Poll

Should we offer 6-modular-channels or 7-modular-channels?

6-Channels
5 (22.7%)
7-Channels
17 (77.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: 1 Aug 2005, 05:20 am

6 or 7 Channel ICEpower Modular Amp? POLL

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« on: 1 Aug 2005, 05:20 am »
Hi Folks,

We're developing a Modular, Multi-channel ICEpower amplifier and we'd like to get your input on a particularly important subject.

Should we go with 6 or 7 channels?

You will have a choice of 125watt, 250watt and 500watt modules with XLR & RCA inputs, WBT style binding posts and a main 20AMP IEC320 power cord inlet(installing a dedicated 20amp outlet would be advised for higher power needs). We plan to offer these through Custom HT Install Shops, High End Audio retailers and factory direct to the public.  We'll offer a Pre/Processor down the road as well.

By the way, any other suggestions are welcome and we'd like to hear them here or via email as well.  

Thanks for the feedback!  :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2005, 07:49 am »
I'd really be more interested in a 5 channel model.  So far I haven't embraced and 6/7 channel and I don't foresee doing so.  For me the 6th and 7th channels would be a waste.

I have been following your Red Dragon stuff as best I can, and I've been waiting to see if the MC amps are coming soon.  ICEPower monoblocs would be a great idea, too.

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2005, 01:00 pm »
While I'm not in the market for an amp, the discussions in various home theater forums seem to indicate that 7 channel is far more popular than 6 channel (and 5 is more popular than either 6 or 7).  It's pretty uncommon to see a 6 channel amp.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2005, 01:51 pm »
Here is my take on the situation...

I don't see the point of a 7 channel amp, other than for pure specs.  Just add a second set of binding posts to the 6th channel and voila a 7th channel since the 6th & 7th channel are from one mono channel no matter how you configure it.

With the advent of active multiamping, 6 channel amps are becoming more popular.  Of course this could be miniscule compared to the demanf from the HT market, but who knows.  Speakers like the Linkwitz Orion come to mind when thinking of such a setup.

Now for the 5 channel guys.  How much of a waste is an extra channel really?  Depending on how many PSUs the amp has, there could be a lot more flexibility in a 6 channel amp.  I personally would never buy a multichannel amp with a single PSU.

pugs

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2005, 02:23 pm »
7 channel.  Even if you have a 5.1 system you can use 2 channels for multi zone purposes or to biamp your mains.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2005, 03:47 pm »
Thanks for the posts thus far.  Keep 'em coming! :wink:

Just as a bit of clarification on this POLL.

The Customer is in charge of choosing how many channels they need/want.  He/she won't be forced to buy ALL 6 or 7 channels at once but the option to expand is there for the future.   The customer simply purchases the main frame case then picks as many modules as he/she needs (1-6 or 7modules).  

There will be three different amplifier modules: [list=1]
  • 125watt/250watt
  • 250watt/500watt
  • 500watt/1000watt[/list:o]  Pop the modules in place, plug the mainframe in and you're ready to go.

Even though 6 or 7 channels would be possible, you would not be required to purchase a 6th or even a 7th channel.  If you only want 5 then you just get the cover plates for the empty 6th and 7th channels.

With 6 amplifier bays and three different power modules to choose from, there will be 18 different possible configurations.  With 7 amplifier bays there will be 21 different possible configurations.

Rob Babcock,

We now offer a custom monoblock configuration for our ICEpower amps.  they are hand crafted one at a time from solid 3/4" fine hardwoods (cocobolo, bloodwood, wenge, figured walnut, bird's eye maple, or any material you like).

The top plate is one continous piece of brushed, 11AWG stainless steel that wraps around the rear and to the bottom.  It has been laser cut with the dragon logo on the top and all inputs/outputs on the rear. The laser cut dragon logo on the top has a shielded copper mesh underneath it and is backlit red to indicate that it's powered up. There will be three threaded inserts for use with AudioPoints (or other feet).

We use the Patented Custom Cardas Binding posts and offer Free re-termination of speaker cables that need spades on the amp end (you only pay for shipping of your speaker cables and the parts; labor is free).

Inputs are Neutrik silver xlr's with XLR-RCA adaptors.  There is a standard IEC input on the back so you can experiment with various power cords as well.  We'll include our Custom Red Dragon Power Cord with the amps too.

I'll post pictures soon.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2005, 05:00 pm »
anyone else care to cast their vote?

klh

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2005, 05:58 pm »
If one has the choice to put in as many amplifier modules as they please, it makes sense to give one the option of 7 and not limit them to 6. If one wants 6, they just get 6. The way I see it, the increase cost incurred by the customer who only wants 6 channels but gets a case with the possibility of 7 is minimal. As such, one would think only a small amount of people would be turned away. However, if someone wanted 7 channels, but only had the option of 6 or fewer, they would be forced to go another direction. Not only would you be more likely to lose more transactions, but you'd lose more larger transactions. Financially, I think your business would be better off providing the option of 7 channels.

klh

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2005, 06:03 pm »
What are we looking a in terms of cost?

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2005, 11:22 pm »
Hi KLH,

Thanks for your keen insights and observations; they are spot on.  I think that settles it for us then.  7 Channels it is!  thanks to all those who voted here and you can keep voting if you like. Larger samples are more useful anyway...

Pricing has not yet been set but this will be a retail product which is shift from our factory direct products we offer currently.  We are targeting high end custom installers, high end audio shops and smaller-medium sized regional chain stores like Magnolia Hi-Fi or Ultimate Electronics (which I believe is actually out of business ...)

This multichannel modular amplifier will also be useful for those who will use it for biamping, triamping etc or multi channel music (SACD/DVD-A).  This will also make for a great amplifier to use with the Linkwitz Orion speaker system.

Again thanks to those who voiced their ideas through direct posts and/or votes.

Woodsea

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2005, 05:49 am »
Is it possible to get differing outputs on a couple of the amps.  I only forsee myself as a 5.1/5.2 kinda guy.   I will be moving every 2 years or so.  So I would love to have a couple of sub amps (350 watts).  Is that feasible?

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2005, 04:03 pm »
Quote from: Woodsea
Is it possible to get differing outputs on a couple of the amps.  I only forsee myself as a 5.1/5.2 kinda guy.   I will be moving every 2 years or so.  So I would love to have a couple of sub amps (350 watts).  Is that feasible?

Hi Woodsea,

In fact that is exactly how this modular multichannel amp will work. :wink:

Here's an example:

You buy the main frame case then as many amplifier modules as you need.  Start with just two amp modules if you like or get seven; it's up to you.  There will be 7-amplifier "bays" or "slots" where you can load 1 of 3 different types of amplifier modules (8/4ohms): [list=1]
  • 125/250watt
  • 250/500watt
  • 500/1000watt[/list:o]

So if you want to use the smaller 125/250watt modules for your 5-main channels and then load the last two "slots/bays" with 250/500watt modules for your subs you can do that.

Since there will be 7 "bays/slots" and 3 different modules, there are a possible 21 different combinations.  Of course many of those combos are probably not going to show up in real situations but you get the idea.  Choice.

You have the choice of how many channels you need (up to 7) and you decide just how much power is needed at each speaker.

Hope this answers your question and we're working on the CAD drawing to send over to the CNC shop to get started on a working prototype.