christ. They're a bit lighter than bigod20, by the way  :wink:

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2005, 10:02 pm »
Apo...Byzerk...I have the CD.  They came out much after the rest.  Their first CD sounds good.

Bemopti123

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2005, 10:02 pm »
Apo...Byzerk...I have the CD.  They came out much after the rest.  Their first CD sounds good.

Carlman

« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2005, 10:14 pm »
Quote from: Bemopti123
Skinny Puppy was beyond industrial....I thought that their stuff was a beyond little crazy.  hehehe.  BTW, the amplifier I am using I got it from you, the Scott Nixon monoblocks which I sent to be modified to Canada.  Am I right?

Paul

I think you bought them from me... then one didn't work so I asked you to ship them to Scott for a complete overhaul... which he did.  I was 50/50 on selling them after that... Scott turned my DIY job into what looked like a nice, finished/manufactured set.  Scott's a super guy.

Thanks for dealing with me on that one!

-Carl

DeanSheen

« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2005, 05:57 pm »
Ahhh yes, Skinny Puppy.  Throbbing Gristle is excellnt..... PTV anyone?

I heard this one Velvet Acid Christ song that was fabulous.  Never picked it up though.  

Lets not forget SPK and Controlled Bleeding.