Omega B200 OB

Smitty

Omega B200 OB
« on: 6 Aug 2005, 12:32 pm »
I know that an OB is just a driver on a baffle. They can also look bad. I'd bet that Louis could build a great looking, and sounding OB using the B200 that he will already be purchasing.  I have gotten hooked on the whole OB approach after reading all the great information that has been posted, but I do not even own a saw, let alone a router.

Also, Vinnie has said that the OB configuration had that 3D imaging thing going on, that I prefer.  For ease of shipping, some simple assembly would be no problem. For those with enough watts, perhaps an Omega version of the No Box.

If there is enough interest for Louis to consider this, I do agree to purchase the first one. Considering the amount of laminate, or veneer required, I understand that it would be a large part of the price. I would be happy to pay a good price for it, as I'm sure it would look as good as it sounds.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Omega B200 OB
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2005, 02:28 pm »
I agree, Louis does great work, but any local cabinetmaker or countertop shop should be able to provide a couple of baffles with cutouts.  

The trick is knowing what you want.  The fun is in experimenting with sheet goods and a jig saw ($20 new).  Do you have a place to do the cutting?  (Bob Brines built several pairs of very nice speaker cabinets using only handtools on his little apartment patio.

albee

Omega B200 OB
« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2005, 05:00 pm »
I recently have been attracted to the OB concept.  It would be so easy to do that it's got DIY written all over, so:  Is it best to start with 3/4" or 1" MDF or birch and should it be raked about 4 or 5 degrees?

What have you guys tried?

Smitty

Omega B200 OB
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2005, 05:11 pm »
Thanks and I could do what you suggest.  But I would not find the process enjoyable.  Plus, I would enjoy seeing the profit go to support a company that has done right by so many others, and me. This in lieu of ordering the parts, finding a cabinet maker with the time to build a baffle I would have gotten off the internet, and then always wondering if they would have sounded better with a different offset, or dimension. If Omega made such a product, I would feel better knowing that the trial and error had been done by someone who has the experience, and sound measurement equipment to optimize his design. He may, for example, modify the driver to work better in that design.

I do admire those who love to tweak, and I do with things like room treatment, placement, cables etc. When it comes to speakers, I'd rather wait for the knock on the door.

Louis O

Omega B200 OB
« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2005, 05:20 pm »
Hi Smitty,

I could work it out for you and I would make a constrained layer for the board. No worries at all.

If it's ok with Dmason I can put together his Darkstar OB.

Thanks again,
Louis

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Omega B200 OB
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2005, 12:29 pm »
Albee,

As the open baffle has almost no pressure on it, you can use almost any decent material.  1/4 inch plywood would be light and relatively cheap to experiment with.  A slight angle of respose helps with stablity and allows the driver to be located closer to the floor to pick up a larger effective baffle size.

Open baffle offers soundstaging/imaging thats quite different from traditional speakers (less precise, but much larger and actually more natural).  The disadvantages are need for high Qts and lack of bass.  To achieve "full bass response" you need to add a powered sub and EQ.  Eliminating the need for EQ (and possibly the sub, depending on your taste/room) is the contribution that Louis' aperiodic cabinet makes.

Smitty,

Yes by all means support Louis, but you'll not know the trade offs of baffle size versus depth of bass response without experimentation.

albee

Omega B200 OB
« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2005, 06:37 pm »
JLM, thanks for the info.

JiffyBoob

Omega B200 OB
« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2005, 12:27 am »
As a happy owner of the full range Dark Stars, I could strongly endorse the idea of a collaboration on the start of Omega-built Dark Stars. This is an insanely great method of speakers for musical enjoyment. Louis could take what Dmason has figured out and apply his cabinetmaking skills to great end. I really like that idea. You cannot go wrong with the B200 in open baffles, that is what they had in mind.

J@ck

Omega B200 OB
« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2005, 12:22 am »
What is the Darkstar OB looks like? How big is it?
From the posts I got the impression it is a sealed box with an large baffle. Is there any photos?
Also I have been thinking about the NoBox BB design for a long time now. I figured I can use a software for the crossover if using a muiltchannel soundcard, programs like Foobar would be just fine. I think that is the easiest and cheapest way to do it.